Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2018, 11:45   #21
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
An automatic diesel driven conservatively will achieve between 40 and 44 mpg, and a manual between 42 and 48 mpg.

The most you can reasonably expect to achieve is low to mid 50s and that is a manual car cruise enabled, driven at 60MPH without traffic, and automatics driven with the same conditions 46mpg at a push.

Anyway if you want to make yourself feel good about fuel consumption, reset the MPG meter while travelling downhill and tickle the throttle, you might see an impressive figure then.

60 MPG may be seen as an instantaneous figure, but it is not a realistic one

Brian

Broadly i would agree.. Certainly on average i think i get mid 40's but on the occasion i did do a brim to brim check she gave a couple more mpg at 57 but as stated that was mostly motorway and good A roads in the evening so not too much traffic once out of Manchester. I don't have an instantaneous display being a poverty spec car but i do check from time to time if i'm doing a longer run just working out the figures.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 13:01   #22
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Broadly I always agree with Brian on issues relating to Rover 75s - however in this case I'll agree to differ.

The automatic cars are significantly less economical than my manual one, but having said that, in day-to-day driving, if I pay no attention to how I drive and also do plenty of stopping and starting then I get about 43 to 47 MPG. It's only when the conditions allow me to drive in a very fuel-conservative way that I can get figures exceeding 60 MPG. The best way of conserving fuel is not to use the brakes unless you have to. If conditions allow then coast on the over-run for as long as possible before coming to a halt and watch the MPG increase as you get several hundred yards of distance without burning any additional fuel. Oh, and check your tyre pressures, too!

My previous best (calculated using distance traveled on the odometer and fuel added to a previously brimmed tank) came in at around 55 MPG where the car had indicated (IIRC) 57.6, so I reckon from that margin of error an indicated 60.1 must be around 58 MPG.

The only other place where error in calculation can set in is if the car's odometer is over-reading. That is, of course, a possibility which I can test, using Sat Nav on a flat road.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 13:52   #23
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

To be fair I have only ever checked the fuel consumption once. I had a 370 mile round trip to Glostershire to pick up a front bumper from another member. I filled up until the pump clicked off at my local garage, set off to the motorway which is only a couple of miles from my house. Just about all of the trip was on a flat motorway with very little traffic. I set the cruise to 70 and just let it do its thing. As soon as I returned home in mid-afternoon, I filled up at the same pump at the same garage. It equated to just about 60 MPG.

As I said, this was the only time I have ever checked it as basically I don't care what it does to the gallon. The opportunity just presented itself.

I don't know what others do to the gallon, I just know that on that day, with the milage that my odometer clocked, and the fuel it used equated to 60 MPG. Bear in mind, it was not a very scientific test

Perhaps mine is a rather special one lol, or Big Russ did a particularly good job of the 160 remap on my car, who knows!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 14:13   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Brian. Why do you think it is cloud cuckoo land by saying 60 mpg is not possible. (By inference). Some diesel 75’s perhaps are driven more gently than others. I have just done a top up at ASDA with diesel at £1.257p per litre. I also added a full proper measurement of Redex injector cleaner. I had done,from brim full to brim full,exactly 400.1 miles.These are all local miles, between 1 mile and 3.5 miles in length.In other words I am an idle so and so. I put 46 litres in to brim the tank. This works out at 39.53 mpg. I can have a look in my computer records for the car, and when we have gone to Germany, around 500 miles there, the mpg has worked out to anywhere between 49.9 mpg to around 54/55 mpg. This is 4 up cruising between 70/90 mph mostly around the 80 mph mark. 4 large people, sorry girls, and a full boot,oh yea girls. I do not doubt that 60 mpg is possible at around 60 mph, but how boring. I might try it one day,so long as I don’t fall asleep...
Old 10th December 2018, 14:17   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

My manual cdti ZTT does a consistent 47 in the summer months and about 44 mpg in the winter months.

I don’t drive it to achieve higher mpg - I drive it to get where I am going. In particular I hang back from idiot drivers then power past them. Here the power delivery from 45mph to 70mph (‘ish - ��) is awesomely addictive.

I have no doubt if driven with economy in mind higher fifties could be easily achieved- but with my mix of motorway and country roads what I get I am well pleased with.

I did easily achieve over 50mpg when fill-ups coincided with mainly motorway driving - and to me - for such a substantial vehicle - that was really an amazing result.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 14:19   #26
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

A couple of years ago I was driving home from Stafford through those 'naughty word' 50 mph roadworks on the M6 in my old diesel tourer and because I was bored I reset the mpg reading. For the entirety of the roadworks I got just over 50mpg.... driving at a steady 50mph..... life is just too short

By the time I got home it was down to 43, two days later it was back to the usual 36.

I now drive a 2.0 petrol car that does nearly the same, I miss the torque a bit but when unleaded is 10p cheaper I can live with it
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 15:03   #27
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

As I posted many moons ago, i got the exact handbook mpg figure after covering 30000 mls ... 48.7 mpg.
Day to day driving, few motorways , mostly A roads and cart tracks, shopping etc .
Manual, no cruise , just me right foot.

Omega .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 17:03   #28
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Huh all this mpg malarky. My Focus does a healthy 18 around town and 34 on a run. Sounds similar as my ZT 190 did similar albeit 100 bhp less.

Ive got to admit 60 mpg looks to be over optimistic but maybe a few of the moon club members could give their findings? They should have a general consensus.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 17:36   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
As I posted many moons ago, i got the exact handbook mpg figure after covering 30000 mls ... 48.7 mpg.
Day to day driving, few motorways , mostly A roads and cart tracks, shopping etc .
Manual, no cruise , just me right foot.

Omega .
That is what is called’average mileage’. We are talking about what you ‘can get’ from the diesel engined Rover/MG 75. Average is over a longer period of time.
Old 10th December 2018, 18:24   #30
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Its a true figure, for average use .
You can get much better figures ,for smaller distances , depending on when you push the button . Ive seen over 100 mpg indicated ,for the first few yards, but that changes over distance.
So just what are we discussing here , max indicated mpg , or true mpg that an average owner can expect ?
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote