Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2020, 17:28   #11
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I'm 34, for my generation retiring in our 50s is simply a fantasy

I'm sure the state pension age will be 70 before I retire, and with house prices being what they are early retirement is simply not going to happen
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 17:33   #12
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Retiring early is great. I did it in 2003 at age 53 to look after my Mother who was getting frail. I did such a good job that she lived until 2016, aged nearly 99! Money was tight, but the freedom was worth it, and yet now under lockdown, I still don't know how to fit in everything I want to do. Perhaps it is the joy of doing it all at a slower pace, appreciating the things we all take for granted.
I similar situation for me but at an earlier phase of life - I was 25 when I had to start looking after my dad, for the first couple of years I did manage to do an couple of short stints of work at the same time but none now since 2013. And I think I must be must be doing a good job too as he still enjoying life at 83 with severe dementia, I didn't think he would be still be going so strong at this point

Only problem is I hadn't made a decent start with a career and hadn't bought a house, so at some point going back to normal life will be a big shock for the system, starting from nothing again
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 21:47   #13
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
I'm 34, for my generation retiring in our 50s is simply a fantasy

I'm sure the state pension age will be 70 before I retire, and with house prices being what they are early retirement is simply not going to happen
I'm a similar age to you and similarly I don't expect to receive a state pension before hitting 70. In fact I don't think it will exist in the same form by then and will be more a combination of means-tested grants.

Early retirement will be a distant dream for most of our generation with the phenomenal mortgages that are being taken on. My mortgage is fortunately very modest and will be gone within 10 years however I know others my age who will not be mortgage free for at least 30 years.
Old 23rd May 2020, 23:52   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well I suppose they will look back at this debacle in years to come, wistfully saying how they could have done things better I suppose.

Forget the virus, the knock on effect of the fear and financial devastation caused by the mishandling of the whole affair will be felt for generations to come.

It won't be us, or our children, it will be our children's children paying the price, and life is never going to be the same again I'm afraid.

I can't afford to retire at present, last year I could have considered it a distinct possibility that in five years time I would be happily pottering on with my many projects, but not now and to be frank if we have to put up with more of the same for years to come, I fail to see the point.

I truly believe that people should be given a binary choice, either accept the risk of infection and the possible consequences of that, or live in your own bubble if you deem life to be too fraught with danger to cross the threshold.

There has to come a time when it is accepted that we all die at some point, and we must not confuse quality with quantity.

Hands up, who would prefer to run the gauntlet?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 05:50   #15
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well I suppose they will look back at this debacle in years to come, wistfully saying how they could have done things better I suppose.

Forget the virus, the knock on effect of the fear and financial devastation caused by the mishandling of the whole affair will be felt for generations to come.

It won't be us, or our children, it will be our children's children paying the price, and life is never going to be the same again I'm afraid.

I can't afford to retire at present, last year I could have considered it a distinct possibility that in five years time I would be happily pottering on with my many projects, but not now and to be frank if we have to put up with more of the same for years to come, I fail to see the point.

I truly believe that people should be given a binary choice, either accept the risk of infection and the possible consequences of that, or live in your own bubble if you deem life to be too fraught with danger to cross the threshold.

There has to come a time when it is accepted that we all die at some point, and we must not confuse quality with quantity.

Brian

Brian,
It's a hands up from me👍
The government done such a sterling job scaring the living daylights out of folk that half the population are frightened to live again. Covid19 has many different strains and developing a vaccine that will fully eradicate it will be near impossible.
The insufferable new normal of one way systems is getting to be ridiculous. The restrictions on living life are getting stifling, we are not immortal nothing is guaranteed life is for living and we should be able to enjoy it to the full.
In short in the pubs and restaurants were opened today I would have no hesitation in standing in a crowded bar or sitting in a equally busy restaurant.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 06:08   #16
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I agree with you, Marinabrian, I'm willing personally to take the risk, it's all part of life. My parents who are in their 90s are being shielded and will no doubt continue to be as long as they are with us. I feel sorry for the younger people being shielded, I have a friend, in her early 40s with lupus. She's banking on a silver bullet vaccine, she's going to have to face an agonising decision when her kids have to come out of lockdown, what does she do? The more I look into this, the more I feel as if a vaccine isn't going to be forthcoming that beats this virus. It will be the survival of the fittest. A very harsh future in these soft times. In 1919 people just got on with it, without a vaccine.

I'm planning our next winter holiday, I have the maps out and the guide book. I'm looking at going back to India and into Bangladesh backpacking on the cheap. Will try and see a Bengal tiger in the wild. Hopefully flights will be available and the threat of this virus will have receded enough to go for it. I'm 70 next year and need to proceed with active life at a pace.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 09:31   #17
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I'm looking at going back to India and into Bangladesh backpacking on the cheap. Will try and see a Bengal tiger in the wild.
It's a lifetime ambition of mine to see a wild tiger.
I've been to India once. to a santuary called Sariska but sadly no sightings.Even so what an experience when the jeep stops in the middle of the jungle and all you can hear is animal calls.I will be back for sure.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 11:33   #18
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian

Some say it’s no good living in the past and they rubbish the historians for going on about what happened years ago, saying it has no bearing on current changes.

Our long fought for way of life is being eroded because the will of the people, viewed from the top of the hill, has got too strong and they are unwilling to bow the knee or tug the forelock as they once were.

I wonder if earlier activities of people in powerful positions were more widely exposed and their involvement in major changes were more publicly known about, if different attitudes might be taken.

Is anybody aware that the Lab in question about this crisis was encouraged and built with the financial aid and help or our ‘ally’ - France? And the Minister that signed it off was the French Foreign Minister of the day who ignored the advice of his own Intelligence Services?

No less than M. Michel Barnier. Later to be the pivotal operator in other major international activities where his reputation was, er, somewhat suspect. He actually gave the go-ahead and signed off for the work to start on the Wuhan complex.

These people are now in charge of our lives and every word they utter should be taken in context with earlier adventures that can now be seen in their true context.

The new curtailments on our civil liberties and the swingeing fines on civil disobedience which, if unpaid can result in imprisonment which is the real isolation, er, dare I say it - lockdown - are the beginnings of a massive fraud.

We are being conditioned on the back of a malady that is insignificant in its mortality rates when compared to many other epidemics and more common diseases.

What hurts more, and is disgusting, is the willingness of the public to report to the authorities the usually harmless actions of their neighbours. The Historians may have it right, there are earlier parallels.

Last edited by wraymond; 24th May 2020 at 11:38..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 13:02   #19
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

No conspiracy theories here.....

In the link below Global Questions - Lifting Lockdown BBC World Service yesterday

The Panel:

Zeinab Badawi

Tony Blair Former British Prime Minister and Chair Tony Blair Institute for Global Change

Paolo Gentiloni Former Italian Prime Minister and European Commissioner for Economy

The discussion: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct0tzz
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 13:31   #20
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I will try to stay safe, but do not want to challenge the ability of the NHS. Any government will get criticized, but it would be sheer stupidity to put one's head above the parapet shouting that it's "all clear", when one has no defences. Stay safe, be wary, oh, can't say that as I'm not a Government Minister.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote