Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2007, 17:57   #1
Guapito
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi 135 +

Default Mayo in the oil filler cap

Just spotted some of the dreaded mayo-like substance in the oil cap of my ZT 160. I usually associate this with poss head gasket problems but the car has 85k and is running fine. Could there be another reason why this gunk is in my oil cap or I'm I looking at a near future head-gasket failure/replacemnt?

Guapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 18:16   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Head Gasket is normal for that sympton or water getting in there and mixing with the Oil.
Being more on Diesels myself someone with more knowledge on these things will be along to help shortly.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 18:20   #3
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapito View Post
Just spotted some of the dreaded mayo-like substance in the oil cap of my ZT 160. I usually associate this with poss head gasket problems but the car has 85k and is running fine. Could there be another reason why this gunk is in my oil cap or I'm I looking at a near future head-gasket failure/replacemnt?

It could be just condensation that builds up with doing a lot of short runs ? giving it a good run out can sort it ( and an oil change ) are you loosing coolant ?
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 20:07   #4
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:

Check the vacuum hoses under the engine cover, use a 8mm socket and lift the cover off then you will see a network off small vacuum pipes, what normally happens is were they all meet at the junction in the middle it just simply breaks up then it sucks in moisture from the air and converts into mayo, its quite harmless but never the less it will need sorting, short term you can blow them though then you can tape them all back up and put them back until you get the parts, mine have been tapped since December but they will be replaced when I go for my MOT on 8th May, while the engine cover is off get a good torch and shine it into the V area of the engine and check the thermostat and temp switch is not leaking as this things are known on the KV6 which if left could cause HGF, are you losing any water?

hth

Jason

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 13:36   #5
Guapito
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi 135 +

No, no loss of water. I've cleaned the stuff out of the cap and will leave it for a little while and chck it again. Like someone has mentioned, it could be a small build up of condensation. But I will do the checks you've advised.
Thanks
Old 27th April 2007, 17:01   #6
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
No, no loss of water. I've cleaned the stuff out of the cap and will leave it for a little while and chck it again. Like someone has mentioned, it could be a small build up of condensation. But I will do the checks you've advised.
Thanks
If there is no loss of water then I'd put my money on the breather pipes as described in my previous post.

Keep us informed.

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 16:27   #7
Guapito
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi 135 +

Default Mayo

You were right. I took the cover off and found that the joint, where the 3 vacuum pipes join, had rotted away. I've just ordered a new set from SMC in Slough for £16.
Thanx
Old 17th November 2007, 14:59   #8
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Lightbulb

Interesting as I have a 2.5l also. Noticed a slight amount of what you could call dark mayo on the underside of the Oil Filler Cap and following the comments above just nipped out and removed the engine cover to view the junction of the 3 vacuum pipes.

One of the pipes came away from the 3 way join very easily and like to underside of the oil filler cap there was evidence of the same kind dark coloured Mayo. The car has been on relatively short journeys over the last couple of weeks in this colder weather.

So I think I'll tap the vacuum pipes together tomorrow and observe is the moisture being pulled in from the air is the cause of this mayo.

Members views and comments welcome as usual.
MikeHurley is offline   Reply With Quote