Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2019, 10:45   #1
Skinjam
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club SE 2001

Exclamation Replace Alternator Regulator or Alternator?

Hi all,

Sadly, my Rover 75 started displaying the red battery warning light, first flickering on at idle and disappearing when revving to now staying on full time.

I have checked the voltage and with the car off the battery is displaying 12.5v and with it on, 12.1v so the battery is not being charged. I've been reading on the forums that it is possible to just replace the regulator and that should resolve the issue but will that always be the case?

Is there a way to tell if the entire alternator needs replacing or just the regulator? As purchasing the regulator and then for the problem to still be afoot seems like it would cost more time and money than just replacing the alternator, but of course I would definitely prefer it to just be the regulator!

This is the replacement that I was looking at though oddly my car is a 2001, but seems to have a 2-pin connector (unless I'm blind), is this normal or am I looking at the wrong plug?

Also, if I do need to change the entire alternator, does anyone have a recommendation on where I can purchase one? I have looked on Eurocarparts but they're asking £185.99 + my broken alternator, this seems quite expensive for one.

Edit: Would this alternator fit?

My Rover:
Early 2001, Saloon, 2 litre diesel and 155k miles.
I do not know if the alternator has ever been replaced.

Last edited by Skinjam; 29th September 2019 at 11:17..
Skinjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 14:50   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

From the description of the fault, all you need is something along these lines.......LINK

In all likelihood if you are capable of removing and replacing the regulator, then you will be more than able to replace the brushes on their own.

One brush wears faster than the other, and provided the rotor sliprings are in decent order, then the brushes are all that will need replacing normally.

The other problems to be found with the diesel alternator are oil being spilled into the stator windings, which can damage the shellac coating on the windings, this is normally the only fault necessitating alternator replacement

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 15:48   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Brush replacement it the best and cheapest option IF--------------------you don't run the car too long with the red light on.

At this point the brushes will be arcing against the slip rings inside the alternator and BURNING them away.--

If this happens you will need a complete new unit.

Sometimes getting one from a breakers and refurbishing it before re-fitting might be a lot cheaper than a whole new unit.---

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 18:08   #4
Skinjam
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club SE 2001

Thanks for the responses, I decided to spend more time looking at my alternator and noticed that it was covered in oil, the engine oil level was fine so I checked the power steering fluid and it was almost empty!

So I believe the issue is that power steering fluid has leaked into the alternator, stopping it from working.

As I'm very reliant on my car to get to work I haven't got much time to spend on this issue, so I'm going to contact my garage tomorrow and tell them what I've learnt and hope they can fix the issue fast but I don't suspect it'll be cheap
Skinjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 18:11   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjam View Post
Thanks for the responses, I decided to spend more time looking at my alternator and noticed that it was covered in oil, the engine oil level was fine so I checked the power steering fluid and it was almost empty!

So I believe the issue is that power steering fluid has leaked into the alternator, stopping it from working.

As I'm very reliant on my car to get to work I haven't got much time to spend on this issue, so I'm going to contact my garage tomorrow and tell them what I've learnt and hope they can fix the issue fast but I don't suspect it'll be cheap
Four hours labour, plus the cost of the alternator

Allow them to source the alternator too, you want both parts and labour warranty on a job like this if you are not doing it yourself

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 19:48   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

There is a How-To on here that explains how to do the job from above though they will have to work through the wheel arch to release the belt tensioner. ( Needs a vey slim spanner )( Print the How-To )

Mike Noc can probably give you some info also as he did his that way.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2019, 11:00   #7
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

given that you say the alternator has got a lot of power steering fluid in it, before pulling it out, id try a can of spray degreaser, spray down into the alternator, wash it out with water, leave it dry of air hose it dry and see if it cleans the brushes and starts working again.
Worth a try.
If not do the replacement.
Ive re brushed a couple and replaced the slip rings on a couple.
Out of the four units, two had ok slip rings, the other two the brushes had cut to deep so needed slip ring, regulator and brushes.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote