Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2011, 12:37   #1
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts
Default Discussion on Hid,s

In case anyone,s interested,tonight on BBC, s The one show,a discussion about hid & bi -xenon headlights.Pro,s & cons apparently
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 18:59   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

i watched the programme,interesting but no more information was given than we all ready know.

the legal side was mentioned headlight washers and self leveling sensors even the HID kits available.

nothing to do with future MOT's though..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 22:15   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
i watched the programme,interesting but no more information was given than we all ready know.

the legal side was mentioned headlight washers and self leveling sensors even the HID kits available.

nothing to do with future MOT's though..
dont know what you think but i think that HIDS are a danger to other road users. to bright and usually to high. terrible if youare approaching them on an uneven road. should be banned. i am over 70, and can still see at night withoutthse hideous lights. a mod for mod's sake.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:25   #4
geofftl1000r
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon in Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
dont know what you think but i think that HIDS are a danger to other road users. to bright and usually to high. terrible if youare approaching them on an uneven road. should be banned. i am over 70, and can still see at night withoutthse hideous lights. a mod for mod's sake.
My thoughts exactly...... if you are driving so fast in the dark that you need lights so bright and badly fitted they blind everyone... SLOW DOWN!!!

What's worse is this current trend has spread to motorcycles....

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left"
geofftl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 06:04   #5
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

OEM xenon discharge lamps are fine,i dare say that halogen projectors fitted with a HID kit are not a problem,the light is projected onto the road.

what we are finding today are boyracers that that are fitting 100w bulbs into reflector headlights,these bulbs are generally blue in colour and for show use only.

another example i have seen is a car with the back of the reflector cutaway to accept a prism to house the burners.the light was sprayed everywhere except on the road..that was dangerous.

mot testers will be looking for these modifications in the near future regarding these lamps.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 07:47   #6
Spanky
Gets stuck in

Other (Ex ZT owner)

Not being funny, but it always seems to be the "older" road users that have issues with HiDs. Yes I admit that when non reflector kits are fitted to reflectors then they do dazzle in some instances, but the right kit in the correct lights are fine, when adjusted correctly.

They are certainly not a mod for mods sake, they are to provide more light when night driving which they do to a massive extent, mine are adjusted right and pass MOT's no problem and do not dazzle - they are a big plus for me.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 08:50   #7
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
Yes I admit that when non reflector kits are fitted to reflectors then they do dazzle in some instances, but the right kit in the correct lights are fine, when adjusted correctly.
But that is exactly what is being fitted, Headlights designed for halogen bulbs fitted with HID bulbs. That is what us "older" drivers are moaning on about. I am 44 which is more middle aged than old I like to think!!

A projector headlight with a HID is not so much of a problem. But think why automatic level sensors and washers are fitted on new cars with Hids? It is because they dazzle if the car is loaded and if the front of the light is dirty!!!

It may not be illegal yet but drivers who fit HID`s without level sensors and washers are selfish and inconsiderate to other road users no matter how much they try and justify it.

I have also noticed that the cheap Chineese kits are much brighter than OEM Hid`s which makes the dazzle and scatter worse.

Ed.

Last edited by capese21; 21st April 2011 at 08:53..
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 08:59   #8
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Not being funny, but it always seems to be the "older" road users that have issues with HiDs. Yes I admit that when non reflector kits are fitted to reflectors then they do dazzle in some instances, but the right kit in the correct lights are fine, when adjusted correctly.

They are certainly not a mod for mods sake, they are to provide more light when night driving which they do to a massive extent, mine are adjusted right and pass MOT's no problem and do not dazzle - they are a big plus for me.
I am 77, No problems with HID lights. I had them fitted to my car, never had any adverse comments from other drivers. The main difference is they give light across the width of the road.
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 09:59   #9
Rovex
Regular poster

ZT-T+ CDTi

There should be a clear distinction between OE HID lights and the DIY kits. The cars with HID lights dazzling other drivers are boy racer types which have obviously been fitted with an aftermarket kit.

BTW even if it is older drivers who are suffering most from dazzle that still makes it a problem worth tackling. A large percentage of drivers fit into the "older" catagory. Are we saying they should get off the road because some drivers have cars with badly fitted lighting?

I hope to live long enough to become an older driver myself....
Rovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 11:31   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There was no mention of after market fitment of HIDs, where the bulk of the problems are caused. Talking to a motor manufacturing executive isn't going to add anything to the discussion. OEM HIDs are (usually) not a big issue. The article seems to have missed the point IMO.

Where we are in for a significant discussion, is the time when most cars on the road are fitted with high intensity DRLs. That (IMO) is going to be a really big issue.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote