Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18th September 2018, 22:23   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Maninder, ten years ago I bought my very first Rover 75, it was a British Racing Green Connoisseur SE Tourer 1800T with 42,000 miles on the clock.

I was the second owner, and the car was at the time six years old, and it is the only R40 I've bought that wasn't a rescue, and wasn't any sort of compromise.

The dealer I bought it from supplied it with 12 months MOT, six months VED, a full tank of fuel and a six month warranty.

The price, well it was a shade under £4000.

This car looked every bit as nice as Clyde's car, was ten years younger than Clyde's car, and had half the mileage under it's belt when I bought it.

It also had more options, walnut wheel, gearknob, message centre, PDC, and had quality written all over it, from the matching set of five Dunlop Fast Response tyres on unmarked alloy wheels, to the deep sea green mats protecting the carpet from my hob nail boots.

So can you remind me, what makes this particular car so special ?

Brian

Brian,

You and other's are still missing my point. I have no interest in what Clyde's car is worth, other than recognizing that in my eyes it was a rather special car. In my view a potential buyer will determine the worth of the car if he is genuinely interested in buying it.

I just do not believe that the treatment Clyde received when he published his asking price in the for sale thread was justified and he should not have been subjected to the treatment that he received.

I had a neighbour once who used to regularly take great pleasure in telling us how she disliked various aspects of our house - this included the colour, windows and practically everything else. A decorator working on our house once overheard and suggested that I could put things into perspective for her - which was that we lived in the medieval hall whereas her accommodation was the hall's old piggery repurposed to residential use. Of course I didn't do this but it always astonished me that grown up people have to put others' possessions down in the interest of "informing" or "free speech". I think there is something deeper than this that leads to such behaviour amongst a subset of society.

Last edited by MSS; 18th September 2018 at 22:27..
Old 18th September 2018, 22:28   #32
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

I just do not believe that the treatment Clyde received when he published his asking price in the for sale thread was unjustified and he should not have been subjected to the treatment that he received.
.............. AND the thread on the open forum, ie not the for sale forum (which seems to have disappeared now) discussing said sale. There was no ill treatment, rather opinions given (which must surely have been anticipated by posting on the general forum)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 18th September 2018, 22:31   #33
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
.............. AND the thread on the open forum, ie not the for sale forum (which seems to have disappeared now) discussing said sale. There was no ill treatment, rather opinions given (which must surely have been anticipated by posting on the general forum)

If/when you come to sell your car, please let me know as I will wish to exercise the freedom of expression/comment on a similar basis

I think that most reasonable people would not have expected the posts that were made.
Old 18th September 2018, 22:48   #34
MSS
This is my second home

I think I have expressed my views sufficiently for there not to be any confusion about my thoughts on the matter in hand.

I will be replacing the DIS pack on my Omega tomorrow and it's a pig of a job as it is mounted on the rear of the engine block before the engine is fitted to the car.

Good night gentlemen.
Old 18th September 2018, 22:49   #35
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Brian,

You and other's are still missing my point. I have no interest in what Clyde's car is worth, other than recognizing that in my eyes it was a rather special car. In my view a potential buyer will determine the worth of the car if he is genuinely interested in buying it.

I just do not believe that the treatment Clyde received when he published his asking price in the for sale thread was unjustified and he should not have been subjected to the treatment that he received.

I had a neighbour once who used to regularly take great pleasure in telling us how she disliked various aspects of our house - this included the colour, windows and practically everything else. A decorator working on our house once overheard and suggested that I could put things into perspective for her - which was that we lived in the medieval hall whereas her accommodation was the hall's old piggery repurposed to residential use. Of course I didn't do this but it always astonished me that grown up people have to put others' possessions down in the interest of "informing" or "free speech". I think there is something deeper than this that leads to such behaviour amongst a subset of society.
Ok, in one persons view it is a special car, in the eyes of another it is nothing special.

For a car to be worth what is being asked of this particular one it, it must be pristine in every respect.

It is not, it is quite nice, but compared with what is available to buy at the price this car is being offered, it doesn't represent good value for money even if you let your heart rule your head.

Now Clyde when he opened the thread announcing the sale of his ZTT, wanted people to congratulate him on what a nice car he was selling, and to be told how it was worth every penny of what was being asked for the car, and got upset when this did not happen.

I will be selling my duotone in the very near future, do I care what people think of it, do I care if anyone likes it, do I care if people think it is over priced, underpriced, have the wrong wheels, have the wrong tyres, the wrong colour seats, not be rare enough, etc etc etc etc?

The answer to all of this is no, I do not care, and why should I? it is only a car after all, and there in lies the problem, I could resubscribe, advertise the car on here, and no one can comment about the sale of the car while it is posted solely in the members cars for sale section.

Now if I post up a thread in the general forum, letting everyone know I've spent the best part of £3000 pulling this old banger out of the scrap zone to what is now a car with just about everything that possibly goes wrong with these things, sorted out, and not sorted out in a hurry, but sorted out methodically without time or expense taken into consideration, I can expect to be called out on my asking price, and have people pulling the thing to bits.

Again would this bother me, not particularly, because again it is just a car, some will absolutely love it, others will absolutely loath it, but again that is immaterial.

Brian
Old 18th September 2018, 22:59   #36
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
If/when you come to sell your car, please let me know as I will wish to exercise the freedom of expression/comment on a similar basis

I think that most reasonable people would not have expected the posts that were made.
I am not sure it will be for sale, I enjoy both learning new skills working on it, and driving it. I certainly cannot recoup the costs (if I recall 5.5-6k incl purchase price - excluding fuel, add another 2k if we include insurance costs though! It does not include the tools I have bought to carry out the various jobs on it either).

But if you are serious, feel free to exercise your freedom of expression on MY car if you wish. It is my pride and joy, however I do understand that others have their opinions, and I am more than happy for them to be expressed, because, this is the bit I do not think YOU get. I do NOT care! it is my car, my money, my enjoyment. If you wish to offer critique, even ridicule, or heaven forbid, constructive criticism, please feel free. But always remember, when offering ridicule, I will ALWAYS have the last laugh, because I get to drive it everyday

Just to get you started though, I would likely advertise £2500 for it, I would hope to get £2000, but I KNOW it is worth between £1200-1500, and I KNOW I would likely have to settle on between £800 and 1200 at the minute.

Just to put it to you a different way. I do not 'get' your red top, but I do 'get' your Omega (always have, but really adore the Senator B ).

Last edited by clf; 18th September 2018 at 23:43..
Old 18th September 2018, 23:08   #37
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure it will be for sale, I enjoy both learning new skills working on it, and driving it. I certainly cannot recoup the costs (if I recall 5.5-6k incl purchase price - excluding fuel, add another 2k if we include insurance costs though! It does not include the tools I have bought to carry out the various jobs on it either).

But if you are serious, feel free to exercise your freedom of expression on MY car if you wish. It is my pride and joy, however I do understand that others have their opinions, and I am more than happy for them to be expressed, because, this is the bit YOU do not get. I do NOT care! it is my car, my money, my enjoyment. If you wish to offer critique, even ridicule, or heaven forbid, constructive criticism, please feel free. But always remember, when offering ridicule, I will ALWAYS have the last laugh, because I get to drive it everyday

Just to get you started though, I would likely advertise £2500 for it, I would hope to get £2000, but I KNOW it is worth between £1200-1500, and I KNOW I would likely have to settle on between £800 and 1200 at the minute.

Just to put it to you a different way. I do not 'get' your red top, but I do 'get' your Omega (always have, but really adore the Senator B ).
Senator B, pah, nothing compares to a Carlton GSi 3000, save perhaps a Lotus variant

Good luck with the sale of your duct tape silver primertallic ZT, who would be seen driving such a thing............errr I'd best get me coat then
Old 18th September 2018, 23:17   #38
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

Quote:

The thing being is that Clyde posted many photos over the years of his car and valeting cars was even referred to as nevving on the forum. So Most people waited in anticipation to see what price he'd advertise it at when he posted up on the general forum that it would be going up for sale.
Of course members were going to comment on the asking price as it was a diesel ZTT for V8 money. It's a nice condition car granted as I seen it at Eden camp last year but not detailed or as good as the photos portray it out to be.
That he was happy to receive positive comments about the car but then left the club when the value was questioned left a lot of people perplexed. There was nothing nasty or personal involved which made him come to his decision only the price was questioned which was only to be expected on an open forum.
Hopefully he'll see it from both perspectives and rejoin at some point.
Old 18th September 2018, 23:24   #39
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Senator B, pah, nothing compares to a Carlton GSi 3000, save perhaps a Lotus variant

Good luck with the sale of your stunning duct tape silver primertallic ZT, how high would the status be of who would be seen driving such a thing................... I'd best get me coat then

well yes of course, the Lotus. The GSi, whilst nice, but if I was going down the line i would rather have the luxury and something I liked the look of, if I was having mid life crisis with a family.

I would be seen driving such a thing, but as much as I covet certain colours, I really really love the anonymity.

Last edited by clf; 18th September 2018 at 23:46..
Old 19th September 2018, 05:33   #40
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:

but I am happy with the compliments and passes from the MOT (NI) tester, because it is MY car, and I like it. I couldnt give a toss what others thought of it, the cost, time and effort it gives me, makes it good value to me.
It doesn't bother you and therefore no one else should be bothered?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Closed Thread