Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th August 2018, 19:17   #71
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I doubt much will be achieved in terms of retro fit stuff.

Take LPG install on V8's .......................
Many of my customers only get £10 discount per year off the VED rate.
Absolute joke really.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 14:52   #72
sratansi
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBlue75 View Post
I've been pondering what to do, and have been following the issue for some time.

I don't intend to do anything in too much of a hurry, as the Mayor has to win an election between now and then and unless he does, it may not happen.

I've also contacted a number of firms that supply retrofit solutions for commercial vehicles, so far without success, but on a positive note recently came across this:

http://www.amminex.com/news.aspx?Act...sId=40&PID=850

With so many vehicles being affected - literally hundreds of thousands and similar schemes elsewhere, maybe the potential market will result in some retrofit solutions appearing in the next year or two.

I live in hope anyway!

i've done the same although idont think it will be that easy for the non dpf cars to have a retro fit solution

Missing that Rover 75 feeling..
Rover 75 CDTI Auto Connie 55 plate - Gone now..

BMW 325 E92 written off

Maybe one final flirt with a MG ZT
sratansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 15:07   #73
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

All I can say is I sympathise with the owners who live in London.

Fortunately my involvement with driving to the capital will end once my eldest daughter finishes university.

Her accommodation was on the periphery of the congestion charge zone, and that was fraught enough making sure I didn't stray into it accidentally.

For those who do live there, then the voting choices involving the current mayor are quite simple, and why not let the mayors office know what your feelings are in relation to the extension of the LEZ, and if they are not addressed in a satisfactory manner, that your vote will be cast in a different direction.

I used to live in Alperton, and work in Perivale, meaning I didn't need to use either public transport, or car to commute, however I certainly didn't want to stay in the city over the weekends, and not being able to drive out of town without contribution to what amounts to a "stealth tax" and nothing more would have been galling

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 15:20   #74
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I live 28 miles from London and often drive upto London either in the evenings or at the weekend as whilst it limits me to one drink it's far nicer driving home in your own company than mixing with the idiots on the last train home. That will all come to an end next year as none of my MGR cars or my wife's Mini Clubvan avoid the charge. The Government encouraged the purchase of diesel cars at the start of the millennium and are now penalising those that did. We won't change our cars we love them and its not cost effective to do so.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 16:05   #75
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

If you were allowed to put 2 cars on one insurance policy I am sure more people would buy a second small / microcar for town use.

When I enquired I was told I would have to take out a second policy with no no-claims discount.

It’s not as if you can drive both cars at once !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 16:39   #76
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Lets face it the hitting of older non compliant vehicles is not fair. Certainly when a car over 40 years old is exempt & possibly pushes out more emissions. Everyone buys an old exempt car, emissions go through the roof, what then?

It may have been easier to take had there been a "lead in" time of say 3-5 years with the charge increasing each year to allow people a little time to adjust/alter their lives. That would have involved common sense & consideration....!!!!! & when have we known Politicians to have either

If your a politician I'd happily say that to your face.

With so many cities probably going the same way is it maybe we all have to accept that as much as we love our cars & cars in general, we ditch them in favour of "greener" alternatives Hydrogen Cells for example.

Lets face it we've known about CFC's, Global Warming & pollution for long enough now. Is it only the mighty $, less mighty £, the Euro & Yen & greed/selfishness that has stopped as much investment in other energies.

Are we just thinking of ourselves & not having a decent planet for our Great Grandchildren & beyond.

Lecture & rant over.

Regards

Paul
Old 30th August 2018, 23:29   #77
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If I had the engineering expertise, I would be developing quick change electric packs for some of the current, popular, premium price cars (Jag, LR, VAG, Merc, BMW), so that when the time comes, it may be possible to remove the powerplant/front axle assembly, on front subframe, for fwd models, replacing with electric and front wheel regenerative braking. On RWD models, regen would be on the back wheels, in the drive motors. Somebody must be working on this, after all, how polluting is it going to be to prematurely scrap millions of perfectly functioning vehicles, with all those unrecyclable interior plastics, for the sake of changing the power train? Hopefully, consumer pressure will make it happen. Or will the new consumer simply return his old IC motor, and renew the lease, on a new EV? Will the manufacturers not find a way of recycling the IC trade-ins, returning them, electrified, to their sales forecourts?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 07:45   #78
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
What you say is fine Gary, but I don’t understand what it has to do with the ULEZ.
  • Your historic Rovers, if pre-1973, are exempt so can be used within the ULEZ so why sell the 75?
  • You work outside London mainly, so you can use the 75.
  • The few times you work nights inside the ULEZ, pay the charge or use your historic Rovers.

I don’t see a case for selling your 75.

Simon
I live just inside the North Circ'. Every day l drove the 75 l would be eligible for the charge. After 2021 that will be £12.50 for residents too so even if l only used it a couple of times a week that's another £500 per year plus it's own insurance policy (it's not allowed on my multi-classic insurance), VED & residents parking permit. l have been under-using my classic Rover's since l bought the 75 so if l can't use her as my daily without paying an extra £1300 a year for the privilege then she's gotta go I'm afraid.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 09:06   #79
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

The London ULEZ extension starts on Monday 25th October, It will stretch from the north circular to the south circular an area 18 times larger than the central ULEZ
Euro 5 standards & over are exempt.

https://scraplocal.co.uk/news/ulez-e...omplete-guide/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 10:00   #80
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

were all heading for hydrogen fuel cell over here in Australia.
Only real alternative due to large remote distances .
Crazy thing is were such a small emissions emitter in the world, if we shut every
industry here it would not even make any difference to world emissions but our Govt is agonising over this 2050 zero emissions target.
Its a crazy world where people are proposing shutting large parts of society down to reduce emissions but no one has a real working alternative , just
hypothetical theories and proposals but it keeps the fringes and industrialists happy.
Got me why you guys are complying with Euro standards when your not even in the EU anymore.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote