Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2011, 10:18   #1
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Scam!!(Fraud)

Following on from a recent thread about scam offers to buy cars, caravans etc. I thought I should post a recent attempt to defraud me of several thousand poundsworth of caravan.

O.K., the attempt is pathetic and transparent but nevertheless infuriating. I recently advertised my caravan for sale on caravans4u.com and, after an enquiry re. condition, price, etc received this:

Thanks for the quick response and I'm satisfied with the condition of the motohome..I am OK with the price and i will love to make an instant purchase because i'm buying this motohome for my dad as a birthday gift, I'm located in Hillsdale Township MI but due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore, sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of the immarsat service. Fortunately the internet access working averagely and i was able to come across the advert of motohome . I really want the motohome to be a surprise for my dad by not disclosing the motohome until the delivery is made to him so am sure he will be more than happy with the motohome. I don't mind adding an extra £50 for you to take the advert down from the site so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the motohome. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank account attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the motohome and i will be happy to pay PayPal charges and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, i will like you to go on tohttp://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so that i can put the money through.

Notice : You don't need to bother your self about the shipment and the International Health Certificate, i have an international courier shipping company that will come to your location for the pick-up,they will also determine and secure the shipment can be done, because i will be adding some extra fee to the payment which is meant for the shipping and insurance..all you need to do is as soon as you receive the money in your account you will deduct your motohome fee and send the rest funds to the shipping company information that will be provided to you in the mean time....So I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the making of the payment.

1.Your PayPal full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3..Your phone number.

Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping. I will have my mover come over as soon as you have your money in your account.

Do Have a nice day,
My Best Regard
Sam

I have reported the mail to the website and asked for my advert to be withdrawn but have recieved no response.

I know we are aware of these 'scams' but I am unhappy with the term 'scam'. It is, in fact, a criminal offence and a serious attempt at fraud on a global scale. Some people will fall for it. I believe, not sure, that the perpetrator is from Nigeria.

Kev.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 10:28   #2
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Top Gear will do anything to get their hands on a caravan, nowadays....
Old 8th December 2011, 10:46   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

[B]Hi Kevin, You are as I understand it are selling a caravan and this guy is on about buying a Motorhome It makes one suspicious from the start/B]
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 10:49   #4
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
[B]Hi Kevin, You are as I understand it are selling a caravan and this guy is on about buying a Motorhome It makes one suspicious from the start/B]
Hi Derek,
Yes, alarm bells from the start. It is referred to as a 'motohome', you'd think they would get the spelling correct even if the grammar is awful.

Kev.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 11:25   #5
Shabbs
Loves to post

Rover 75 Contemporary SE, Starlight Silver

I almost fell for similar when purchasing a Range Rover via ebay, he asked for payment via bidpay which concerned me, when I stated that ebay don't allow bidpay he fell silent and was never heard of again. The account had been hacked as the account holder had 100% feedback. Buyers beware.
Member No: 3872
---------------------------------
Shabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 11:29   #6
nick nick
Retired

R75 CDTI SE ( N80 UTD )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrandle View Post
Following on from a recent thread about scam offers to buy cars, caravans etc. I thought I should post a recent attempt to defraud me of several thousand poundsworth of caravan.

O.K., the attempt is pathetic and transparent but nevertheless infuriating. I recently advertised my caravan for sale on caravans4u.com and, after an enquiry re. condition, price, etc received this:

Thanks for the quick response and I'm satisfied with the condition of the motohome..I am OK with the price and i will love to make an instant purchase because i'm buying this motohome for my dad as a birthday gift, I'm located in Hillsdale Township MI but due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore, sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of the immarsat service. Fortunately the internet access working averagely and i was able to come across the advert of motohome . I really want the motohome to be a surprise for my dad by not disclosing the motohome until the delivery is made to him so am sure he will be more than happy with the motohome. I don't mind adding an extra £50 for you to take the advert down from the site so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the motohome. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank account attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the motohome and i will be happy to pay PayPal charges and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, i will like you to go on tohttp://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so that i can put the money through.

Notice : You don't need to bother your self about the shipment and the International Health Certificate, i have an international courier shipping company that will come to your location for the pick-up,they will also determine and secure the shipment can be done, because i will be adding some extra fee to the payment which is meant for the shipping and insurance..all you need to do is as soon as you receive the money in your account you will deduct your motohome fee and send the rest funds to the shipping company information that will be provided to you in the mean time....So I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the making of the payment.

1.Your PayPal full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3..Your phone number.

Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping. I will have my mover come over as soon as you have your money in your account.

Do Have a nice day,
My Best Regard
Sam

I have reported the mail to the website and asked for my advert to be withdrawn but have recieved no response.

I know we are aware of these 'scams' but I am unhappy with the term 'scam'. It is, in fact, a criminal offence and a serious attempt at fraud on a global scale. Some people will fall for it. I believe, not sure, that the perpetrator is from Nigeria.

Kev.
These people must work off template letters as some of the text in the above
is identical to the text used in the recent thread .
I dont know how these people can lay stright in bed
nick nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 14:24   #7
den-diggaler

rover 75 saloon

they have tried con with jukeboxes & boats as well does make you concerned about buying/selling online
Old 8th December 2011, 16:27   #8
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

They'll try anything.Just wonder how many times they are succesfull.
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:49   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus View Post
They'll try anything.Just wonder how many times they are succesfull.
If only 1 in 1,000 fall for it, they are ahead.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 20:19   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

my dad had a scam letter recently,from some chinaman,claiming that my dad was a benefactor,in the estate of some bloke who had the same surname and initial,who had died in china,but he must not tell anyone about it.No money was asked for on this occasion,but I bet if he'd responded,there would have been "administration fees"
no address,just an e-mail and international phone number.
Wonder what they'll come up with next