Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2018, 16:41   #11
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Good evening,

another vote of confidence to the 3M kit. I done mine a couple of years ago & they are still looking good. I would recommend using a UV protectant to help keep the lenses clear. I Tcut them first to remove any decolourisation before applying the UV protectant.

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 06:18   #12
75Connie
Gets stuck in

R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Saloon Auto; R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Tourer Manual

+1 for using a spray-on headlamp UV sealant. Its an absolute must IMHO, and while any good cutting/polishing repair before sealing the lights will work well, its the sealing that ensures that the lights won't become cloudy in a few months.
75Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 12:11   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

What's the preferred spray-on UV protector gents?

There's a video of a mechanic on ebay using this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rust-Oleu...-/170830231158

I was tempted to try it on some old headlights.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 21:23   #14
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Yes, another vote for the 3M kit.
Did mine three years ago and they are still like new. Give them a dose of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-...-/141973833940 every time I wash the car

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 15:50   #15
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Hi the Lotus boys put me in the know about a TCut headlamp restorer the first treatment can be applied by hand or machine and restores the plastic lens material. Whilst the second part of the treatment redcoats the plastic with a UV protection which keeps them from going cloudy again for quite a few years.
I have used on my wife’s and on my own about 4 years ago and they still look brand new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 for the T-Cut headlamp polish kit from eBay for ~ £7.

Used on projector headlamps today, that had previously been polished (but not treated) a year ago.

Results were not brilliant, but definitely good enough after ~30 minutes. Rain stopped play. I will try again another day, and apply the sealant then.

FYI In the centre of the dipped lenses is a small circle, which indicates the centre of the beam. My efforts were concentrated around there.

PS I took the opportunity to change both dipped headlamp bulbs, ready for the winter

Last edited by MarkS; 23rd September 2018 at 17:13.. Reason: Headlamp bulbs changed
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 16:28   #16
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Just used this ebay kit with good results

[IMG]lights by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr[/IMG]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-He...72.m2749.l2649
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:30   #17
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
+1 for the T-Cut headlamp polish kit from eBay for ~ £7.

Used on projector headlamps today, that had previously been polished (but not treated) a year ago.

Results were not brilliant, but definitely good enough after ~30 minutes. Rain stopped play. I will try again another day, and apply the sealant then.

FYI In the centre of the dipped lenses is a small circle, which indicates the centre of the beam. My efforts were concentrated around there.

PS I took the opportunity to change both dipped headlamp bulbs, ready for the winter

I have to confess my car has reflector lamps with LED bulbs burning at 5 thousand Kelvin slightly whiter than Daylight which is 4,200 Kelvin. It took me over two years to find the bulbs I wanted with the correct colour temperature and the correct Lux with the same focal length as the original.
I now have to apologise to everyone I can’t find the boxes they came in and the net book that lived in the garage at the time where I had made a note of it died in style just over a year ago. I am now using a IBM in the garage ( it’s better manually, notebook and pencil ) and backing that up on the office PC.
When she makes me down size which I see coming In the next couple of years. I don’t know what I will do as workshop, Garage, office, and shed probably have a combined floor space of 500ft2 average ceiling height about 9 foot with a total shelving space close to 800ft2. And that is not counting the 1500ft2 in the attic.
65 years of tools Man & boy. Though I have to confess to having sold the lathe and milling machines along with the panel rollers & Guillotine, as my arthritis is so bad now coupled with retiring back in 2010, rolling the odd wing for someone or turning out axels for the local Miniature Railway Club, also rolling out the panels for miniature steam trains body work. Can’t justify me keeping that kit and I have donated it to them to have in their club house. I have even shown a couple of lads it their forties how to use the equipment and one very keen lad in his twenties. As when us oldies die all our skills and knowledge go with us unless we pass it on.
Best of luck with headlamps the second part of the treatment makes quite a difference. You can use a machine on low speed with a soft buff with the part 1 compound.
Best of luck and hope you will be able to see at night again
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 06:43   #18
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Arm & Hammer toothpaste
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 18:34   #19
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

I used AutoSol, which is reslly a chrome/metal polish but does the clean-up job as well as any of the expensive kits and only costs about £6 from any local car accessories shop.
But as said above they need a coat of something else to stop the UV fading them off again - although mine are still fine 6 months on.

Last edited by Ken Lion; 29th September 2018 at 18:37..
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote