Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd August 2015, 21:34   #11
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Plug gaps are 1mm, using denso iridium. I swapped it with an ngk standard plug... Same result. I have read about reducing the gap tp .7mm but it has been running fine at 1mm (until misfire started) and it runs fine when the engine is warm.
Thankyou all for your input, its is greatly appreciated.
Ste.Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 08:21   #12
HenryD
Loves to post

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste.Sales View Post
Past 2 weeks i have had a misfire for around 5 mins when the car is first started from cold. Obd2 confirms cylinder2 misfire. Once warm it runs perfect. It also runs perfect if started again a few hours after previous drive. However the misfire returns if left for a long time, ie overnight.
I have swapped plugs over, swapped coil packs, swapped ht leads and injectors..still misfire cylinder 2. Compression tested cylinders:
No1 -160
No2 - 175
No3 - 180
No4 - 175
I have no coolant loss. There is no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. Plenum is dry.
Any ideas? Thanks

Misfire could be caused by an injector playing about,try swapping out that one with another and see if fault goes with it,you seem to have covered the HT side of things.
Old 4th August 2015, 08:43   #13
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

It could also be caused by low fuel pressure (partly separated fuel filter huousing (FFS)???), burnt/sticking valves, bad injector, O2 sensor bad...
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 10:29   #14
HenryD
Loves to post

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
It could also be caused by low fuel pressure (partly separated fuel filter huousing (FFS)???), burnt/sticking valves, bad injector, O2 sensor bad...
02 sensor shouldn't matter from cold when running open loop
Old 4th August 2015, 11:31   #15
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Im starting to think its going to be a mechanical issue... Sticking valves perhaps. I swapped cylinder 2 injector with no4. No difference. I also checked resistance of the injector coils, all good. Checked wiring loom for injectors too. No breaks and obvious sign of damage. Would low fuel pressure cause only one cylinder to misfire? (And the same one at that). Well i only have a few days before my holiday, then i will strip the engine down and have a look.
Ps. I nnoticed today that the engine is making a fair bit of hydraulic lifter noise (heavy tapping) for a minute or so after startup... It didnt make this noise on saturday (3 days ago), coincidence?
Old 4th August 2015, 17:16   #16
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Or

It could be condensation in the plug hole that's shorting out to the head, then it warms up and evaporates. I'd try shining a torch in number 2 plug hole before trying to start it to look for moisture.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 18:09   #17
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi fellow members. Its been nearly two weeks since my last post. I have finally solved the misfire mystery. First of all, i would like to thank everyone who gave input and helpfull advice.... Thanks
Right... I have had a bit of a nightmare thats ended up costing me a few hundred quid. To cut a long story short, one of the exhaust valve springs was broken! It was still holding the valve in but not sealing it, maybe a half mm from the valve seat. Also the cam follower for this valve was shot too. The nipple in the center was almost flat! Another problem i encountered were the camshafts, both had very heavy scoring on the bearings. So, i bought a new cylinder head with valves, new camshafts, new followers, new cam belt + tensioner + water pump plus oil and filters and other miscellaneous bits. Spent a day rebuilding it and now runs sweet as a nut. Wife is now happy! So am I, used her credit card haha. Would post some pics but i have no idea how.
Old 15th August 2015, 21:20   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste.Sales View Post
I would post some pics but I have no idea how.
Excuses not allowed: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=222759

In Point 10, the image should appear within your message GUI before you send/save it. That way you can check it's the right one and of the correct size.

Photos taken directly from a camera/phone may be ultra large (eg 2500-3000 pixels wide) and are best resized to around 800 pixels before uploading to Photobucket. That way you don't post any images that take up the whole screen or maybe two screen widths of the browser. The forum software might resize some oversize photos, but many seem to get through and make a mess of the layout (IMO of course).

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 22:43   #19
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks T cut, will get on it in the morning.