Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th December 2018, 12:20   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Incompatible codes. Advice sought.

Bewildered! I should state that I am in Melbourne Australia, where technical knowledge can be wanting. An example - a dedicated owner replaced his worn handsets, but lost the transponders. The local country garages told him to scrap his car and get a replacement. Grh!

A local club member is looking after a nice 75 Tourer that is pleading to be saved - her master died and wolves were circling to scrap her.

The late owner was a very accomplished engineer, fitting and turning and all that. However, I think his knowledge about the modern cars advanced multiplex electronics was limited. And, I certainly do not claim being anywhere near 100% au fait with our fine cars.

Help now sought for the diagnostic problem.

I haven’t seen anything like this – 30 fault codes stored in eight ECUs.
They drove the car 80 kilometres to the members holding yard – so it is driveable.

Surprisingly, the Instrument Pack and the EWS3 (Immobiliser) showed compatible details for the ZCS coding i.e. GM, SA, and VN codes.
What I find unusual is the EMS200 ECU (Engine Control Module) records three strings of zeros for its GM, SA, and VN data.

How can the car function when its EMS2000 ECU in not compatible with the other main ECUs? And id devoid of any coding?

Apparently, at some time, the late owner installed some parts (including the engine) from a “parts car”.

My understanding is that a Testbook T4 session is required when installing a replacement EMS2000.
But, I seem to recall reading a long time ago that a “virginised” engine control module will adopt the VIN details etc from the cars EWS and other ECUs. Is this correct?

Can someone also please explain what the EWS fault reading “Engine Control Module random code “XOR error” means?

Regards,
egremont.

p.s. I have deleted the fault codes, and will revisit the car when time permits.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 15:48   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Reconfiguring the car with T4 will restore the missing ZCS coding from the ECM Bruce, either change one of the dealer options, or choose reconfigure ECU's from the vehicle configuration menu.

Once done, abort the diagnostic, and allow T4 to read the car once more, you will find the missing ZCS coding in the EMS2000 has reappeared

The fault code Random XOR error in the EWS isn't uncommon if any of the modules haven't been read correctly with T4, and can be safely ignored

The EMS 2000 is paired with the EWS, so unless you have VIN mismatches, it won't have been interfered with when the engine was changed.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 11:04   #3
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Thank you Brian

Thank you Brian for your comments. Always appreciated and respected.

Will be visiting the Tourer again when time permits - family sickness plus an aged War Widow (hold Power of Attorney) limits my time at present, and it is the so called "silly season".
This Saturday is our local Rover Car Club’s Presentation Night. Will be well supported and as usual will be held in the dining room of local golf club.- waiter service etc.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote