Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2018, 19:04   #11
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
I think you are wrong Harry. Probably depends on if you have the timer and remote switch on fitted as well?

My car (with factory FBH and timer) starts the blower with the FBH with no intervention from me. I just switch it on with the remote.

I think you may have to have left the climate on auto (before switching off engine) for it do this, IIRC ...
Yeah mine does that to I think you have to leave the temp set at something like 26°
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 22:46   #12
Pete_901
Regular poster

Mg Zt Dark Fantasy 6/7

Yeah well I’ve just had a little look at my fbh. If I leave the blowers on then turn the ignition off and turn the webasto on then the blowers come on when the webasto is turned on. But if I leave my blowers off then turn the webasto on it doesn’t come on.

I do need to order a GSM unit! How easy are they to wire up?
Pete_901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 23:41   #13
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

The FBH will not switch the ATC on if you leave it switched off when you leave the car it just activates it to the setting you left it on when you last exited the car

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 07:22   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
I think you are wrong Harry. Probably depends on if you have the timer and remote switch on fitted as well?

My car (with factory FBH and timer) starts the blower with the FBH with no intervention from me. I just switch it on with the remote.

I think you may have to have left the climate on auto (before switching off engine) for it do this, IIRC ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Yeah mine does that to I think you have to leave the temp set at something like 26°
Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_901 View Post
Yeah well I’ve just had a little look at my fbh. If I leave the blowers on then turn the ignition off and turn the webasto on then the blowers come on when the webasto is turned on. But if I leave my blowers off then turn the webasto on it doesn’t come on.

Sorry, but I still cannot see how that can possibly happen, there is no means for the ATC to get a 12v supply for it to do that.

Why would anyone go to all the trouble and lengthy discussion of a mod to allow it to operate with the ignition off, if it could already power itself up? There was even a lengthy discussion about how to delay the ATC operation, until the FBH had warmed the coolant enough to impart some heat into the cabin. There was even a short discussion about adding a secondary battery, so that using the FBH plus blower, didn't flatten your main battery.

I have had an FBH fitted for 7 years, modified for manual running to pre-heat and not once has the blower ever powered up until the ignition was turned on.

All I can suggest is that those suggesting their blowers start, have had the modification done behind the ATC panel.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 13:16   #15
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I've never seen any extra "mod" wiring in my car, although it may be hidden behind the ATC.

From my user manual (facelift) :

Quote:
Some diesel engines are equipped with a programmable automatic heating facility, which enables the owner to pre-heat the interior of the car (and warm up the engine) prior to use.
Quote:
The parking heater will then operate until the preset running time has elapsed, heating and maintaining the car's interior at the desired temperature.
Quote:
The parking heater utilises the car's interior heating and ventilation system settings ...
This specifically mentions not having to have the key in the ignition.

Therefore, the difference must be the options fitted to the factory car - early cars all have a FBH fitted to aid in warming the engine.

The cost option was to have the parking heater which gives the extra timer, remote control and interior warming facilities over a standard FBH only arrangement.

Last edited by first-things-first; 19th September 2018 at 17:00..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 14:07   #16
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Wiring diagram attached for the original factory install parking heater which runs with the engine off and will pre-heat the cabin for you and defrost the windscreen for up to 30 mins either by remote function or via the timer programmer in the armrest.

I have converted three vehicles in the past to parking heater following the manufacturers wiring and using the official components on each install, 1x75 and 2xFreelanders.

No matter how many times I have studied the official wiring diagram it does not make sense to me if you follow the relays. So I would treat the relay wiring with some suspicion, all I can say is that 99% of the diagrams are correct, but little errors occurs now and again, but on the whole they are excellent.

I would check fuse 37 (passenger compartment) first.

Then with the FBH running and up to temperature you should eventually get a 12v reading from the black/yellow wire at the FBH connector CO925-4. Or follow the black/yellow wire into the passenger Cmpt relays for the parking heater and check for 12v present there. If you have 12v then you will need to check both relays function which are located in the passenger footwell.

If the blower does not switch on the FBH will start shutting down as the heat is not being dispersed from the coolant system. This will also occur if the water pump on the side of the FBH is not functioning as ther is literally no heat soak occurring.

Another area to check depending upon if this was an original factory install or retrofit from Webasto or the owner then there maybe a number of diodes (can’t recall how many, perhaps 4?) run behind the heater ECU panel that may have failed and not allowing the heater panel to power up.

Last edited by Lovel; 19th September 2018 at 14:26..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 18:58   #17
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

A simpler wiring diagram for bringing the ATC on after 5 minutes is below in the GSM "how to" , with the second relay of the GSM programmed to switch on 5 minutes after relay 1, so relay 1 starts the FBH in parking heater mode and relay 2 delays for 5 minutes before switching on the ATC

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=231637

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 19:24   #18
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
All I can suggest is that those suggesting their blowers start, have had the modification done behind the ATC panel.

CORRECT
Aftermarket controlling.
The wires from the ATC are severed, then a DPDT relay is connected to act as a relay, timer and a diode, so when 12v is sent to the blower motor from the FBH via the DPDT, 12v does not feed back to the IGN.

A timer relay is also installed for user to select ATC on/off times.

GSM modules and relays have developed and improved significantly, and about perfected since this thread was posted.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=231637

Last edited by Devilish; 19th September 2018 at 20:20..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 19:50   #19
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
I have converted three vehicles in the past to parking heater following the manufacturers wiring and using the official components on each install, 1x75 and 2xFreelanders.
This is fine using original equipment, that is need for timed ATC function, because the Webasto sends 12v from pin 4 as soon as the FBH fires up, then the Webasto controller performs the ATC timer function.

Webasto controller equipment costing more than a 75 or Freelander is worth/cost puts people off (me anyways). Aftermarket controlling does the same job, but the fobs cost £5.

I have seen several with Webasto controlled FBH, all down to what the user wants to pay for. When I did SWMBO's Freeelander I thought of Webasto controller, until I saw the price. Yeh right.

Last edited by Devilish; 19th September 2018 at 20:17..
Old 19th September 2018, 20:00   #20
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_901 View Post

GSM units are relatively east to install. I ave worked with the manufacturer for a long time improving the eeprom programming ro eliminate all the bugs, and have GSM units with the latest eeprom software.

Depends upon the controller you have and how it is connected. The blowers switching on the same time as the FBH is a waste because it takes at least 5 mins for the FBH to ramp up and run long enough to pass warmer water to the heater matrix. 15 mins after running it should shut down really, or on demand.

This is one way it should be done, if it works the way the use wants job done.

Last edited by Devilish; 19th September 2018 at 20:19..