Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd August 2018, 10:56   #1
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Default Exhaust back box - volunteer guinea pig wanted.

Firstly I would like to thank Gary (Lovel) for doing an excellent earlier post on ZT rear boxes - see here:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...+steel+exhaust

After reading that, I got in touch with a Chinese manufacturer with a view to getting some Roewe back boxes made up with the correct tips for Rover 75's.

The first sample unit has now arrived, and I need a volunteer !

The sample has been produced in 409 Stainless Steel, which is a normal spec now for automotive exhaust systems. It has downward curved tips which should match the original Rover 75 versions of the back box. It is for

saloon models only.

Including freight, the sample has cost £185.00 to get to the UK.

Is there a member here who would like to buy the sample unit at the price shown, fit it to their car, and report back on fit, sound, performance etc?
If the findings prove OK, then I can import the boxes in lots of ten for a more reasonable price.

I don't have a saloon at the moment which needs an exhaust, so a willing volunteer is needed .

Shown below are photos of the sample:

The unit would be yours to keep once paid for. Please remember however that it is a SAMPLE, and fit and finish might not be up to the final standard.

You would also need to fit the unit fairly quickly so that we can get feedback to proceed to batch manufacture.

Any takers?
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:31   #2
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

i may be being a bit silly but why would anyone want to buy a sample unit that may not be as good a standard as a retail item, at a greater cost than you'll be selling the retail versions at?
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:40   #3
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-Hex View Post
i may be being a bit silly but why would anyone want to buy a sample unit that may not be as good a standard as a retail item, at a greater cost than you'll be selling the retail versions at?
Not silly at all - those were also my thoughts
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:09   #4
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:

Well, the idea is to try the unit and make sure it performs to a satisfactory standard. As such, you will be helping other members source a component that is almost impossible to get in original format. The sample is as fitted to production Roewes, and it is only the tips that have been changed.

The sample is cheaper than similar units on the market without the correct tips, so would still be a bit of a bargain for someone who does not want to fit a Klarius type exhaust.

If no-one is interested, I'll keep it until I need to fit it myself.
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:24   #5
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Looks Good

I'd Happily fit one to my Car

Asking for someone to pay £185 to be Guinea Pig and Road Test the part - where fit and finish may not be up to final standard - and future Buyers would pay LESS for a tested part that will potentially be better Made Surely the Guinea Pig should Get a Deal on the Price ?

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:25   #6
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
Well, the idea is to try the unit and make sure it performs to a satisfactory standard. As such, you will be helping other members source a component that is almost impossible to get in original format. The sample is as fitted to production Roewes, and it is only the tips that have been changed.

The sample is cheaper than similar units on the market without the correct tips, so would still be a bit of a bargain for someone who does not want to fit a Klarius type exhaust.

If no-one is interested, I'll keep it until I need to fit it myself.

This could be a good business opportunity for you.
You donate the box free to a member who is prepared to test it for free, and if the feedback is good, you can sell future ones at a profit.
Think of it as Research and Development costs.
All you stand to lose is £185.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:26   #7
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Quote:
My thoughts exactly !
Would be good to have someone act as guinea pig to test this new back box to see how it compares to other stainless boxes sound wise but don't most guinea pigs try things free of charge for research purposes ?
Having heard most stainless boxes are louder/drone more than standard OEM boxes maybe the best way to test this new sample box would be to find someone on here who has recently had a stainless rear box fitted to their car who would be willing to swap their new box temporarily with this new sample back box to see if it is any better/quieter than theirs.
Or maybe someone could try it on their car on a sale or return basis,being able to return it if it turns out no better than current stainless boxes being sold.
Would be good to find a manufacturer of stainless systems/boxes that were as quiet and performed as good or better than original factory fitted systems though.
Paul
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:58   #8
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
....................I don't have a saloon at the moment which needs an exhaust, so a willing volunteer is needed .............
I suggest you fit it to one of your own cars, regardless of whether it needs it or not. The downside is that you won't have someone else paying for the privilege of testing it, but on the plus side you'll get instant feedback on its performance.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:12   #9
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
I suggest you fit it to one of your own cars, regardless of whether it needs it or not. The downside is that you won't have someone else paying for the privilege of testing it, but on the plus side you'll get instant feedback on its performance.

+1 to this - if you are going to be selling them you need to know yourself everything about them so you a. know what you're talking about and b. have confidence in them yourself.

The feedback from a random forum member won't be enough believe me when people start moaning (and people do) and trying to fob them off with 'well ARandom said his was great' won't cut it unless it's someone like Jules, Trikey or similar.

Sounds a great idea, some diesel back boxes and tourer ones would probably sell well too, I'm just passing on some experience from things I could/should have done better!

Last edited by mystabe; 22nd August 2018 at 13:15..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:24   #10
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

What about a stainless bracket to hold it up or would it be possible to have hangers on the box ?
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote