Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th September 2018, 17:09   #21
Big.Al
Regular poster

Rover 75 Contemporary SE Tourer

I’m pretty confident it’s not the crankshaft pulley they tend to tick or knock and rough idle. I’ve had one fail on me and that doesn’t sound good. The sound is more like a bearing noise thats failed as said before when the AC is off it’s comply quite and is running very smooth it’s just the whining noise when the AC is on is VERY loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big.Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 07:34   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
... the aircon has held out and has been running cold all summer ...
You also said that this problem has been present for a year and a half. If the noise was the compressor bearings, don’t you think it’s likely that the air conditioning performance would have been affected by now?

It’s very dangerous to believe that because the crankshaft pulley was replaced 18 months ago that it cannot have developed a fault. Have a close look at it as Rovertone advises, particularly with the engine running and AC engaged, if only to prove yourself right and eliminate it as a possibility once and for all.

Simon
Old 18th September 2018, 14:42   #23
Big.Al
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You also said that this problem has been present for a year and a half. If the noise was the compressor bearings, don’t you think it’s likely that the air conditioning performance would have been affected by now?

It’s very dangerous to believe that because the crankshaft pulley was replaced 18 months ago that it cannot have developed a fault. Have a close look at it as Rovertone advises, particularly with the engine running and AC engaged, if only to prove yourself right and eliminate it as a possibility once and for all.

Simon
Its only since I had the condenser replaced that the aircon has held out, prior to that it would only last 2-3 months then stop working as there was a leak in the condenser. Hence my concern that the compressor has failed due to overheating its definitely a bearing noise which the crankshaft does not have I will post a video if possible so you can hear it.

However my main question still remains unanswered what is the best way to differentiate between AC whine and belt tensioner Whine?
Old 18th September 2018, 15:43   #24
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I'don't whip the auxiliary belt off and spin all the pulleys to check that they are smooth and quiet.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 16:15   #25
Big.Al
Regular poster

Default Link to video. Noise when AC engaged.

Here is the link to my private youtube video of the noise the car makes when AC is turned on you can really hear the metallic noise as it engages for the first time then the whining noise can be heard in the background (phone didn't pick this up as well as you could hear it within the car).

https://youtu.be/TDT-7dK386Y
Old 18th September 2018, 20:40   #26
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

When was you air con last serviced/regassed?

It’s just that my car was making exactly the same noises you report and my local garage also told me it was the bearings in the compressor and there was nothing that could be done other than replace it. It ran like that getting slowly but progressively worse for a year or so. Air con still pumping out cold air.

Anyway, a groupon voucher cane up for a regas at a national chain. I thought I’d give it a whirl and was both surprised and delighted to be told there was only a fraction of the refrigerant that there should have been and after the procedure all noise has gone. It’s as quite on air con as on Econ.

Worth a thought.

Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 20:48   #27
Big.Al
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
When was you air con last serviced/regassed?

It’s just that my car was making exactly the same noises you report and my local garage also told me it was the bearings in the compressor and there was nothing that could be done other than replace it. It ran like that getting slowly but progressively worse for a year or so. Air con still pumping out cold air.

Anyway, a groupon voucher cane up for a regas at a national chain. I thought I’d give it a whirl and was both surprised and delighted to be told there was only a fraction of the refrigerant that there should have been and after the procedure all noise has gone. It’s as quite on air con as on Econ.

Worth a thought.

It was leaking gas through the condenser but that’s now been fixed surprisingly it always passed a pressure test even with the leak in the condenser and has been re-gassed at the beginning of the summer, twice as it was still making the noise immediately after being gassed up, and they added extra oil to see if that would help but sadly it has not. It runs cold but is just very noisy and annoying.

Old 17th October 2018, 21:55   #28
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Did you get to the bottom of this yet? I have exactly the same issue. I had the alternator pack up on the M11 on Monday (thanks AA...) and replaced today which I had semi-hoped might be the issue, but is not.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 09:01   #29
Big.Al
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Did you get to the bottom of this yet? I have exactly the same issue. I had the alternator pack up on the M11 on Monday (thanks AA...) and replaced today which I had semi-hoped might be the issue, but is not.

Dougie.
Not yet but my mechanic at work reckons it's the tensioner pulley as its bouncing around a lot and the belt is quite worn too, also there are small metal filings around the engine bay probably one of the bearings have packed in. I'm going to change the belts, tensioner pulley and the other static pulley as the rest have been changed see if that does the trick if not I'll change the A/C compressor.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:31   #30
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
Not yet but my mechanic at work reckons it's the tensioner pulley as its bouncing around a lot and the belt is quite worn too, also there are small metal filings around the engine bay probably one of the bearings have packed in. I'm going to change the belts, tensioner pulley and the other static pulley as the rest have been changed see if that does the trick if not I'll change the A/C compressor.
Thanks. Keep us posted please.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote