Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th August 2014, 21:20   #11
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

This one is from Hong Kong. I bought two identical ones.

Old 26th August 2014, 21:21   #12
Phil
This is my second home

This has a blue glass and a red glass and they spin into position. I think it may be an American railroad lantern. It is marked with Wakefields 1945 Birmingham
Old 26th August 2014, 21:23   #13
Phil
This is my second home

I'm also quite interested in the base of the hinks lamp. It I heavy, but sounds hollow when you tap it, if that makes sense.. Just wondered if it was original.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:50   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
This has a blue glass and a red glass and they spin into position. I think it may be an American railroad lantern. It is marked with Wakefields 1945 Birmingham
My father had one just like that, when he was on the railway- except his was all black and showed red or green.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 21:54   #15
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I think this one may be late 1800s...

A nice lamp Phil.
Hinks was a quality manufacturer.
The "safety" lamps had a weight, as you can see in the picture, that would shut it down if the lamp toppled over. Quite a desirable feature.

It has the wrong chimney fitted, for a duplex, twin wick burner. It should look like this shape:

They are quite easy to get hold of, unless you want one embossed with "Hinks". They are very rare, I managed to get one from Tasmania on eBay.

Does it have a key to raise the gallery? I think it should have and enables the wicks to be lit without removing the shade or chimney.
[EDIT] I can see the key quite clearly in the picture.

On the burner, in between the two wicks there should be a Rd No. this will enable you to date the registration.
The earlier coaxial wick winders were ceramic, so I think this might be a bit later, maybe Edwardian.

Regarding the base, they often had cast iron slugs in the base to improve stability. Usually stamped "Hinks" with the model no.
The bayonet collar on top of the font that locates the burner were also stamped "Hinks Patent" on the Victorian examples.

Either way Hinks & Son ceased trading shortly after the First World War, so you have an original early lamp IMHO.

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 26th August 2014 at 21:57.. Reason: Need to look at pictures properly!
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 21:54   #16
Phil
This is my second home

That's interesting. Maybe this is faded green? I don't suppose you have any photographs?
Old 26th August 2014, 22:02   #17
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
A nice lamp Phil.
Hinks was a quality manufacturer.
The "safety" lamps had a weight, as you can see in the picture, that would shut it down if the lamp toppled over. Quite a desirable feature.

It has the wrong chimney fitted, for a duplex, twin wick burner. It should look like this shape:

They are quite easy to get hold of, unless you want one embossed with "Hinks". They are very rare, I managed to get one from Tasmania on eBay.

Does it have a key to raise the gallery? I think it should have and enables the wicks to be lit without removing the shade or chimney.
[EDIT] I can see the key quite clearly in the picture.

On the burner, in between the two wicks there should be a Rd No. this will enable you to date the registration.
The earlier coaxial wick winders were ceramic, so I think this might be a bit later, maybe Edwardian.

Regarding the base, they often had cast iron slugs in the base to improve stability. Usually stamped "Hinks" with the model no.
The bayonet collar on top of the font that locates the burner were also stamped "Hinks Patent" on the Victorian examples.

Either way Hinks & Son ceased trading shortly after the First World War, so you have an original early lamp IMHO.
Thanks for the information. I haven't noticed a weight. Do you mean the dangling bit? I thought that was just the bit you pull on to turn it off.
Yes, it does have a key. And it is super easy to light and extinguish compared to my other lamp.
Ita a shame about the funnel. I will have to keep an eye out.
We have been looking for a shade. It is hard to know what is original and what is reproduction!
As for the base, there are no markings on it at all. The brass feels thin and there are some very small dents in it. Could a base fitting that description be the original? It has a green felt bottom to it.
I will look for the reg number!
Old 26th August 2014, 22:34   #18
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Yes, you have a snuffer weight, it is the dangling bit.

The original shades are harder to get hold of, as I suppose they get broken over the years.
In their time, they would often have been used without shades as the greatly inhibited the light output. They just put them on in good light conditions, as they looked good.

I have a Youngs lamp with a Nailsea blue shade, that kills the light, but looks good on display.

Sorry, I gave you some duff information on the location of the reg no.
I have just checked one of my Hinks No.2 burners, like yours, and you should find it on the gallery, here:

If you can find it, I can date the registration for you.

Old 26th August 2014, 22:53   #19
Phil
This is my second home

Thanks again. That looks lovely with the blue shade. Just checked. Do you mean the area where the shade would sit? Mine has no numbers.
Old 26th August 2014, 23:35   #20
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Yes it would be located where the shade sits.
I'm afraid that the lamp is almost certainly later than you thought.

I suspect it was manufactured by Falk Stadelman & Co. who continued to use the Hinks brand name after the demise of that company in the 1920s.
They marketed themselves under the "Veritas" lamps brand name. I have a catalogue of theirs, from the 1930s, where they list "Hinks" burners.

It is difficult to accurately date your lamp, but, I think it would be pre-war, 20th Century.

Sorry Phil, but it is still an old oil lamp, albiet not Victorian, that you can enjoy.