Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2009, 11:57   #111
quinlan

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Would it be possible to switch sensor inputs?

Hi Hans,

Having read this thread I started thinking about the ambient air temperature readout on instrument panel and thought to myself...am I at all interested in knowing the outside air temp? I decided that I wasn't too bothered about it but would be much more interested if it gave me the coolant temp rather than air temp. Not being at all technically minded I asked T-cut about the possibility of switching the inputs of both sensors to the ECU. He suggested I ask you about this because you obviously have an expertise in this area. I was thinking that perhaps the ECU takes the temp it receives from the sensor and than converts it to a digital stream for the instrument panel digital readout, if we fed it the temp from the coolant sensor having swapped the wire in with that of the ambient air temp, would it then send that temp (coolant Temp) to the air temperature readout on the instrument panel?
Someone has probably suggested this before. It all sounds far too easy so I am sure you can give me at least 10 good reasons why my idea is unworkable and nonsensical.
By the way, now that I have found out about the trip reset access to diagnostics, I have been monitoring by coolant temps over the last few days and include the temps here for other members info and would also value your opinion on whether they seem a little low. I have a 1.8 petrol 75. First registered on 4th Jan 2002. On starting the car it rises steadily to around 89 degrees. At 70mph on motorway it seems to go no higher than 91 or 92. It will only rise a little further to about 94 when I am idling at traffic lights. Haven't been stuck in any traffic jams yet so I am not sure how high it would go then.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:51   #112
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

My temperature tends to rise to around 84 degrees at 70 mph motorway speeds but has gone to around 88 degrees but never any higher, though I believe there maybe a thermostat issue here, despite a coolish engine the fuel consumption seems fine at around 36mpg (1.8T).

I'm hoping to get Lates to service the car later in the year & will see what they advise then.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:14   #113
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
My temperature tends to rise to around 84 degrees at 70 mph motorway speeds but has gone to around 88 degrees but never any higher, though I believe there maybe a thermostat issue here, despite a coolish engine the fuel consumption seems fine at around 36mpg (1.8T).
I think with those readings I'd be inclined to replace the PRT. They aren't really low, but they aren't high enough IMO.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 20:32   #114
magranville
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8t Contemporary SE

Being a fellow 1.8 owner (turbo) and an avid temperature monitor, my temperature ranges are as follows:

Driving around town = 95 - 102
Motor way = 92 - 96
Stationary = up to 103/4 before fan kicked in

My temperature has never been higher than 103/4 to date (touch wood etc etc). Does this seem about right?

Marcus
magranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 21:44   #115
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magranville View Post
Does this seem about right?
Almost exactly my findings. High speed cooling kicks in at 107C and off at about 97C.

TC
Old 28th September 2009, 10:44   #116
slimsi
Loves to post

2005 Ignition Blue ZT 190 +

I have now had my temp gauge a few weeks and I have some interesting findings, basically when I am on the motorway with the AC on or off the temp is always between 80-90c.

What interests me though is that when in stop start traffic like the queue for the blackwall tunnel with the AC on it will rise to 90 but no further, with the AC off it will raise to 104ish and then drop back into the 90's.

My presumption is that with the AC on the fan runs constantly and keeps the temp down? Anyone else see this?

Simon

Last edited by slimsi; 28th September 2009 at 10:46..
slimsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 11:03   #117
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

I run the AC all the time on Auto and the gauge generally reads 84 to 87 on a motorway run, like you it has not gone over 90 with the AC running and when stationary. I did leave the engine running outside the house no AC on and it rose to around 102 (ish) when the fan kicked in and it dropped back.

However some previous posts I have read their temps seem to run a lot higher 95 to 109 (but whether that is with AC on I'm unsure).

I was concerned the engine was perhaps running too cold and not efficient, but I get around 36 - 38 MPG as a rule so that seems fine.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 16:33   #118
Steffan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Conn

Interested to read about the effect of the A/C on the temperature. I had an appalling 1.5 hour journey around the South Circular yesterday, mostly at walking pace. Being generally paranoid about the coolant temperature, I kept the A/C on, reasoning that this would keep the fan on constant and the temperature down. I was frozen (in shorts and t-shirt) but the car was fine!
Steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 17:55   #119
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

You don't have to freeze! The cooling system will start the fan as and when necessary. Even in a 1.8, there's no need to panic if the coolant level is OK and the fan and pressure cap are functional. In the V6, there's even more legroom (if you see what I mean).

TC
Old 28th September 2009, 18:24   #120
Steffan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Conn

I'm on the 3 speed fan - working last time I checked but with a packet of new motor brushes awaiting fitting!
Steffan is offline   Reply With Quote