Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2018, 17:02   #21
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I'm finally getting there, a full set of dentures is on the cards it seems. Its been a long hard struggle this past year, or should I say past 10 years. I will be glad when its all over I can tell ya.

Good news, I am finally having the rest of my teeth extracted (a full clearance). I had the rest of my uppers extracted only 5 weeks ago, and today the hospital has agreed to extract the rest of my lowers.

I cant wait to get new teeth lol, but I reckon I will wait some weeks for all the swelling to subside and healing to take place before I opt for dentures.

Having no teeth certainly makes you look old though, but I don't care as being pain free is far more important.

So any denture buddies out there?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 17:42   #22
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I'm finally getting there, a full set of dentures is on the cards it seems. Its been a long hard struggle this past year, or should I say past 10 years. I will be glad when its all over I can tell ya.

Good news, I am finally having the rest of my teeth extracted (a full clearance). I had the rest of my uppers extracted only 5 weeks ago, and today the hospital has agreed to extract the rest of my lowers.

I cant wait to get new teeth lol, but I reckon I will wait some weeks for all the swelling to subside and healing to take place before I opt for dentures.

Having no teeth certainly makes you look old though, but I don't care as being pain free is far more important.

Glad your on the mend Wes.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 17:58   #23
Dallas
This is my second home

I blooming hope so Dave, thanks mate.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:06   #24
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Hopefully you will soon be pain free Dallas.

Having been an NHS dentist for nearly 40 years I must say your case sounds most unusual as there did not seem to be an obvious cause ......I'm sure dentists and maxfax will have done a full inspection involving all types of xrays, scans, pulp testing etc etc and so a normal cause was obviously not evident. It is also unusual in this day and age for the maxillo facial surgeons to be doing the clearance unless there is an underlying good reason. It sounds they were unsure what the cause is otherwise they would have recommended a total clearance in one go or attend to one tooth being the cause. It sounds like they did the upper first to remove any biting pressure and if that had done the trick would have left the lowers as the bottom denture is harder to adapt to as a general rule. ( and a top denture won't exert the same force as your own teeth) They would normally look to leave something ( tooth or even a root) especially in the lower to help the stability of the lower dentures when you eventually try them.........unless you are going to go down the implant root? ( pardon the pun lol)

The bone will re model for up to 6 months so any dentures you have made in that time may need constant remodelling and adjustment. The final result will partially depend on how much bone loss occurs after the teeth are removed. I know you have worn partials but they get nearly all their support from your own teeth so once they have gone it is all down to your own muscular control, type of saliva, perseverance etc etc. The upper full is normally the easier to get on with as you get good suction as the plate covers the palate. The lower only has a smaller area to sit between the cheeks and the tongue and much depends on muscular control.

Incidentally dentists do get a good ideas when a tooth is dying by various diagnostic tools and appropriate questions and I never intentially left a patient in pain for weeks because I didn't realise a tooth was dying.

As you have found out patients are all different and present with different scenarios but hopefully now the end of the pain is in sight which is of prime importance and the primary target.

Good luck

PS.......which oral surgery unit do you attend as I worked in your area for almost 20 years and knew some well?

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 10th December 2018 at 19:47..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 19:54   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

Hi Wes, I have a mix of semi permanent dentures, an implant, crowns, a bridge and part of my lower jaw has a synthetic bone implant. I won’t go into any gory details. Our resident dentist is here and how lucky we are to have him, we really are.... Psychologically, it is going to be a major change for you from what you have been used to. Just give yourself time to adapt to your new teeth and looks. If you find they are too tight or loose, pop back to the dentist and have them readjusted. Ultimately, only you will know they are dentures. Enjoy.

I know a couple of the other members who have dentures, only because one guy told me about them, when I needed to see his dentist in Yorkshire. Another took his dentures out in a cafe in front of me, so he could tuck into his meat and 2 veg and not worry about getting the green bits left in afterwards.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 21:10   #26
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenhibby View Post
Hopefully you will soon be pain free Dallas.

Having been an NHS dentist for nearly 40 years I must say your case sounds most unusual as there did not seem to be an obvious cause ......I'm sure dentists and maxfax will have done a full inspection involving all types of xrays, pulp testing etc etc and so a normal cause was obviously not evident. It is also unusual in this day and age for the maxillo facial surgeons to be doing the clearance unless there is an underlying good reason. It sounds they were unsure what the cause is otherwise they would have recommended a total clearance in one go. It sounds like they did the upper first to remove any biting pressure and if that had done the trick would have left the lowers as the bottom denture is harder to adapt to as a general rule. They would normally look to leave something ( tooth or even a root) especially in the lower to help the stability of the lower dentures when you eventually try them.........unless you are going to go down the implant root? ( pardon the pun lol)

The bone will re model for up to 6 months so any dentures you have made in that time may need constant remodelling and adjustment. The final result will depend on how much bone loss occurs after the teeth are removed. I know you have worn partials but they get nearly all their support from your own teeth so once they have gone it is all down to your own muscular control, type of saliva, perseverance etc etc. The upper full is normally the easier to go with as you get good suction as the plate covers the palate. The lower only has a smaller area to sit between the cheeks and the tongue and much depends on muscular control.

Incidentally dentists do get a good ideas when a tooth is dying by various diagnostic tools and appropriate questions and I never intentially left a patient in pain for weeks because I didn't realise a tooth was dying.

As you have found out patients are all different and present with different scenarios but hopefully now the end of the pain is in sight which is of prime importance and the primary target.

Good luck.
Thank you Ashley, and you are quite right in what you say. I have had several tests over the years including CT and MRI's scans, thankfully all came back ok.

My problem is hereditary, my mother and father, grandmother and grandfather all lost their teeth in their 40's, the problem seems to be big overcrowded teeth in small area, this contributed to brushing problems, which contributed to decay, then fillings and then root canals. The RC's would eventfully fail which then meant extractions one by one over the years, this has been going on since my early teens.

When I reached 30 I got fed up of trying to save my teeth, so I opted for extractions instead. So all that dental work I had is now gone, my reaming teeth are now in low bone and some teeth have become mobile.

Once I started wearing partial dentures, this then just added to the problem of causing pain in my reaming real teeth. I found my denture teeth would clash my real teeth, also put stress/pressure on my real teeth which would make them become mobile. I agree about partial dentures fitting better when you have some real teeth remaining as the denture can lock inplace around your real teeth, but those real teeth are just sitting on borrowed time. The reaming teeth do get a lot of stress from the denture, and overtime I have found these teeth then become troublesome.

Having a full clearance is to stop all these problems I guest, I want to be able to talk, eat and do everyday tasks without pain, without the fear of my teeth constantly clashing and hurting. Maxfax has said its my choice at the end of the day, I cant imagine it being any worst than it is now.

I know its going to be a big change going from partials to full dentures, the problem I have at the moment is, I cant wear my upper temp denture at the moment as the bone where my canines were is huge. The swelling has gone down, but still the bone is big and bulgy where the roots were which makes my denture not fit... I don't suppose you have any pointers do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Wes, I have a mix of semi permanent dentures, an implant, crowns, a bridge and part of my lower jaw has a synthetic bone implant. I won’t go into any gory details. Our resident dentist is here and how lucky we are to have him, we really are.... Psychologically, it is going to be a major change for you from what you have been used to. Just give yourself time to adapt to your new teeth and looks. If you find they are too tight or loose, pop back to the dentist and have them readjusted. Ultimately, only you will know they are dentures. Enjoy.

I know a couple of the other members who have dentures, only because one guy told me about them, when I needed to see his dentist in Yorkshire. Another took his dentures out in a cafe in front of me, so he could tuck into his meat and 2 veg and not worry about getting the green bits left in afterwards.
Thanks Phil, You will have to tell me your story some day, you can hear more of mine. lol

Its certainly been hard Phil, coping with pain for so many years and now coming to terms of having no teeth has been difficult. I'm in my late 40's and somewhat of a show-off, my looks are/have already changed some. I will find it hard, but stopping all this pain and discomfort is the goal to a happier pain free life.

I'm not sure if I will go straight to temps as my current upper temp is way to big already. I may wait 6-8 weeks or so and then get measured for a new full upper and lower temp denture, better chance of them fitting. So I may be walking the streets for awhile with no teeth looking old, oh! and a soft food diet, that's the pits.

Last edited by Dallas; 10th December 2018 at 21:17..
Old 10th December 2018, 21:44   #27
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

The bone will be shrinking back as I say for 6 months or so and so the bone around the canine region will also remodel in time. You are correct in that often the bone in this region can often be bulky to start as often there is less bone recession here around your natural teeth prior to extractions. I often used to cut the flange back in this area all the way. Any denture made before this will need adjustments all dependant on how fast recession takes place.

If this temp denture was fitted after the extraction ( an immediate) but made before, then the technician has had to estimate where the bone would be following extraction so often the fit may not be quite right. You need to return for a dentist to adjust the plate which may be to remove some acrylic and ease it in this area or even to put on some temporary cushion type linings ( eg viscogel) in order to relieve the pressure on the canine area. These can also be used to pack out the temp when it is too big.

It used to be standard practice a few years ago to have the extractions and then wait 6 months before trying dentures.

If you get an appointment for an adjustment try to wear the plate for an hour or two so the gum will just start to redden and then the dentist can line up where he needs to adjust.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 10th December 2018 at 22:09..
Old 10th December 2018, 22:11   #28
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
The bone will be shrinking back as I say for 6 months or so and so the bone around the canine region will also remodel in time. You are correct in that often the bone in this region can often be bulky to start as often there is less bone recession here around your natural teeth prior to extractions.

If this temp denture was fitted after the extraction ( an immediate) but made before then the technician has had to estimate where the bone would be following extraction so often the fit may not be quite right. You need to return for a dentist to adjust the plate which may be to remove some acrylic and ease it in this area or even to put on some temporary cushion type linings ( eg viscogel) in order to relieve the pressure on the canine area.

If you get an appointment for an adjustment try to wear the plate for an hour or two so the gum will just start to redden and then the dentist can line up where he needs to adjust.
I think my so called new good dentist isn't so good after all. She said to come back in 2/3 months for a reline, even though I left her office with a loose fitting denture that looked like a gumshield. I had the impression done on the day of the extractions, it was meant to be an immediate denture, but the lab took 4 weeks to make it.

The two upper canine areas the gum is large and rounded, the denture falls upon and rubs these two areas. I had huge white blisters after just half a day wearing the denture, I haven't worn it since. The denture is so thick and wide, I would imagine the width has something to do with the large canine bulges. I thought the lab or dentist would have grooved out the sides of the denture just where the bulges are, this would then allow the denture to be slimmer and fit around the canine bulgy bits.

I was going to make another appointment and go back, but I wanted to wait for the results from Maxillofaical first. I will most probably pop back to the dentist at some point once I get the extraction date from maxfax for the lowers and then let my dentist know. I thought it would be better to get measured for a new temporary upper and lower at the same time, as my current temporary upper (the big ill fitiing one) was made to match my lower remaining teeth.

Am I right in thinking my dentist can make me a new temporary upper and lower at the same time, and it will only be one NHS charge on band C, even though I had a new upper just 5 weeks ago when I had my remaining lower teeth.

I was told, because I'm now having my remaining lower teeth out, that my dentist would need to setup a new treatment plan which would mean I could get a new upper made at the the same time as the lower denture, does that sound correct to you?

Last edited by Dallas; 10th December 2018 at 22:17..
Old 10th December 2018, 22:24   #29
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

Your dentist will be able to set up a new upper and lower once the lower extractions have taken place. This may be beneficial as the technician won't be guided by your own teeth which often aren't in the ideal place for denture positioning. As I said muscle action comes into play when it comes to full dentures and they have to sit in a "neutral zone" to be stable which often isn't the case when copying your old teeth position.....nobodys fault just the way it is.

I'm not really surprised that you are having problems with the first temporary if it was 4 weeks after extraction ( or did you go back for 2 or 3 other visits once the extractions had occurred ?? in which case a second impression can be taken just prior to fit ) ..........by this time a certain amount of remodelling would have taken place and as I said the technician has to estimate where the bone will end up. Normally in this type of case I would fit the denture at the time of the extractions which also helps with the clotting .

It is usual to see after 2 to 3 months for a reline, however this would be a hard acrylic reline, but there are temporary cushion ones that can be applied if the remodelling is taking place faster or in an uneven manner. Dentures often feel "big" and this is part and parcel of getting used to a full denture. When the rubbing has gone this is where perseverance comes in.

When you go back for the full upper and lower it would indeed open up another band C treatment and associated cost.

As I said the "blisters" that began to form are probably easily sorted by an ease and as I said wear the plate for an hour or so and the dentist will be able to see exactly where to take off the acylic as the gum will just start to mark up.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 10th December 2018 at 22:53..
Old 10th December 2018, 22:57   #30
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Your dentist will be able to set up a new upper and lower once the lower extractions have taken place. This may be beneficial as the technician won't be guided by your own teeth which often aren't in the ideal place for denture positioning. As I said muscle action comes into play when it comes to full dentures and they have to sit in a "neutral zone" to be stable which often isn't the case when copying your old teeth position.....nobodys fault just the way it is.

I'm not really surprised that you are having problems with the first temporary if it was 4 weeks after extraction ( or did you go back for 2 or 3 other visits once the extractions had occurred ?? in which case a second impression can be taken just prior to fit ) ..........by this time a certain amount of remodelling would have taken place and as I said the technician has to estimate where the bone will end up. Normally I would fit the denture at the time of the extractions which also helps with the clotting .

It is usual to see after 2 to 3 months for a reline, however this would be a hard acrylic reline, but there are temporary cushion ones that can be applied if the remodelling is taking place faster or in an uneven manner. Dentures often feel "big" and this is part and parcel of getting used to a full denture. When the rubbing has gone this is where perseverance comes in.

When you go back for the full upper and lower it would indeed open up another band C treatment and associated cost.

As I said the "blisters" that began to form are probably easily sorted by an ease and as I said wear the plate for an hour or so and the dentist will be able to see exactly where to take off the acylic as the gum will just start to mark up.
Thank you for your help Ashley, so very much appreciated.

I had the impression done on day of extractions, then went back following week for wax try-in, then wax with teeth try-in, then they had to add some sort of reline due to it being so loose, and then the following week it was all finished. I thought it was a bit strange to make an immediate denture in this way, because I have been without it for the first 4 weeks, that defeats the whole point of an immediate denture I guess.

The dentist herself is very lovely, but I'm not convinced she can make dentures. She had to call in another dentist on two visits due to not knowing what to do, or how the system worked. I also had to ask my GP to refer me to maxillofacial/hospital as she said they are not allowed to refer to the hospital any more, I think she is misinformed, or needs more training.

I may have to ask to see one of the other dentists, or find yet another practice. I have found it near impossible to find a good dentist who knows what they are doing, not unless I pay big money and go private.

In the hospital today I felt in good hands, it was such a huge relief to be with someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited by Dallas; 10th December 2018 at 23:04..