Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2011, 19:46   #1
75tourer
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto

Default Do you remember the first time you saw a 75?

I remember it well- was at the 1999 open golf championship at Carnoustie. the car was mounted vertically about 10ft in the air on a fancy advertising unit. There was also one on the deck that folk could get a closer look at. At the time was very impressed but a big car and £20k price tag was way too steep. Never really thought about 75s after that until last year when I had some time to kill ,popped into a motor auction for a nosy not intending on buying anything- two hours later-the proud owner of a 75, 11 years after first seeing one!
75tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 20:12   #2
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I think the first time I saw one was in the launch advert with the liquid revealing the car - must have been 1999. Within a year I had decided that I would own one. Took 10 and a half years before I bought one though.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 20:51   #3
nick nick
Retired

R75 CDTI SE ( N80 UTD )

I was smitten with the 75 from the day it was launched but knew
i would never be able to afford one.....Luckily for me Rovers
fall from grace was my good fortune and managed to buy a connie se
for a fraction of its true value
nick nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 21:08   #4
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Mine was about 2005 when I got up close to a 75, I was looking for a second hand car and just popped my head in to a 75 and I literally said "Wow" was wood dash with cream interior in a royal blue colour, distinctly remember a wood steering wheel.

I was smitten, said to our lass, hey look at this, I love it, her response "Its a Rover and how old are you?" few arguments later, I bought a Renault Scenic!

I have never forgiven her.

These days we are in the main Rover'ish, I have the 75, she has a Freelander and eldest has a MG ZR, plus a KA that we dont talk about
Old 1st April 2011, 21:38   #5
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

Saw my first one in 1999, thought it was quite beautifull (being a Rover P6V8S driver since the early 70s)
Did not like the small rear window, compared to the P6s (higher too)
So went looking for a Tourer which suited my needs----she has never missed a beat!!
Martynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 21:55   #6
Rover Raver
Avid contributor

MG

I attended the launch of the 75 at the 1998 British Motor Show and sat in one of three examples Rover Cars had on its stand. I was initially in two minds over its styling, both inside and out as it was quite forward thinking, but at the same time heavily retro beyond that of the 600 Series. The Jaguar S-Type was, for me, visually more pleasing.

Fast forward to June 1999 and as I was driving home, a dealer demonstrator (from Staddons of Budleigh Salterton) finished in Wedgewood Blue came towards me, still wearing its 'Rover 75' showroom plates. Only then, having seen it in the 'real world' on the road without the superficial aids of dry ice and strategically placed spotlights, did I realise what a thoroughly beautiful car it was. I instantly preferred it to the S-Type with its 'pinched bottom' boot. Even now, I still admire a well kept example driven with dignity and care, especially those finished in Midnight Blue, Royal Blue or Atlantic Blue!

Rover Cars did a first rate job with the styling and also emphasising its quality feel. Just a shame that BMW torpedoed its launch at the British Motor Show, followed by doing a midnight flit within twelve months of it going on sale.

Last edited by Rover Raver; 1st April 2011 at 21:59..
Rover Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 22:00   #7
shrimper 1
Passed Away

2003 rover 75 cdti con se saloon

I first got a close look at the 75 back in march/april 2000 when my european sales manager got one as a company car, I loved it but having just got a 2.5 omega I was stuck with it. I did offer to swap and was told politely to p--- off. It took me 6 years and a change of job to get mine, and guess what if you offered me a swap you would get the same answer as i did.

Regards john.
shrimper 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 22:33   #8
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

TBH I hadn't really noticed them untill a aquatence of mine asked if I could start his battery up. He had a top speck 75 club with the cream seats. One owner from new. I took it out for a test drive but the steering wheel was pulling to the curb. He wanted 2k for it. To much from what I know now . Last winter he was hit in the snow which dented one side and wrote it off.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:45   #9
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

a friend of mine was a sales manager at the time these cars were launched, he invited me to the local dealership for a test drive..after driving the V6 and reporting back my findings to my father who was a proud owner of a 827SLi who the following day test drove the same car,we were smitten with the 75
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 22:51   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Can't say that I have ever really fancied a 75, or a Rover. I have only ever looked at one other Rover before the one I bought last year - that was an SD1 long ago and I just didn't like the test drive. I was very anti-BL products at the time, always very much a Ford fan, with brief excursions into SAAB and Toyota. My only previous personally owned BL car being an A40 rust bucket and a Marina company car, which at 40k drank oil.

My previous to the 75 Scorp was nearing its end of useful to me life and keeping it in fuel was becoming expensive so I started looking for something with comparable luxury plus size, but with better fuel economy and hopefully less ugly. I then started researching the 75 and what I read impressed. I saw one advertised, took a look and bought it all in the same evening - not really even knowing which model spec I had bought, only that it was a diesel and it had a sunroof. I didn't research the various models, or options, or their faults and knew zilch about diesels, but I'd a company diesel's for years and knew their economy was good. At 100K it had worn better than my company motor at 20k, a very clean motor even underneath and under the bonnet it looks all very fresh and surprisingly new. It turned out to be the top model, with all of the toys already fitted.

It's had the usual minor problems to be dealt with, as with any car, I'm certainly not regreting it and as with most cars I have bought - I have fallen for it. It was easy on the eye

It wasn't a decision based on money, I could have gone out and bought something comparable new, but I would have been struggling to justify the expense to myself for the use it gets - like the bike, it is just a weekend toy.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 1st April 2011 at 22:55..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote