Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st May 2012, 10:27   #1
02CDT

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Number plate light problem (saloon)

I was driving home the other night when the warning light came on for a light failure. When I checked both number plate lights had failed, strange that both bulbs should blow I thought.
Next morning I checked the lights, both bulbs appeared okay. I took the assembly apart and one of the copper spring bulb holders was loose and was not providing a connection at the mounting board. A bit of brute force with a screwdriver reconnected them. Both bulbs were then working but when I used the car again at night one of the bulbs stopped working, the one I had not done anything about. I checked this side with a multimeter and it has a voltage across the connectors of about 11.5 and the bulb is in working order. put them together however and they still do not work, any ideas anyone?
02CDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 10:41   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

It's a common fault, the circuit board connection tracks can split and break in the boot handle, so need resoldering.

Take at look at this How To...

Number Plate Light Repaired (PCB damage)

Hope that helps
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 19:36   #3
02CDT

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the link, I suppose it must be a damaged connection to the PCB it was strange how I was getting a voltage but yet the bulb was not working. As luck would have it however it has decided to start working of its own accord! I will have to take it apart sometime and check the soldered joints and renew them to stop it happening again.
02CDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 20:04   #4
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Mine has done exactly the same for about 6 months. Sometimes a bang on the boot lid works. Now that I see what the probable problem is, I'll give it some investigation.

Yet again, some useful information passed on to fellow sufferers. Brilliant club this.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 17:39   #5
blackbar
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02CDT View Post
I was driving home the other night when the warning light came on for a light failure. When I checked both number plate lights had failed, strange that both bulbs should blow I thought.
Next morning I checked the lights, both bulbs appeared okay. I took the assembly apart and one of the copper spring bulb holders was loose and was not providing a connection at the mounting board. A bit of brute force with a screwdriver reconnected them. Both bulbs were then working but when I used the car again at night one of the bulbs stopped working, the one I had not done anything about. I checked this side with a multimeter and it has a voltage across the connectors of about 11.5 and the bulb is in working order. put them together however and they still do not work, any ideas anyone?
I had exactly the same problem last weekend but with only one bulb. Both bulbs were good and 12v measured at the contacts of both bulbs. I measured the resistance from the pos to each of the bulb holders, on one I got 1.8 ohms and the other 1.7 Mega Ohms,it was not corroded tracks but high resistance at the riveted connection on the bulb holder so I soldered all 4 riveted connections to the bulb holdrs and both bulb holders show a max resistance of 1.8 Ohms.

hope this helps , Barry
blackbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:00   #6
chuckie6819
Regular poster

2002 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur Saloon

Had this problem with mine too, had replaced bulbs, initially they worked then the didn't, was able to get a new part off ebay for £25, it was a good job too cause the original was brittle and broke when removed.
chuckie6819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:11   #7
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Wink Get a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie6819 View Post
Had this problem with mine too, had replaced bulbs, initially they worked then the didn't, was able to get a new part off ebay for £25, it was a good job too cause the original was brittle and broke when removed.
Hi

As said above new ones are not too expensive. I soldered mine but keep having to do it again. New one the best solution. It drove me nuts!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:50   #8
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

I soldered mine and soldered the bulbs in place and never had a problem since.

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 07:19   #9
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

When refitting mine, i applied plenty of silicone to stop water getting in and damaging the pcb again. I had also noticed that the normal bulbs were causing the housing to burn and crack allowing water in too, so sealed that with more silicone and fitted canbus friendly led bulbs as they produce almost no heat at all.

No problems since
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote