Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2018, 15:01   #21
ml.williams
Avid contributor

ZT_T 190

There is a lot of rose tinted spectacles happening in here. I know we all love our cars but nearly 20 years of development has a rather large effect.

Skoda’s are great cars, yes a VW but with more kit and less cost. An Octavia VRS estate is an ideal replacement for the ZTT, refinement, equipment and power while being value. More power is easy to get from them with retunes and the only thing missing from the VRS is the lack of the 4WD petrol as that would see of the golf R’s

And our MG are quick but they are beaten by the VRS on all fronts.

MG ZT 191 PS, 245 Nm, 1625 Kg Octavia VRS 245 Ps, 370 Nm, 1467 Kg

Sure the V8 ZT’s might beat them on power but the V8 brings with it American pig iron on top of an already heaver car.

Had MG lived to make sports saloons /estates in 2018 it might be a different story.
ml.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 17:56   #22
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

It has to be said, the performance of modern cars from smaller engines is astounding.
It's the same with bikes. My Honda Blackbird was the fastest road production bike back in 1996, in fact part of the class that became known as Hyper Sports Bikes, but now it is seen off by, well, I think every bike from 2016 onwards! Mine is geared for acelleration, so top end is dropped to about 178mph, but the ZZR1400 does 200, the ZX10R I had a play with up the Cat and Fiddle last year, left my bike for dead, and I was red lining and scraping the pegs around the bends, he wasn't even trying. The progress is incredible. More horses, lighter weight, better fuel consumption, smaller, faster and cleverer. ONLY downside is I don't get smaller, lighter or quicker. In fact, my gigantic bottom doesn't fit on modern bikes, so I stick with my fat old (now a tourer!) bike.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 20:16   #23
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post
There is a lot of rose tinted spectacles happening in here. I know we all love our cars but nearly 20 years of development has a rather large effect.

Skoda’s are great cars, yes a VW but with more kit and less cost. An Octavia VRS estate is an ideal replacement for the ZTT, refinement, equipment and power while being value. More power is easy to get from them with retunes and the only thing missing from the VRS is the lack of the 4WD petrol as that would see of the golf R’s

And our MG are quick but they are beaten by the VRS on all fronts.

MG ZT 191 PS, 245 Nm, 1625 Kg Octavia VRS 245 Ps, 370 Nm, 1467 Kg

Sure the V8 ZT’s might beat them on power but the V8 brings with it American pig iron on top of an already heaver car.

Had MG lived to make sports saloons /estates in 2018 it might be a different story.
And as the OP's car is listed as a ZT 160 the Skoda would have had an even bigger advantage
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 08:58   #24
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine Mark View Post
And as the OP's car is listed as a ZT 160 the Skoda would have had an even bigger advantage
Yes your right he was a great deal faster than me with a newer , lighter and more of a modern car . He just got a little miffed that i was driving the bends better than him as i drive them every day and i know the optimal entry and exit points . So in order for him to feel good as soon as we hit a straight he mashed the peddle , theres no skill in that anyone can do it . I have the same problem as LotusLc , they see the trophy blue and the spoiler and they must overtake . He didnt know that all i have is 160 bh he just had to get by and i probably made his day and gave him something to tell his work mates. I can go home switch off the V6 , climb out and look back at my MG ZT and think "mmmm what a lovely looking car " which is something that he cant do . When was the last time you heard someone say "mmmm thats a lovely looking Skoda " . Lets just face it its just a Skoda .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 09:32   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Does any of it really matter?

People can overtake as much as they like and as fast as they like, it doesn't bother me.

Personally, I do sometimes look at the 2017 onwards model Superb on the road and think "mmm.... that's a lovely looking car". In fact, I think they now look better than the Audi A4 and A6 to my eyes.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 12:06   #26
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 41 View Post
Yes your right he was a great deal faster than me with a newer , lighter and more of a modern car . He just got a little miffed that i was driving the bends better than him as i drive them every day and i know the optimal entry and exit points . So in order for him to feel good as soon as we hit a straight he mashed the peddle , theres no skill in that anyone can do it . I have the same problem as LotusLc , they see the trophy blue and the spoiler and they must overtake . He didnt know that all i have is 160 bh he just had to get by and i probably made his day and gave him something to tell his work mates. I can go home switch off the V6 , climb out and look back at my MG ZT and think "mmmm what a lovely looking car " which is something that he cant do . When was the last time you heard someone say "mmmm thats a lovely looking Skoda " . Lets just face it its just a Skoda .
Hmm Outlaw. I am frequently told how good the Kodiaq SUV looks. One tyre company we use said it looked as good as new Range Rover !
You need to shake off the old Skoda image where you could double it's value by filling it with petrol and check one out. They are very well made, I have driven new skodas of every style. There are some nice colours available and all sorts of fancy add-ons, I mean, brollies in the door ? a Skoda ? come on...
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 12:43   #27
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

A Bugatti Veyron will get you to your destination a whole 20 seconds quicker than a Citroen 2CV if you both kept to the same cruising speed and within the speed limit. Doesn't stop me wanting a faster car though ...
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 13:34   #28
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Just like us ZT owners that are driving a rebadged Rover 75
I suspect that the MG version was only launched to attract buyers who avoided Rovers because of the "old man" image
Cheers Ian
In some way so, but the point being Rover were using brown paper and sellotape to do it and my goodness they did a great job, where as VW spent billions, to revive a brand. So there is no such a thing as a Skoda, but a Skoda-badged VWs. .
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 14:42   #29
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Crikey, the mis-information, heresay and obvious prejudice abound. It's a bit like listening to conversations about "awful Rover 75s"

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 15:06   #30
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
Crikey, the mis-information, heresay and obvious prejudice abound. It's a bit like listening to conversations about "awful Rover 75s"

It's ridiculous - enjoy your cars, just accept they are old technology with very average suspension. I owned a poverty spec MK5 Golf PDi for a while and it would catch up to pretty much anything on a twisty road without really trying if I was in the mood - overtaking isn't as much fun as catching up . Even my Rover 45 with IRS and double front wishbones handles better than any 75/ZT I've driven btw
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote