Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th August 2018, 13:02   #21
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
You wicked man Jules. Might taste nice though. .
They taste a bit like rabbits
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 15:24   #22
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Jeremy - many thanks for your efforts with this, you deserve a round of applause for getting it this far.

Just a thought - would the supplier have an option for 304 grade? Even though it is more expensive, being the original quiet clamshell shape it would be desirable to some owners, and may be cheaper than the quiet 'chambered' back box that Longlife sells.

There might be demand for both materials - cheaper 409 that is still much better than aftermarket exhausts available, and a 'premium' 304 grade for truly 'fit and forget'.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 15:27   #23
Bolin
This is my second home

Another thought - I have the Longlife quiet chambered back box on my 2.5V6 manual, and it might be useful to it's compare tailpipe noise with the Roewe box to see which is quieter (Roewe box will be cheaper anyway).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 30th August 2018, 15:38   #24
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Another thought - I have the Longlife quiet chambered back box on my 2.5V6 manual, and it might be useful to it's compare tailpipe noise with the Roewe box to see which is quieter (Roewe box will be cheaper anyway).
Slight hi-jack, but how to you find the sound of the Longlife box when compared with OEM, and is it available from any branch?

Cheers,

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 15:54   #25
Bolin
This is my second home

Unfortunately I never had the OEM back box on my car so can't compare - perhaps noise readings could be taken during static tests and compared with another car with an OEM back box, or with the prototype unit Jeremy has for testing (perhaps using a smartphone app with a decibel meter?).

It is certainly a lot quieter than the Klarius and £32 eBay-jobs that I had fitted before, but then the first silencer was also failing.

I believe that is available from any branch, I would suggest Basingstoke to you (not Carlshalton/Wallington - sometime I'll post about my 'experience' there).
Old 30th August 2018, 16:04   #26
Teflon
This is my second home

Thanks for that, much appreciated . I'll let you all get back on topic now .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 30th August 2018, 16:45   #27
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

My 1.8 with a Longlife
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 21:48   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
Firstly I would like to thank Gary (Lovel) for doing an excellent earlier post on ZT rear boxes - see here:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...+steel+exhaust

After reading that, I got in touch with a Chinese manufacturer with a view to getting some Roewe back boxes made up with the correct tips for Rover 75's.

The first sample unit has now arrived, and I need a volunteer !

The sample has been produced in 409 Stainless Steel, which is a normal spec now for automotive exhaust systems. It has downward curved tips which should match the original Rover 75 versions of the back box. It is for

saloon models only.

Including freight, the sample has cost £185.00 to get to the UK.

Is there a member here who would like to buy the sample unit at the price shown, fit it to their car, and report back on fit, sound, performance etc?
If the findings prove OK, then I can import the boxes in lots of ten for a more reasonable price.

I don't have a saloon at the moment which needs an exhaust, so a willing volunteer is needed .

Shown below are photos of the sample:

The unit would be yours to keep once paid for. Please remember however that it is a SAMPLE, and fit and finish might not be up to the final standard.

You would also need to fit the unit fairly quickly so that we can get feedback to proceed to batch manufacture.

Any takers?
Well I finally got around to fitting this silencer to Mrs MB's car and here are some comparisons to note and all the cars tested are diesel models at idle 150mm from the exhaust tips, measured using Decibel X app for iPhone

Original exhaust with minor leak of exhaust gasses = 82dB

Trial exhaust after five days in use = 74 dB

ZT exhaust (Powerflow stainless) = 96 dB

Duotone exhaust (Longlife stainless) 92 dB

75 Tourer (cheap aftermarket system) 86 dB

In practice while driving it is almost impossible to differentiate between the sound levels of this replacement and the original system, so on that point alone it wins for me, and it considerably quieter than either the ZT or the Duotone.

Prior to fitting the exhaust, I checked it internally with a endoscope as I had concerns about internal construction as I was able to pass a tig welding rod from the inlet pipe straight through to the outlet pipe

It would appear that the methodology employed in the construction consists of three separate resonator chambers with large perforations, with a central chamber encompassing inlet and both outlets.

This silencer is almost identical in size to the original and is fitted using the original strap, however I suspect unlike the original is actually of single skin construction.

When it came to fitting the silencer, I had to fit a sleeve to the original pipework to allow for a snug fit into the swaged end of the new pipe, and found the supplied clamp which was welded to the pipe would not provide an even clamping load.

As I wished to replicate the original exhaust as closely as possible, I made the decision to weld the two sections together, so proceeded to tack the two sections together with the parts fitted on the car, then removed the entire exhaust, ground off the welds securing the clamp, then seam welded the assembly.

After refitting the system, I carefully checked for leaks and satisfied there were none, took the car for a quick test drive, and was very happy with the cabin sound levels.

In summing up, I would say that this is the closest you are ever likely to get to replicating the original system, and I am very happy with the finished result, I also had a comment from the MOT tester today, questioning where I had managed to obtain an original silencer from.

It should be pointed out that the car was tested by an MGR trained mechanic, in an Xpart service centre, which was a former Rover dealer, so no stranger to these cars.

Would I recommend the outlay on one of these based upon my findings? yes I would not hesitate to buy another.

I do think it would be prudent to supply these complete with a fitting strap, as the majority of owners will not have the original box fitted, or as in my case have to take a huge amount of care removing the fixings from the original.

I shall continue to monitor the performance and keep a check on the external condition in terms of corrosion resistance as time progresses, updating this thread where appropriate, and wish to thank Jeremy for his efforts in making this happen

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4033.jpg (124.3 KB, 415 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 22:04   #29
Teflon
This is my second home

Thanks for reporting back.

My rear silencer has been suffering corrosion of the outer skin for a few years now (so much so it's been an MOT advisory), though the inner skin is fine so it's still doing its job. In the absence of an OEM solution, I've been intending to fit a full stainless system, but have been holding off in the hope that something close to OEM becomes available. It sounds like this could be the answer .

Do you happen to know how this is likely to compare (sound wise) to the "quiet" solution offered by Longlife? I'm guessing it will possibly be better.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 25th October 2018, 22:15   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Thanks for reporting back.

My rear silencer has been suffering corrosion of the outer skin for a few years now (so much so it's been an MOT advisory), though the inner skin is fine so it's still doing its job. In the absence of an OEM solution, I've been intending to fit a full stainless system, but have been holding off in the hope that something close to OEM becomes available. It sounds like this could be the answer .

Do you happen to know how this is likely to compare (sound wise) to the "quiet" solution offered by Longlife? I'm guessing it will possibly be better.

Cliff
Cliff, my Duotone is actually fitted with a Longlife "quiet" system, so the comparison is there for you

For me what ruins the quality of the driving experience of these cars most are noisy exhaust systems, so much so that I spent around five hours carefully rebuilding the outer sarcophagus of the silencer of my first ZT many moons ago.

I have waited for a long time for something like this to come along, and I can confirm it was worth it

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote