Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th August 2018, 21:02   #11
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Visited MG today and well impressed with build quality, better than Ford Kuga I currently have on 48 hour test!!
Guess what I'll be testing next?
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 21:22   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I think the GS looks ugly from all sides, but the zs looks quite nice. Wouldnt ever own one personally, not my type of car aand these new mg's are just euroboxes, including the 3 and 6.

Also dont buy one new you loose crazy amount of money as their value just plummets as soon as you leave the showroom. We're looking at possibly getting a MG6 as a new daily for my girlfriend. Didn't like the mg3 or mg6 when they werefirst launched but those two models have grown on me a little. An mg6 isn't our first choice but for her 4k budget she gets a hell of a lot of car compared to any other alternative. We can get a 12 plate 50k miles or less model well within that budget including the top of the range model, which if i've read correctly was £21k new. Hence whu i say dont buy brand new.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 21:35   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo65 View Post
Just had a look at the new mg6 at a dealership in Chongqing the salesman was very proud to tell me about the build quality especially the bonnet and front slam panel area I have to admit it did seem very well manufactured I'll post pictures when I get back home
I've had a peek at Ricardo's pics, I have to say I like the interiors of the Chinese cars a lot.
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 04:19   #14
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I've had a peek at Ricardo's pics, I have to say I like the interiors of the Chinese cars a lot.
I saw pictures of the car on Facebook, it was at some racetrack in this country and I agree Andy it was a beautiful car inside, mind you the outside looked pretty good too
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 06:05   #15
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
I think the GS looks ugly from all sides, but the zs looks quite nice. Wouldnt ever own one personally, not my type of car aand these new mg's are just euroboxes, including the 3 and 6.

Also dont buy one new you loose crazy amount of money as their value just plummets as soon as you leave the showroom. We're looking at possibly getting a MG6 as a new daily for my girlfriend. Didn't like the mg3 or mg6 when they werefirst launched but those two models have grown on me a little. An mg6 isn't our first choice but for her 4k budget she gets a hell of a lot of car compared to any other alternative. We can get a 12 plate 50k miles or less model well within that budget including the top of the range model, which if i've read correctly was £21k new. Hence whu i say dont buy brand new.
Aren't most new cars just euroboxes now?

We've (the wife) has had her new ZS for just over 3 months now, and loves it. Whilst it's not big enough for me as a daily driver (need to be able to carry stuff as well as the dog - that's why I have the tourer lol), I do like driving it. It's a fun car and people do look as they aren't sure what it is (around here anyway).

As far as the price heading downwards once you've bought it.... don't all new cars do this? And honestly is it only a problem if you want to sell it? There are very few cars that you buy to make money on - well 'normal' cars anyway.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 17:05   #16
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

The current trend of small capacity turbo petrol engines doesn't really cut it for me. Quoting bhp figures may move them out of the showroom, especially as the diesel alternatives are either demonised or phased out, but in everyday use they dont measure up.
I recently had a Kuga 1.5 on hire, not a bad car but ruined by the gutless engine, also over a 1000 mile week it returned 36mpg ( not off the trip computer ). My 3.0 Touareg does 34 over the same round trip, and pulls like a train.
Has anyone driven a 1.0 Mondeo? I managed 80ish miles and took it back, we moved on from cars slowing down going uphill in the 70s.

Electric vehicles may not be there yet, but fitting a torqueless pipsqueak petrol turbo, with a powerband like a 2 stroke is too much like hard work.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:16   #17
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Default Result of my GS test drive

Tested the GS yesterday. Had top level for for the day. Most impressed with it actually. Strong acceleration, good handling (for an SUV) toys all worked well. Interior plastic critised in magazine reviews but it was pleasantly surprised and reckon the elec window switches are better quality than the ST line Ford Kuga I tested last week. Great value for money. Only downsides for me are 1) 3 way electric seats ok but could have better side support and I couldn't find a position that would provide under-thigh support which I value in my Rover.
I actually like the ZS styling better but that won't pull the caravan I recently bought go take wife and grand children on holiday. Guess I'll need to buy a 6 or wait for the HS in Autumn 2019.
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 22:01   #18
rob dean
Regular poster

xx

I really can't understand the appeal of these mediocre Chinese cars. I wouldn't be fooled by the once British badge - to me they are about as British as a glass of rice wine and are just ugly generic tin boxes that depreciate like a stone down a well. But then each to their own I suppose.
Old 26th August 2018, 22:33   #19
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob dean View Post
I really can't understand the appeal of these mediocre Chinese cars. I wouldn't be fooled by the once British badge - to me they are about as British as a glass of rice wine and are just ugly generic tin boxes that depreciate like a stone down a well. But then each to their own I suppose.
Exactly. It's a bit like when someone bought the name and badge for Jensen and produced a 2 seater that was nothing like the interceptor. It's not an MG and has nothing to do with the old company. I can't understand why people buy them if its just to think they are continuing the brand and being loyal to the British car industry because they're not. It's a budget Chinese car with an MG badge.stuck on it.
Old 26th August 2018, 23:43   #20
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
Aren't most new cars just euroboxes now?

We've (the wife) has had her new ZS for just over 3 months now, and loves it. Whilst it's not big enough for me as a daily driver (need to be able to carry stuff as well as the dog - that's why I have the tourer lol), I do like driving it. It's a fun car and people do look as they aren't sure what it is (around here anyway).

As far as the price heading downwards once you've bought it.... don't all new cars do this? And honestly is it only a problem if you want to sell it? There are very few cars that you buy to make money on - well 'normal' cars anyway.
Nope bmw,s mercs, jags, audi's not euroboxes. But the new MG's which were once cars which stood out are now just euroboxes.

The point is about how much the value drops compared to any other car in the same price bracket/market. Its nothing to do with making money on cars. Not only a problem when u want to sell. Leaves you stuffed if the car is written off and you don't have gap cover if you buy on finance. Finance will end up being more than the value of the car in that situation. Sane if you buy cash (worse case senario). Plus personally id feel silly burning money on a new one when you see how much cheaper it would have been if you'd waited for one thats a year or two old.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote