Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th June 2021, 22:54   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default A question of parts..

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say before I go any further, this thread isn't meant to cause any ill feeling of any kind towards anyone as mainly based on my findings and feelings.

I've had my 75 now since October a 2.0 V6 Connie se auto. A great car that needed a few things correcting namely a few years of low mileage and some maintainence being overlooked I suppose.

The issues Ive found while correcting some of the issues is the parts.

I won't name names as I don't think that is fair or even helpful and due to not being a mechanic although capable of most things, some issues could be down to my fitting (not had much of an issue with any other car I've owned or repaired however..).

I've so far had issues with a thermostat opening too early (still is) but thankfully no leaks
Expansion caps, the first new cap ordered after fitting the thermostat kit and while bleeding the system, noticed after allowing the engine to cool that the top hose was collapsing (vacuum effect). When removing the cap, the centre section that screws into the expansion bottle remained screwed inside the expansion bottle. (Appeared the little black locating lugs on the under side of the cap weren't big enough to help retain the centre section of the cap that goes inside the expansion tank).

Ordered another from another supplier and... It leaked from the get go.

I've recently ordered a supposedly "genuine mg Rover" item from another supplier and just from looking at it, I don't believe it is.. the centre yellow section that usually has 140 stated, is blank. The centre section to cap appears a looser fitment than the current one fitted to the car (the current one on the car is the one the car came with when I bought the car).

I've ordered seals for the fuel feed pipe to rail in the past from one of the previous suppliers, only to find once on the pipe, the pipe can't be inserted into the fuel rail.

There's been similar issues with other parts ordered but I'm sure you get the idea.

My main issue is, I went from supplier number 1 after becoming a little concerned about the quality to supplier number two, only to become concerned about the quality of the parts that were advertised as genuine items.

Now don't get me wrong.. mg rover went out of business quite some time ago, regardless my thoughts of genuine are " made by the original supplier to mg rover or at the very least, made to the same specification, material and quality standards". Am I wrong to think this is what the word "genuine" implies?

As it stands, I'm now a little unsure as to what to do for future items that I may need, who do I turn to? Do I continue to use one of the " better value" suppliers I have previously used as paying a little more doesn't mean it's any better from what im finding, and just hope I'm lucky?

As instated earlier, I don't intend for this thread to cause any Ill feeling towards anyone or cause any issues, mainly looking for a solution to what feels like standing between a rock and hard place in terms of where to buy parts.

Thanks
Rob
Old 16th June 2021, 05:34   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Hi all,

I've so far had issues with a thermostat opening too early (still is) but thankfully no leaks
Expansion caps, the first new cap ordered after fitting the thermostat kit and while bleeding the system, noticed after allowing the engine to cool that the top hose was collapsing (vacuum effect). When removing the cap, the centre section that screws into the expansion bottle remained screwed inside the expansion bottle. (Appeared the little black locating lugs on the under side of the cap weren't big enough to help retain the centre section of the cap that goes inside the expansion tank).

Ordered another from another supplier and... It leaked from the get go.

I've recently ordered a supposedly "genuine mg Rover" item from another supplier and just from looking at it, I don't believe it is.. the centre yellow section that usually has 140 stated, is blank. The centre section to cap appears a looser fitment than the current one fitted to the car (the current one on the car is the one the car came with when I bought the car).

Rob
That is an issue that applies to many marques that are no longer made and the oem no longer in business (Lucas as an example). One has to hope that suppliers (such as x-part) source items which are as good or even better. That is hope. Reality will be that some third tier manufacturer in China or India will supply a pattern of the part and it will be marketed/accepted due to the low price!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 06:36   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

There is a dealer that in my opinion sells parts as genuine but are in fact pattern or at best OEM. The price for genuine is of course higher them "OEM" or "PATTERN"
My opinion is based on a phone conversation with them and their description of genuine, they say is their parts come from X-part then they call them genuine.

To me, genuine comes from Rover, OEM comes from the company that supplied Rover, Pattern, comes from a company that never supplied Rover.
Rover went out of business some years ago and some genuine parts will by now have all have been used, that leaves us OEM and pattern.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 07:11   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
I'm now a little unsure as to what to do for future items that I may need, who do I turn to?
Hello Rob,

Buy from an accredited X-Part agent. This includes ex-MGR main dealer parts departments. I bought my springs and lower arm suspension bushes direct from X-Part. This will involve more time and effort than just ordering on-line from one of the companies you have used, unsuccessfully, before.

Genuine parts will be packed with an MG Rover label.

Simon
Old 16th June 2021, 07:41   #5
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I still prefer checking goods physically, whether it be clothing or other goods. Not always possible nowadays I grant you!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 08:01   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Rob,

Buy from an accredited X-Part agent. This includes ex-MGR main dealer parts departments. I bought my springs and lower arm suspension bushes direct from X-Part. This will involve more time and effort than just ordering on-line from one of the companies you have used, unsuccessfully, before.

Simon
Err, sorry, could you explain what genuine is? macafee2 could make a part today, supply to x-part who supply to "a" dealer and guess what..... its sold as genuine. That is my understanding from a phone call with said dealer, that parts from x -part are sold as genuine no matter when and where it was made.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 08:02   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I am afraid that X-Part are just badge engineering as well but at least they are there.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 09:08   #8
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Big name companies don't mean much nowadays as very few of them operate any sort of quailty checking and control on their suppliers.

They just buy in at best price, and flog on or worse rebadge and flog on with over inflated prices..

From the above statement you can probably infer that I personally have had some amazing Crepe!! from some big namers in the past !!

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I am afraid that X-Part are just badge engineering as well but at least they are there.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 09:09   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Err, sorry, could you explain what genuine is?
I have Ian, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I think what's being referred to in this thread is retailers and eBay sellers who state that a part is "genuine" but does not arrive in MG Rover branded packaging. The buyer then feels indignant but what they have bought is more than likely something different.
Quote:
macafee2 could make a part today, supply to x-part who supply to "a" dealer and guess what..... its sold as genuine.
Yes, you're correct Ian. That's the definition of "genuine". It's the vehicle manufacturer or its parts agent endorsing the part as meeting the standards set by them.
Quote:
That is my understanding from a phone call with said dealer, that parts from x -part are sold as genuine no matter when and where it was made.
Agreed. I bought two suspension bushes from X-Part. One was made in China and the other in the UK. They looked identical and they arrived in sealed bags with an MG Rover label.

Simon
Old 16th June 2021, 11:55   #10
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Doesn't really matter if it is bagged or not , nor does the holographic sticker mean anything, remember the Indian arms.
Both labelled mg rover and both had stickers but totally different in terms of quality.
More of a lucky dip at the moment.

Stan