Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2018, 07:38   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac61 View Post
Nearside Side repeater slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Nearside Rear Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a)
fuel tank straps rusty
Hi Michael,

I think that these three comments in particular suggest that this tester is being somewhat pedantic. He might have been hoping to obtain some repairs business from the owner or had a row with his wife that morning or is just keen to convince you how ‘experienced’ he is.

What you should do is organise your own inspection to put these claims to the test whether it be from someone else in the trade, a friend or just do it yourself!

Always remember that this list does not constitute faults which need to be rectified as so many people seem to believe. They are observations which the tester wishes to bring to your attention. They are somewhat subjective. It is extremely likely that if you submitted this car for a test tomorrow at a different establishment, the list of advisories would be much shorter.

Bad news sells newspapers, and it’s easy to make a dramatic case. Keep a cool head is my advice and don’t rely on one tester’s opinion.

Simon
Old 16th September 2018, 07:46   #12
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I guess it didn’t have a undertray or he would have been doing more cya, plus his printer would have run out of ink
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 09:28   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I would support Simon's advice above. All the items listed should be in the stated condition on a 15/16 year old car unless the parts have already been replaced.

The rear suspension arms are the most expensive item on the list. But these are likely to need replacement on most 75's that are 15 years of age sooner or later.

The advisories should be looked at in relation to the overall condition and desirability of the car e.g. the bodywork, interior and how it drives. My approach would be to get a local expert member to assess the car's condition.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 10:49   #14
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Advisories are "magical" . So many times I have had advisories one year which have "disappeared" the next time
But , sometimes they are serious advice
If you are able to make your own judgement , then have a look ; if not then walk away
Old 16th September 2018, 13:29   #15
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Varied opinions on here, but just remember that a tester is now in some ways accountable when things go wrong with a car after it has been tested. This can become quite a nasty business if the tester gets it wrong, or missed. I would suggest that this is considered in everybody's objections to advisories.
Testers can be faced with "Points" awarded against them, just like driving offences.
Testers can be faced with substantial fines (Worst cases)
and finally face imprisonment if found to be simply abusing the system.

My testing works on a firm, but fair basis and due consideration the vehicle age etc, but the rules are the rules, DVSA will not stand for too much manipulation despite how many changes are made to the testing manual since May this year.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 20:20   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Michael,

I think that these three comments in particular suggest that this tester is being somewhat pedantic. He might have been hoping to obtain some repairs business from the owner or had a row with his wife that morning or is just keen to convince you how ‘experienced’ he is.

What you should do is organise your own inspection to put these claims to the test whether it be from someone else in the trade, a friend or just do it yourself!

Always remember that this list does not constitute faults which need to be rectified as so many people seem to believe. They are observations which the tester wishes to bring to your attention. They are somewhat subjective. It is extremely likely that if you submitted this car for a test tomorrow at a different establishment, the list of advisories would be much shorter.

Bad news sells newspapers, and it’s easy to make a dramatic case. Keep a cool head is my advice and don’t rely on one tester’s opinion.

Simon
Simon, earlier in the year when I presented one of the fleet for MOT, I had an advisory for a discoloured side repeater lamp, and it was amazing when I fitted a nice new orange bulb, that it flashed orange once again rather than the pasty off white

Fuel tank straps, well a full tank of diesel including the weight of the tank and fuel pump and associated hardware is just shy of 65 kg, and not taking into account the free surface affect of the fuel moving within the tank as the car is driven..........I recall a post by CLF where Alan had replaced the tank cradle straps on his car, and simply folded up the original such was the extent of the corrosion.

This of course was a car which had been MOT tested within a system where there is absolutely no incentive whatsoever to "create" work for the tester

Distorted wheel rim, I would be quite happy to be notified of such a defect, especially when it is the inner bead of a wheel that has been damaged and looking at the car from the outside all appears to be perfect.

Bad news sells newspapers??? perhaps just for once Simon, you might wish to step back and ask yourself why you are so critical of anyone with any connection to the motor trade?

As far as it appears to any outsider looking in, you are the perfect judge of your car, and no one else could possibly know better than you.

So when I checked out the advisory items issued to my own car last week, I found what the tester to have noted to be quite fair, and not pedantic, but rather sound advice and a valuable second opinion to my own pre MOT checks.

What would you prefer I wonder, an MOT carried out where the tester overlooks obvious defects, or a one where a perfectly valid assessment of a vehicle condition is reported to the owner, who can then make arrangements to repair at their discretion.

In the case of the OP's question, I would not buy the car he is asking about, but that is only my opinion, no more or less.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 21:18   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

MarinaBrian; you are slipping back into your old habits already. I must remind you that there is room on the forum for views other than your own which you have already stated. Repetitious argumentative posts are not welcome.

Anyway, I thought you were going to be so busy with your multi-million pound contract that there would be no time for you to visit the forum.

Simon
Old 16th September 2018, 21:31   #18
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
MarinaBrian; you are slipping back into your old habits already. I must remind you that there is room on the forum for views other than your own which you have already stated. Repetitious argumentative posts are not welcome.

Anyway, I thought you were going to be so busy with your multi-million pound contract that there would be no time for you to visit the forum.

Simon
I do not see anything amiss with Brian's post, only his own experience with one of his own car's at MOT time....
Old 16th September 2018, 21:36   #19
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Many MOT advisories can be taken with a pinch of salt. I’ve had some on my cars which were contradictory to each other.

As for the MOT test in its current form I would scrap it altogether.
By that I mean take it away from garages and place it in an independant location like HGVs are and also the MOT in Northern Ireland.

My V6 received a fail on its first test after I purchased it stating it required new discs. The car had done 36k. I fitted new discs to get the pass then immediately removed them and fitted them to my 75 diesel as it had done at that time around 105k if I recall correctly.
That was about six years ago and only recently did I remove the “failed” discs and fitted new discs to the car as I thought the originals were getting a bit worn.

On my Jaguar XF I received a fail at 43k stating it required new rear upper arms at a cost of £760. I had no option but to give the rogue dealer the go ahead but a few weeks later I re fitted the original parts and got a pass at another test station. The car was due to be tested one year later when it was written off.

So two examples of where the MOT test failed me unneccasarily and I have to say the only two fails I have received since the MOT test began.

As for the OP I would say the tester in question may have been a bit over zealous but I agree most 75’s of this age will be very rusty in the suspension areas.
Of the three I’ve owned I’ve had to completely overhaul the suspension on all three, it’s just what you have to do to keep an otherwise perfectly good car in tip top condition.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 22:04   #20
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Mine failed on inner and outer sill rot. On asking the garage to do it they said take it round to the local welder, it will be cheaper than us, so 2 hours later that job was done. The DANGEROUS FAIL was a cut in a tyre exposing the cords, but of course I drove it home. Also failed on suspension arm outer ball joint, but I had to take it back to the garage for this to be done on the retest as a previous owner had grossly over-tightened the ball joint taper bolt, and also the clamp bolt which was stretched and also sheared on removal!. Took two guys an hour to shift the ball joint from the sub-frame.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote