Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st September 2014, 20:00   #31
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Just like to say once again thank you to all that are helping, Must owe you a few beer tokens

So today between doing the Sons Astra and getting gearbox back in, I managed to get some speed flush

Put it in the car and went for a mixed traffic type drive back home, so on duel carriage way and town traffic

Got home and car was left to cool. I then removed the PRT. Now that is fitted with the single inlet pipe pointing towards the drivers side, the other directly opposite is going to the bottom radiator hose, the one of the Y is going up towards the Turbo (not directly to turbo but in that direction)

but as said it is kinda hard to fit it any other way

I took of the heater hoses and stuck hose through each one, then through the bits the attached to, also hose in the PRt hoses and the expansion bottle. Was left with the hose on for an hour or more with the PRT fitted and the hose on, but the hose off the coming from heater to the gear box side of the head

so I would say it is well flushed, Water was clear and nothing came out (like gunge)

Reassembled everything and followed the guide ...BUT I am confused with this bit

Quote:
Disconnect hose from bleed valve. Attach suitable tube and blow through to ensure that valve pin is not sticking. Reconnect hose to bleed valve.
I do not know where this bleed valve is ?? so never did that part

I also checked the PRT (one on car and the new one) both worked when immersed in hot water...and yes I should heat up water and use a thermometer ...BUT I do not have one.

So it is a test that the thermostat will or will not open, after all it is only a bit of wax your heating up , and both opened in hot water and closed in cold water, so they work

After flushing I made sure all hoses had been replaced and on tight, removed the bleed screw, poured in water (not going to use antifreeze till problem is sorted) and used a lot of water to make sure it was well coming out the bleed screw, and always at the top of the neck

level did not drop when bleed screw was re fitted, so left it at the top of the neck..left cap off

Started car and held it at around 2000 revs until it started to rise up and over flow out of expansion bottle

fitted cap and continued to hold revs around 2000 revs until the fan cut in at 104/105 allowed car to idle till fan stopped

switched of the engine ...and allowed to cool, though I did check the bottom hoses right after the fan had stopped, and to me they are all at the same temp, quite hot none really cooler that the rest..Go figure as the Americans like to say lol...but there again I was cold tired and quite hungry by then, so maybe I am wrong

Now I then had to give some assistance to the son and getting some bits back on his car, so by then it was getting dark, and I am knackered lol

So just went out and had a wee check of the level in expansion bottle, it is a wee bit on the high side but will see what like when I get back in from work tomorrow

and that is it for today at least....I will see what like it is when I get in and take it for a drive

Once again thank you
fraz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 22:09   #32
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Note that hot flow to the radiator top is only possible when the PRT opens and unlocks the circuit.
Maybe I've mis-interpreted this sentance, but surely the "hot flow to the radiator top" is direct and continuous. It is the cooled flow from the radiator bottom which is "only possible when the PRT opens". This is what your last diagram shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz59 View Post
I then removed the PRT. Now that is fitted with the single inlet pipe pointing towards the drivers side, the other directly opposite is going to the bottom radiator hose, the one of the Y is going up towards the Turbo (not directly to turbo but in that direction)
Is your PRT connected the wrong way around? Look at T-Cut's last photograph showing all the connections. The end of the PRT with the single connection should be connected to the bottom of the radiator. Please check carefully.
Quote:
I did check the bottom hoses right after the fan had stopped, and to me they are all at the same temp, quite hot none really cooler that the rest.
That's how it should be.

Simon
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:22   #33
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Maybe I've mis-interpreted this sentance, but surely the "hot flow to the radiator top" is direct and continuous. It is the cooled flow from the radiator bottom which is "only possible when the PRT opens". This is what your last diagram shows.
Yes, the top inlet is open to the flow, but coolant won't actually go that way until the loop (the radiator) is opened by the PRT in the bottom outlet. Before the stat opens, the upper hose from the T-piece to the rad inlet will obviously get warm by conduction/convection from hot flow going into the T-piece from the head and downwards to the PRT. Until the stat opens, there is no radiator flow.

When the stat opens, the T-piece flow is switched, so coolant passes straight across the T-piece and into the rad. Flow in the down pipe is throttled back by the relief valve, which moves with the main valve as shown in the drawings. The pressure relief valve is opened according to its spring rate and pump pressure differential. In effect, the pressure differential is reduced (hence 'relief'). At least that's what several references say. I'm not sure that's what it means. The Wiki Seloc article says this increases coolant flow through the head, but I don't understand how. The flow is obviously tempered by mixing rad outflow with head outflow. MGR and other references say this reduces 'thermal shock' at high engine revs.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 22nd September 2014 at 10:30..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:42   #34
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Until the stat opens, there is no radiator flow.
Yes, I think that's a better way of putting it.

Incidentally, in your photograph aren't the flow directions the wrong way around to and from the turbo?

Simon
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:17   #35
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Quote:

Is your PRT connected the wrong way around? Look at T-Cut's last photograph showing all the connections. The end of the PRT with the single connection should be connected to the bottom of the radiator. Please check carefully.

That's how it should be.

Simon
Mmmm maybe I am getting myself confused now ..and trust me it is not that hard LOL

went out and took a picture, the single entry pipe is to a hose as I said going over towards driver side

so looking at the picture I would say someone prior to me has managed to get it round the wrong way

will be out later to swap it around, I presume they have got the hoses twisted round, I know the owner before me did change the turbo, so no doubt managed to get them going the wrong way ...will report back later

Old 22nd September 2014, 20:31   #36
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Well I am pleased to say it would appear that the problem is now fixed. was the PRT put in the wrong way round

have just taken it a drive up the motorway and the coolest it got was 78 ...highest was 82 ...and more importantly (according to the wife) the heater is now blowing nice hot air

Car now seems to behave better and I know its was only a quick 20 mile blast but prior to fixing the PRT the mpg showed about 22mpg and tonight it was up at 34... I know its not a true reading, but same road same speeds and a better reading lol

I guess when the former owner changed the Turbo, he some how got the hose up there round the wrong way, thus the PRT could only really go the wrong way round

all now bled and OAT antifreeze added

So thank you again everyone ...one for the books this one lol

on to the next issue lol ( and that is the steering inner track rod)
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:09   #37
SD1too

Quote:
... could it be fitted incorrectly ??
Well Fraser, you didn't know it at the time, but you hit on it a few days ago. But it was comparing your description of the hose routing with T-Cut's photo of the layout which .... well, led to the answer it seems.

Well done for sticking with it.

Simon
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:20   #38
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Quote:
Well Fraser, you didn't know it at the time, but you hit on it a few days ago. But it was comparing your description of the hose routing with T-Cut's photo of the layout which .... well, led to the answer it seems.

Well done for sticking with it.

Simon
Yes Simon it is usually something simple ...just harder sometime to spot the simple things

Frazer
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:29   #39
SD1too

Quote:
.. it is usually something simple ...just harder sometime to spot the simple things
Now that would be a good signature for your posts.

Simon
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:28   #40
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It's not the first time we've read about a reversed PRT. The hoses have enough latitude to allow it to happen.
And just to finish off.

Quote:
Incidentally, in your photograph aren't the flow directions the wrong way around to and from the turbo?
Coolant flows from higher pressure zones to lower pressure zones. So, look at where all the hoses go and you'll see it's correct. Your intuition is getting the better of you. You expect the flow from the turbo to go up to the T-piece, but all the flow is downwards towards the low pressure (pump inlet) zone. The turbo runs at much higher temperatures than the engine so doesn't need the radiator in its circuit.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 23rd September 2014 at 21:31..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote