Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2007, 18:30   #1
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Speeding...again

Two traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 18:35   #2
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 18:41   #3
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Thanks Paul, needed a good laugh just now.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 18:42   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I think we need more RAF planes in the Sky and to launch from now on.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 18:42   #5
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Spoilsport
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 18:45   #6
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Spoilsport
Sowwy!

Be good if it was true!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 19:29   #7
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

on the subject of planes, was walking the dog tonight about 6PM.

a Typhoon coasted overhead, went past, then turned round and coasted over again, giving it a bit of welly back to warton, with the clouds lighting up with the afterburners, as he got over the Irish Sea, he ascended vertically on full afterburner, it looked like the shuttle ascending. depite working around planes all day, and taking them for granted, it was a beautiful sight, and I feel proud to be a part of it.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:07   #8
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by black olive View Post
on the subject of planes, was walking the dog tonight about 6PM.

a Typhoon coasted overhead, went past, then turned round and coasted over again, giving it a bit of welly back to warton, with the clouds lighting up with the afterburners, as he got over the Irish Sea, he ascended vertically on full afterburner, it looked like the shuttle ascending. depite working around planes all day, and taking them for granted, it was a beautiful sight, and I feel proud to be a part of it.

Where abouts do you live Black Olive?
Old 13th November 2007, 21:25   #9
Gryphon
Passed Away

75 CDT Connoisseur + VW Trike + Kawasaki 1000LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Two traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."

Brilliant
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 22:33   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Unfortunately Paul that is not a true story.

The systems in the Tornado are not able to behave like that
With 256K of Ram for the WPU to run on and most of that relates to the wings stores configuration they aren't that bright!

Even chaf is normally a manual release except in combat situations and even then they don't carry enough to waste.

Tales like that have been doing the rounds for years
I have personally had my hand on just about every single WPU (Weapons Programming Unit) in every flying Tornado out there, never did I ever find one that had become self aware

I also tested or fault found most of the CSAS (Command Stabilty and Augmentation System) and the all important terrain following AFDS (Automatic Flight Director System) Computers

Although I would imagine by now most of what I worked on may have been retrofitted with more modern kit the service life of such system are often considerably longer than electronics in the domestic market so may well still be in use
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote