Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2018, 13:04   #21
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack, but... should I/is it even possible on my TF?
Hi,

Follow this link on e-BAY - Bizzie Lizzie aka Jack manufactures digital temp gauges for 75's/ZT's which beside a visual real time temp also alarms at 110 and 115 - he is very helpful and am sure will be able to advise re your TF.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Button-Di...CL7:rk:10:pf:0

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 11:38   #22
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

Frustratingly the IMG gasket I ordered a week last Friday hasn’t arrived so it looks like a delay till next weekend to get thermostat and IMG sorted in one go. Let’s hope it doesn’t rain too much next week on the bike!

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2018, 19:30   #23
Steve1966
Loves to post

In case Matt from DMGRS reads this could you please reply to my email query regarding my IMG order from the 23rd Nov, order #25247. Thanks.

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Old 4th December 2018, 20:20   #24
Steve1966
Loves to post

Still not received my IMG after almost 2 weeks and no communication from the seller so can someone tell me if there is a physical location I can go to near Coventry/Nuneaton that can sell me one? After a ride to work in freezing conditions this morning I’m about sick of the online delivery lottery and need to get my car back on the road this weekend. Many thanks.

Old 4th December 2018, 21:06   #25
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

You can get them from rimmers, about £3 more expensive but two or three days max for delivery. In fact you can pay for next day but it's expensive. I've had my v6 in bits and needed to order an oil pump gasket and another img because I only ordered one img from dmgrs so just got both from rimmers. I always order a good week in advance when buying from dmgrs, other places can have them at your door a lot quicker.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 15:34   #26
Steve1966
Loves to post

Apologies, this will no doubt become a long post...just changed thermostat and IMG. Car behaved much as before with rad remaining cold as temps rose past 110C. Decided to double check rad was clear so flushed and back flushed even though I’d done it a couple of months ago. Filled and bled again. Temp rose to north of 105C so left engine running and checked rad and bottom hose. Both cold. I remembered that when squeezing the top hose during bleeding that it had a longitudinal fault in it. I wondered if this could have collapsed internally and caused a blockage so I felt it and it promptly split spraying coolant at 100C+ into my face. Thank god for wearing glasses. Once the 10 ft high geyser had desisted I then had the joy of a forced car wash to remove the coolant from the paintwork (which in today’s wind had covered most of the car). I removed the top hose but it was clear inside. So what’s left? Water pump? 7 hours and I’m in a worse position than when I started. Car looks lovely and clean though 😂

Old 8th December 2018, 15:56   #27
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Blimey Steve, you were lucky not to have suffered serious burns when the hose split. Are you sure you're ok?

If the bottom radiator hose is cold then there's still no flow through it which explains the high temperatures. Have you read MG Rover's refilling and bleeding procedure for the 1.8 engine? I seem to remember that there's a valve which should be checked.

Simon
Old 8th December 2018, 15:58   #28
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Steve,
If the rad is not getting hot, then that means that water is not circulating.
The only reasons for this that I can think of is a stuck thermostat (which you have already changed), an airlock (you say you have bled the system properly) or a defective waterpump.
If you haven't done so, it may be worth checking the water pump. It is very rare, but it is possible for the water pump to fail without leaking - the impeller stops rotating with the shaft.
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 16:14   #29
Steve1966
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Blimey Steve, you were lucky not to have suffered serious burns when the hose split. Are you sure you're ok?

If the bottom radiator hose is cold then there's still no flow through it which explains the high temperatures. Have you read MG Rover's refilling and bleeding procedure for the 1.8 engine? I seem to remember that there's a valve which should be checked.

Simon
I think the initial coolant that hit me was cooler than the main bulk as it was in the hose but not circulating. The split was about 15mm long. Once the hot coolant in the engine had somewhere to go the geyser grew and rose impressively. I’m reasonably confident about the bleeding as I’ve done it a number of times before. I’ll get a new hose, revisit the bleeding, then look into the water pump if no joy. I forgot to mention I did suffer burns today..when I squeezed one bank of the exhaust manifold instead of the hose next to it whilst distracted. I won’t do that again. Not been the best day and another week on the bike for work. Oh joy.

Old 8th December 2018, 16:35   #30
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Before stripping it down to the pump, check for the good old yardstick, cold pressurisation. I suggest you fit a new hose and refill/bleed as before. Then start the engine, organise a fast tickover and check for abnormal cooling system pressure while the engine's still warming up. I suggest this because your description of the hose burst sounds very dramatic for coolant at only 110C. That's little more than 15psi. It sounds over-pressurised, for after all the usual checks and tests, it's blown a hose. Exhaust gas pressurisation can explain all the observations and will need to be eliminated before the next move.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote