Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th September 2018, 23:05   #1
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Default Rear Subframe bushes

Has anyone had any experience of replacing these bushes?

(alloy ZT ones)

I see one side is a large flange, slightly confused how you would be able to put something on this side to then wind/press it out when the flange prevents leverage against the frame.

Am I missing something obvious?
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 23:24   #2
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I cut through the centre of them and then knocked out the 2 halves.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 23:52   #3
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Rubber or metal?

Bit of an issue, I want to swap some ZT metal ones from one subframe to another.
Old 15th September 2018, 06:00   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

If the donor subframe is scrap, then using a hacksaw cut a scroll around the outside of the subframe surrounding the bush to the point where the subframe can be opened up using a flat screwdriver, then the bushes can be knocked out without damage.

I hope this is more successful than your powdercoated upper rear arm bush replacement

For what it's worth, I think you would be better off fitting the rubber bushed subframe as is Ross, as the perceived change in handling characteristics will not be noticeable

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018, 11:13   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

For what it's worth, I think you would be better off fitting the rubber bushed subframe as is Ross, as the perceived change in handling characteristics will not be noticeable

Brian
............ and any possible wear or deterioration of the rubber bush is likely to be minimal. The old subframe should be salvagable, so prep, paint and store it for future replacement.

This has become my plan, for when the new arms need to be replaced again. Remove and replace as a whole, allowing me to paint the underbody again. Or alternatively if I get rid of the car for whatever reason, it can be sold on.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018, 14:12   #6
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If the donor subframe is scrap, then using a hacksaw cut a scroll around the outside of the subframe surrounding the bush to the point where the subframe can be opened up using a flat screwdriver, then the bushes can be knocked out without damage.

I hope this is more successful than your powdercoated upper rear arm bush replacement

Brian
Brian!!

You are back! Hopefully the internet handbag-clasping whingers can wind it in a bit from now on!

Also Brian, I found a PROPER company locally, who are going to wet finish the whole lot. Handbrake cable bracket, new Fuel tank strap, new arms, new lower arms, subframe, ARB, literally everything at the back will be new/refurbished, and even the new parts are getting blasted, primed, and wet finished properly, as even the paint that comes on the new bits has damage and bits flaking off.

What I have is the following:-

1) Used Donor Subframe with literally perfect alloy bushes, but damage to those stupid nut holders.
2) Subframe off car, PERFECT nut holders, alloy bushes are SERIOUSLY corroded, worryingly so. (measured with vernier)
3) Brand new Chinese Subframe with 75 bushes. (Not fitting this, as after closer inspection, the metal and quality of the Original subframe is superior, plus I hate Chinese parts, and do not want them anywhere near my car aside from cases of desperation.

So..... I am happy to wreck the donor subframe to get the alloy bushes out, but how to press out the ones on the sub-frame I want to keep?

Chinese subframe will be stored for future emergencies or for sale.

Last edited by T16; 15th September 2018 at 14:21..