Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th December 2018, 09:16   #1
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Default Headlight bulb upgrade

Can any member recommend an LED bulb to replace both my inner sidelights and the Dipped/Main beam?
I use my car quite a lot on these Dark Mornings/evenings and find the light output somewhat lacking, the sidelights are more like candles on these cars, my car is a facelift and I am looking for a quality bulb(s) that will work with the Cambus.

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.

Last edited by Busboy; 6th December 2018 at 11:44..
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 05:21   #2
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
Can any member recommend an LED bulb to replace both my inner sidelights and the Dipped/Main beam?
I use my car quite a lot on these Dark Mornings/evenings and find the light output somewhat lacking, the sidelights are more like candles on these cars, my car is a facelift and I am looking for a quality bulb(s) that will work with the Cambus.
All the LEDs I bought online kept blowing so I bought 60 lumen 501 from Halfords for £10, they aren’t canbus friendly but they sell a resistor kit for them too which was another £8. Expensive route yes but they’ve been in the car over two years now and I tend to have them on as DRLs, they are bright like.
You can fit 477 H7 HID bulbs but I have no experience of them
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 05:46   #3
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

One of the first things I did earlier this year when I got my Tourer was to fit these LED canbus error free bulbs. Been well happy with them,much whiter,brighter light than the factory fitted bulbs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-LED...qFi7:rk:1:pf:0

Upgraded my front fogs and main beam bulbs with other bulbs from same seller so all front bulbs on the Tourer are now a similar white light to the Xenons
(other bulbs I used weren't LED's though)
Paul
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 06:40   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Be very careful with fitting LED to main beams, they can be brighter but some don't have the length of beam especially if fitting them into lenses and reflectors designed for conventional bulbs.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:05   #5
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Hi Bullnose 75

So to re-cap the bulbs you have used that you posted the link for you fitted to your inner sidelights, my car is facelift (and I suspect the pre facelift is the same) and these produce the white light, and you bought other bulbs from the same seller, ( dipped, mains and fogs and these also produce the white light)?

And the other lights on the car, presumably indicators, stop/tail and rear fog / reversing are standard bulbs?

Please could you confirm

Thanks very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
One of the first things I did earlier this year when I got my Tourer was to fit these LED canbus error free bulbs. Been well happy with them,much whiter,brighter light than the factory fitted bulbs

Upgraded my front fogs and main beam bulbs with other bulbs from same seller so all front bulbs on the Tourer are now a similar white light to the Xenons
Paul
Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:23   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Keith, all the bulbs are standard halogen, front & rear. You can fit leds in the front fogs, side repeaters, reverse lights, without the need for being canbus friendly. All others need a resistor or canbus friendly bulbs.
Here's mine, 6000K xenons with led sidelights
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 10:11   #7
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:

Paul
Looked at those too, only thing that confused me was the add ... bright white light.. using xenon gas for a different driving experience??
Xenon gas is used solely in filament bulbs due to their design in only being able to burn gas. Smd / Led and filament are two completely different animals.
But ... as you have been using them for a while now with no ill effects, I guess it was just a typo from the advertising dept:
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 16:46   #8
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
Hi Bullnose 75

So to re-cap the bulbs you have used that you posted the link for you fitted to your inner sidelights, my car is facelift (and I suspect the pre facelift is the same) and these produce the white light, and you bought other bulbs from the same seller, ( dipped, mains and fogs and these also produce the white light)?

And the other lights on the car, presumably indicators, stop/tail and rear fog / reversing are standard bulbs?

Please could you confirm

Thanks very much.

Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk
Yep,LED sidelight bulbs fitted to the inner headlight units.
Have factory fitted Xenon dipped headlights on my 03 Tourer which are a white light and the reason I changed the other bulbs as when I got car the Main beams,fogs and sidelights were all a more yellow colour compared to the Xenon dipped beams.
Fitted the Ultra Xenon power bulbs off ebay into my mains and front fogs.
Fitted the LED sidelights and main beam bulbs back in April and the front fog bulbs in September.All still working and all front lights a similar white colour now.
Front indicators are now switchback LED DRL's (daytime driving lights) again off ebay and rear indicator bulbs are these amber glass ones that replaced the clear glass ones in car that had an amber coating on them that had started to wear off so they started looking a bit too white for indicators. Amber glass ones will stay same colour for life of the bulbs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BAU15S...72.m2749.l2649
Old 7th December 2018, 16:52   #9
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Yep,LED sidelight bulbs fitted to the inner headlight units.
Have factory fitted Xenon dipped headlights on my 03 Tourer which are a white light and the reason I changed the other bulbs as when I got car the Main beams,fogs and sidelights were all a more yellow colour compared to the Xenon dipped beams.
Fitted the Ultra Xenon power bulbs off ebay into my mains and front fogs.
Fitted the LED sidelights and main beam bulbs back in April and the front fog bulbs in September.All still working and all front lights a similar white colour now.
Front indicators are now switchback LED DRL's (daytime driving lights) again off ebay and rear indicator bulbs are these amber glass ones that replaced the clear glass ones in car that had an amber coating on them that had started to wear off so they started looking a bit too white for indicators. Amber glass ones will stay same colour for life of the bulbs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BAU15S...72.m2749.l2649
Hi do you have a link to the switchback led's? And we're they simply plug and play been looking at a few on the bay but wasn't sure how the wired in

Cheers Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 21:02   #10
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Hi do you have a link to the switchback led's? And we're they simply plug and play been looking at a few on the bay but wasn't sure how the wired in

Cheers Scott
I used these switchback DRL's mate. Am well happy with them so far. I cut and lengthened the wiring (soldered and heat shrink tubing) between the LED's and their gold resistors so I could fix the resistors more securely to metal framework of the Rover and not leave them dangling about in mid air.
Then wired the DRL's up via a five pole changeover relay so that they are on whenever ignition is in the run position (ignition feed to relay from fusebox in car behind glovebox) Then spliced a wire into sidelight wiring to run to relay to trip relay and turn off DRL's whenever sidelights come on. Think I wired the relay 85 to Earth. 30 to Ignition live. 87a to DRL's. So DRL's are on whenever ignition is on/engine running.
And 86 to sidelight feed to trip relay and turn DRL's off whenever sidelights or sidelights and headlights are on.
Paul
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-PY21W-...72.m2749.l2649