Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th November 2017, 22:36   #1
Minariman

None at the moment

Default Is a 2005 SE 1.8T 's head gasket going to be OK?

Hi,
I am going to look at a 2005 (2006 reg) SE 1.8T tomorrow. Is the head gasket going to be the same type as the originals or were they uprated to Freelander spec by then?
Colin.
Minariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 06:25   #2
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Still the old type from factory.

Upside is if it does pop ... The k series is so easy to work on for about £150 and a weekend you can fit a shiny new one.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 09:19   #3
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

Hi good luck hope it,s a nice car.
Old 7th November 2017, 09:31   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minariman View Post
Hi,
I am going to look at a 2005 (2006 reg) SE 1.8T tomorrow. Is the head gasket going to be the same type as the originals or were they uprated to Freelander spec by then?
Colin.
If you get the car get one of these fitted -a godsend for Turbo owners - 46-60 mins to fit- see below .It gives you control in that you know the running temp - overheating being the primary reason for HG failure. Also swop out the plastic coolant t-piece for a metal one (its a big failure point in the coolant system) . Also check the coolant tank for the coolant levle on a regular basis

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Zee-K-B...cAAOSwtfhYsZwN

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 09:34   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
Still the old type from factory.

Upside is if it does pop ... The k series is so easy to work on for about £150 and a weekend you can fit a shiny new one.
Can you really?:
So that's £150 for the following:

1 x Head gasket set (either MLS or Elastomer - you won't know which one you need until liner height is checked)
10 x Stretch bolts
1 x timing belt kit
1 x water pump
1 x oil filter
engine oil
OAT coolant
Possibly an uprated ladder rail
Gasket sealant (for cam carrier etc)
Consumables (yes, it all costs money)
I always skim the cylinder heads (I don't want to open a can of worms here, this is just the way I do it)

To the OP:

I'm sure the car will be lovely & don't be too frightened of the head gasket failure stories.
It's true that the 4cyl K-series engine had a bit of a weakness in this area but It's also true that if levels are checked & gauges are taken notice of, they can go on for a long time
I have a R75 1.8 with over 142,000mls on the original head gasket & also a R45 1.6 with over 126,000mls again on it's original head gasket.

Good luck looking at the car.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 09:48   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My 1.8t is on 193,900 miles. Yes, it has had HGF but is still around. Don't be put off by the doom and gloom merchants. The K series is a cracking engine.

And welcome to the club where there is an amazing fountain of knowledge.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 12:43   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I bought my 05 1.8NA Conny SE with around 60K on the clock. After running for around 500 miles, I noticed a slight oil slick in the header tank. The car was about 10 years old, so I decided to bite the bullet and do the head gasket, complete with all the ancillaries for peace of mind. On removing the head, there was a slight seep between the water jacket and the head oilway in the usual place, due to failure of the elastomer seal. The new gasket had an uprated section at this point (make sure, if fitting the elastomer gasket, that you get the one with reinforced areas). After fitting, I haven't used any oil or coolant between services. If the cambelt needs replacing every six years (which it does), it's not a lot more work to do the head gasket aswell. Don't skimp and do the inlet manifold gasket, cambelt, water pump, camcover gasket and drive belts at the same time. In for a penny! You need to check the heights of the cylinder liners before deciding which gasket to use, either elastomer or multilayer steel. Plenty of info on the forum as to what to look for. ie:-
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/pages/choosi...ead-gasket-kit

Last edited by roverbarmy; 7th November 2017 at 12:57..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 12:53   #8
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Can you really?:
So that's £150 for the following:

1 x Head gasket set (either MLS or Elastomer - you won't know which one you need until liner height is checked)
10 x Stretch bolts
1 x timing belt kit
1 x water pump
1 x oil filter
engine oil
OAT coolant
Possibly an uprated ladder rail
Gasket sealant (for cam carrier etc)
Consumables (yes, it all costs money)
I always skim the cylinder heads (I don't want to open a can of worms here, this is just the way I do it)

To the OP:

I'm sure the car will be lovely & don't be too frightened of the head gasket failure stories.
It's true that the 4cyl K-series engine had a bit of a weakness in this area but It's also true that if levels are checked & gauges are taken notice of, they can go on for a long time
I have a R75 1.8 with over 142,000mls on the original head gasket & also a R45 1.6 with over 126,000mls again on it's original head gasket.

Good luck looking at the car.
I was giving honest advice don't make me out to be a moron. All of the above from eurocarparts with a 33% discount comes to £147.62, I've just done it to prove a point. So yes you can and yes I have. That's oil and filter, HG, water pump, timing belt kit, bolts 5l of conc antifreeze. I did miss the inlet gasket out though.

Granted I'd not personally fit all those brand of parts but some for example head bolts don't necessarily need replacing.

I'd rather use some other brands in the mix but it can be done.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 15:55   #9
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Easier to just purchase a BW750 elastomer gasket. No worries about uneven liners etc then.

Headbolts might be reusable. Yes they should be replaced but you can check they're still within tolerances and much better than cheap ones that'll snap (experienced this before)

Skimming not needed if head is flat

Oil rail unlikely to need swapping out
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 16:03   #10
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

From a non technical point of view.

Look at the car, drive the car, check the usual things ( if unsure look at the buyers guide in my signature).

HGF is reparable and as mentioned need not be horrendous in cost. There are a good number of experienced / recommended folk who can help if required.

Hope it goes well
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote