Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd February 2018, 11:52   #11
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Just swap the A pillar cover I would have thought
Throw-away society !!!

Old 12th August 2018, 20:12   #12
bartgib

Rover 75 saloon

I have the same problem with my Rover 75. Head and door panels are becoming unglued. I have put it down to being parked in the sun and the old glue drying out. Or it could be the humidity Gibraltar is both hot and 90% humidity at the moment.

Just a thought.
bartgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 20:17   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartgib View Post
I have the same problem with my Rover 75. Head and door panels are becoming unglued. I have put it down to being parked in the sun and the old glue drying out. Or it could be the humidity Gibraltar is both hot and 90% humidity at the moment.

Just a thought.
Its the humidity that does it.
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 21:13   #14
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Sagging headlinings aren't a common problem on these cars - has something caused it to go?

My old ZS had a bit of headlining droop (common problem on the HHR). I think the previous owner had used spray glue to reattach - they didn't do the tidiest job but it did the trick!
Headlining sagging is becoming a problem with these cars and quite a few members have had the issue. The fosm behind the material breaks down causing the material to sag.

2 options I have seen

1. Replace the headlining biscuit with a replacement/new
2. Get some material from woollies and lay up a new covering. Not sure what the colour matches are like?

Defo becoming a R75/ZT issue

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 13:22   #15
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

I'm glad that you brought this up. The headlining on my tourer has started to go above both rear side windows in the luggage section.
I've spoken to my trimming guy and he says 'new headlining'. Much as I love my car I can't go to that sort of expense at the moment.
My worry is the same as OP - will it bleed through?
I've scoured google, flea bay and Amazon and can't find a product I believe in.
Anyone got anything that they can recommend?
Cheers

Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 18:23   #16
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagorum View Post
I'm glad that you brought this up. The headlining on my tourer has started to go above both rear side windows in the luggage section.
I've spoken to my trimming guy and he says 'new headlining'. Much as I love my car I can't go to that sort of expense at the moment.
Cheers

Geoff
I've just bought this, haven't used it yet so can't vouch that its any good, but it sounds like its the right stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trim-fix-...r=552289080103
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 12:36   #17
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

The fabric on the back of my passenger seat has now completely come adrift as the foam/glue behind the fabric has failed. The driver's side is just starting to peel. The car is 18 years old. It's a concern that this will become more common and difficult to remedy as the cars get older. I have tried to glue mine with fabric glue but the remnants of the old glue (which is impossible to remove) are preventing it (I assume) from sticking. The foam/glue is bright orange which in a sandstone car looks ridiculous. Plus the old glue is so sticky on the seat back (ironically) that no-one can sit in the back on that side anymore.

Steve.

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 13:11   #18
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I have had this problem in the past with a Volvo 740 estate headlining and now have it on my Tourer and wife's SLK headlinings , both 2002 vintage. Took SLK around to classic car restorers and they said no point trying to re-glue back to the foam as its broken down due to the heat/age. They recommend removing headlining shell, taking old cloth off, scraping/brushing the remaining foam off of the shell, sealing shell with PVA and then using high temp resistant spray adhesive to stick on a new headlining. Just trying the theory out on the SLK as its easy with only 9 screws to take headlining out. The right material is very reasonable to buy on ebay but of course will likely not exactly match door cards etc. If all goes well I may bite the bullet and have a go at the Tourer but without a garage, and it being a much bigger job, I will not be attempting in the near future.
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 01:05   #19
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagorum View Post
Cheers

Geoff
Hi Geoff, in the end, I used some ordinary spray contact adhesive, Evo Stik, sprayed it on the shell of the pillar, making sure it didn't go on the fabric. Waited until it had almost dried completely and stretched the fabric onto it. No bleed through and it has stayed stuck
Old 15th August 2018, 08:25   #20
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I’ve replaced the headlining material on my SD1 Vitesse and more recently the roof trim and door cards on my 75.

It’s the foam on the material which degrades with age and under certain conditions like excess heat.

I had some difficulty in getting a perfect match on material for my 75 but finally found one, sorry I don’t have a note of the company at the moment.

After removing the headliner from the car it’s relatively easy to stick the new cloth on using the proper spray adhesive supplied from the same company.

You can use a cut off piece for practise first.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote