Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th August 2018, 22:47   #191
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Jag / Ford Mondeo Mount.

Thread re-visit regarding the lower engine mount, some time has passed since I/we looked at lower engine mounts, the original OEM mount for a diesel which had a letter T stamped on it as all but disappeared, a few are still about but are expensive £70 or so, the yellow power flex is still being used to good effect.

As above in the thread a few did try the Ford Mondeo/Jaguar mount but found it to be harsh and give off a lot of vibration.?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MOND...cAAOSwGnpeORqk

I have again recently looked into this a little more, history knows we had to fettle the small end of the mount in the width to make it fit, ie saw a little off so it became the same width as the original on our R40, I also know that you could shave some off the alloy in the same area to help stop the vibration hopefully, I have checked this out and found in my opinion this could compromise the mount in that area, because the amount that is cut off & would need grinding off is quite significant.

Therefore I looked in a different direction, I took the bracket from the engine side that the mount fixes too off a car, I then decided that if you ground down the mount in the area where the jag mount bolts to it by about 4mm the mount would clear the bracket and eliminate the grinding of the alloy this in turn cut down the vibration that I found was being caused by the mount knocking against the bracket.

Here below are the latest photo's of the bracket and how the original mount fits to it and also showing how the Jag mount fouls the bracket.
First photo is showing the small edge of the mount and how the Jag one is wider.

Next showing how they are the same length but the alloy of the Jag mount is wider.

The Jag mount having the section sawn off so it is the same width as the original mount, this enables it to fit into the bracket attached to the engine, but will it compromise the small bush?

The original mount and the Jag mount side by side, jag mount having been sawn.

The jag mount fitted to the car you can see how the small end is connecting to the bracket thus giving off the vibration with the mount.

There is a little gap at the bottom of the mount and the bracket but once the car is lowered that is lost, also at the upper end of the bracket there is no such gap it is touching.

Here you see the bracket off the car and on the work bench with an original mount fitted to it, even though it does not have the large insert fitted.

Here once again an original mount but this time with the large insert being exchanged for the power flex, albeit a petrol large mount insert, as I did not have a diesel one at the time of doing this experiment, which as slots within the larger bush.

You can clearly see there is plenty of space between the engine bracket and the mount.

Now I tried a jag mount which as had the edge ground down as much as I would have liked, any more and in my opinion it will compromise the strength of the mount in that area, note I have not ground it all round the small end just the top part.

Once fitted to the bracket you can clearly see it is fouling the bracket even though it as been ground down to what I think it should and could be and no more, other wise it may not be safe.

On close up it looks to be about 1mm clear

But in fact I could not get the thin blade of the knife in the photo between the alloy mount and the bracket.

When I turned over the bracket to see the lower part of the mount it was fouling the bracket.

This would mean that the alloy Jag mount would need to be ground down around the end completely by a lot more than I did thus compromising the mount.

The answer lies in the bracket, because it is so robust and strong you can afford to grind off the edge which meets the Jag alloy mount by 4mm top and bottom.

Therefore grind off the 4mm on a stone.

Then put the bracket in a vice and finish it off with a file.

Re-fit the jag mount to the bracket and test the gap/ space between the two points which before were touching, you now have the same amount of gap as an original when it is fitted to an unground bracket.

This should make the Jag mount fit ok next to the original mount at a third of the cost of an original mount, and half the cost of the after market ones doing the rounds.

This will of cause take a little more time than just fitting an original mount, after market mount, I doubt also that a garage will want to remove and rework the bracket, even if they do they are going to charge you for the time and extra work, therefore you would have lost the amount saved in cost of purchasing a jag mount as opposed to an original one with the letter T stamped on it, I may purchase a few brackets and get them ready for the nano meets ? but that is not going to be this years season.

Also it is not an easy job to remove the bracket and replace it, time consuming and hard to do.

Hopefully this will help those whom would like to tackle this job for themselves / or not cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 31st March 2020 at 22:47.. Reason: Photo editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 08:56   #192
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

A very interesting upgrade, I look forward to your comments over a testing period.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 01:41   #193
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
A very interesting upgrade, I look forward to your comments over a testing period.
Hi Steve.
Yes I will report back but to be honest I can not see there being any trouble from this mod, it will cut out any fouling of the Jag mount altogether so should eliminate any vibration that the Jag mount was giving.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th August 2018, 12:08   #194
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Default Another excellent how to Steve

Reading various threads regarding the mondeo/jag mount- some members mentioned the need for washers to fill the gaps between the larger end and the bracket it bolts to. Did you need to use washers at either end of the mount? Would they help stop vibration where the outer metal of the mount is in contact with the bracket(s)?
Please keep us posted regarding how your installed mount 'behaves'.

Last edited by bigblue75; 15th August 2018 at 12:11.. Reason: Tablet typing correction
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 12:45   #195
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue75 View Post
Reading various threads regarding the mondeo/jag mount-
Quote:
some members mentioned the need for washers to fill the gaps between the larger end and the bracket it bolts to
. Did you need to use washers at either end of the mount? Would they help stop vibration where the outer metal of the mount is in contact with the bracket(s)?
Please keep us posted regarding how your installed mount 'behaves'.
Hi Joe.
Yes if you look at photo 24 you will see the washers stuck to the mount in question cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th August 2018, 15:36   #196
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

It would be good if you could in fact check that the engine bracket you have in your bottom photo is in fact the same as on the 1.8T and if possible measure the gap, if so this then would prove that the mounts are ideal fit in that area for the 1.8 engine, I will try and take a look at the engine bracket on the 2.5 V6 when I have time.

In any event we do not really have a problem with the 1.8 and 2.5 lower engine mounts giving off vibrations therefore no need to use modified mounts really, cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 16th August 2018, 11:32   #197
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

I fitted the mondeo mount to my diesel and no matter what I did couldn't stop it vibrating so swapped it with one from dmgrs, but just fitted another mondeo one to the 190 and works absolutely fine zero vibration.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 12:09   #198
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy600 View Post
I
Quote:
fitted the mondeo mount to my diesel and no matter what I did couldn't stop it vibrating
so swapped it with one from dmgrs, but just fitted another mondeo one to the 190 and works absolutely fine zero vibration.
HI Eddy.
Yes it would have been the bracket fouling the alloy mount in the area above which I added photo's to show, therefore if members wish to use the jag mount in my opinion you would need to grind down the bracket not the alloy mount.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 20th November 2018, 12:41   #199
stevo snr
Loves to post

Rover 75Mk2 Saloon Conn SE CDTi

Hi folks I've just received a new lower mount from MGROVER parts for my 2004 diesel. I'm concerned that it has an "M" on the rubber instead of a "T" looks the same, is it OK to use?
Old 20th November 2018, 19:30   #200
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo snr View Post
Hi folks I've just received a new lower mount from MGROVER parts for my 2004 diesel. I'm concerned that it has an "M" on the rubber instead of a "T" looks the same, is it OK to use?
Hi Ken.
Very interesting question, and debatable, if it is a genuine mount with the letter M printed on it then the answer is NO, as the original mount with letter M is for the 1.8 petrol cars.

Now here is where it can get sticky as we have had reports that the original diesel mount mould got damage/ or lost ?

Therefore the manufacturer as supposedly stated that they now use the mould for the 1.8 petrol with the letter M on it, but use the compound for what was the diesel mount with the letter T.

As you can see this can be and is most likely being abused by some, not that i am saying your seller is, I would ask the question to the seller and see what he as to say on the subject.

DMGRS as stated in another thread that he as some genuine letter T mounts left maybe drop him a PM and return the one you have purchased ?

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 30th November 2018 at 18:31.. Reason: spelling