Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2009, 08:09   #1
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Default Virgin web creator

Folks

Have searched and read some of the posts on websites and hosting.

Have decided to take the plunge to create a website so would be grateful for any comments or suggestions – being a complete beginner at this.

Decided not to use hosts software so shall be using Serifs WebPlus X4 to create the site – any comments welcome.

I assume that if I go with a host that provides on-line web building software that I will be able to upload mine even though I have not used their software.

I want to have about four domain names but pointing at the one actual website – from what I have read this is not too complicated – be grateful for any advice on this.

Read some comments from Steven Williams on sub domains – my interpretation is that these could be used to branch off the main website to ‘websites’ of specific interest, i.e. my cars, my photos etc.

Email addresses for the website – I presume that the emails can be forwarded to another email address.

It would seem that some hosts are more friendly than others. I have made a note of some of the good ones mentioned (and also the bad ones). Any other recommendations most welcome.

Many thanks

Paul

Unfortunately for you lot, we are now stuck behind a broken train. We'll be here for quite a while but I don't care, I'm now on overtime.
London tube train announcement
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 08:46   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstoneboy View Post
Folks

Have searched and read some of the posts on websites and hosting.

Have decided to take the plunge to create a website so would be grateful for any comments or suggestions – being a complete beginner at this.

Decided not to use hosts software so shall be using Serifs WebPlus X4 to create the site – any comments welcome.

I assume that if I go with a host that provides on-line web building software that I will be able to upload mine even though I have not used their software.

I want to have about four domain names but pointing at the one actual website – from what I have read this is not too complicated – be grateful for any advice on this.

Read some comments from Steven Williams on sub domains – my interpretation is that these could be used to branch off the main website to ‘websites’ of specific interest, i.e. my cars, my photos etc.

Email addresses for the website – I presume that the emails can be forwarded to another email address.

It would seem that some hosts are more friendly than others. I have made a note of some of the good ones mentioned (and also the bad ones). Any other recommendations most welcome.

Many thanks

Paul
I have used Easily for all my domains for years http://www.easily.co.uk

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 08:39   #3
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

It looks like a great website creator. I mostly work on my iPad to set websites.
BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 10:26   #4
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I can't remember what your business involves but that looks fine if the business isn't e-commerce based, I would seriously think about something else if it is because although I'm sure it can be done it will be harder than with a specific e-commerce website builder.

One thing I do find with the drag and drop website builders personally is it's very easy to build a website that looks like it's from the 90's but quite a bit harder to build a modern looking one - but again it depends what the website is for, how good you are at graphic design and how bothered you are about having a modern looking site.

For emails, yes you can forward them to another email address but I'd recommend keeping them separate and use an email client like Thunderbird (unless you are very good with email protocol I would avoid Outlook as it can be a huge pain to set up for domain email addresses) or on phones/tablets BlueMail which in my experience just works without any set up fuss.

Everyone has their favourite hosts but I use Eco Hosting and in 5 years I've only experienced about an hour of a website being down due to server issues and they sort out any problems very quickly without treating you like an idiot!

Have fun!
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote