Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2009, 19:33   #1
geoff11
Loves to post

ZT 260

Default Possible major electrical problem

Strange one this, this morning I replaced my passenger mirror with the bullet type and all was well had the ignition on and off a few times switched everything off and had lunch. this afternoon I tried to start car turned on ignition and it turned a fraction not enough to start car then everything was dead not even a light showing, so I thought flat battery, I then connected charger to terminals under bonnet as I had done before, the charger sparked rather a lot, I left it connected for a few seconds but it started to smoke I then
opened boot via internal pull cord, the voltage across the battery was 0.71 volts , this was only after say 3 minunites that it started to turn over ??
I left it until now as we had to go out in the van, anyway, I have just removed battery and across the battery cables with it removed the resistance measures 0.7 ohms with the meter set on the 200 ohm scale.
the battery measures 3v, I am now leaving it on charge ( had to buy a new charger as the old one only now measures 5.6 volts) I even removed satnav
and the resistance is still 0.7 ohms, the car has been inside the garage for a while and has not seen water for quite a while, maybe I have a major short ?
I am in the AA but not home start, I asked an AA man in halfords if You can pay the extra instantly for them to come out if you have a problem he says yes, so what next, ? Do I connect the charged up battery and see what happens ( thats if its still ok, the black light was showing as it always does ) I May disconnect sat nav when I reconnect ) One thought, as it went whilst starting car could it be the starter solonoid shorting ????
geoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 20:18   #2
hans.schaaper
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 V6 auto

If you measure 0.7 ohms that means a dead short somewhere.
I would certainly NOT reconnect the battery.
You could pull fuses and measure again.
Don't know how hard it is to disconnect the starter and alternator.

Hans
hans.schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 20:56   #3
geoff11
Loves to post

ZT 260

What I can do tomorrow is get someone to keep there eye on the meter set to ohms and start pulling fuses and relays, there is no sign of a fuse on the starter circuit only a 50 A link that goes to the ignition switch ?
Old 1st March 2009, 21:38   #4
hans.schaaper
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 V6 auto

It must be a short of some kind.
A power consumer behind a fuse would not drain your battery in that short a period of time, that is without blowing the fuse.
Do NOT reconnect your battery it could cause a fire or your battery to explode.
Disconnecting the alternator should be easy.

Hans
hans.schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:58   #5
Departed
Retired

--

You can't rely on a multimeter to measure the resistance of the car. There are lots of systems with capacitors, for example, that will try to charge up from the power your meter supplies.

This doesn't mean there isn't a problem, just that a meter isn't the way to check it.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:46   #6
geoff11
Loves to post

ZT 260

Well its fixedI called the AA out this morning, it was the first 260 he had seen, I dont think he knew they even existed, firstly I removed the sat nav so as not to ruin it, and also removed ignition key, when he connected a good battery there was a big spark and the engine started to turn ??
He thinks it could have been a faulty relay on the push button engine start Kit ,so that was disconnected and everything was fine, we then refitted my original battery that I had charged overnight, it worked fine, then he tested it by removing the fuel pump fuse and letting me turn engine over for 15 seconds, all was fine battery good , then the alternator was tested all ok, and then we fitted sat nav all fine, finally after the sat nav had switched off he used a special clamp meter to test for leak down and every thing was good so I think the battery was quite flat when i tried to start it in the afternoon plus the relay could be dickey, I will replace with a new one.
Thumbs up for the AA though very professional approach, he was taken aback with the print outs I did of the fuse positions and locations, He said some blokes know nothing about the car they drive.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:07   #7
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Glad to hear things are back to normal
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote