Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th April 2016, 18:32   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Ferodo braking lining factory Caenarfron North Wales.

Hiya all, well got something interesting here if anyone wants to take a look, plus a bit of history as well.

I don't live far from a factory from mine, it was owned by Ferodo which was a braking lining factory, they did pretty much everything from parts maniffcatiruing to brakes, pipes clutch flywheels the lot.

I remember years ago when I was wee kid I heard the machines going like anything, you could smell the brakes being tested for heat resistant's.
But overtime the firm was going down hell and strikes were constant, every time I used to go to school I'd always used to say workers with signs and ranting like mad to owners of the firm, mainly down to cut wages and pensions which angered a huge majority of the engineers.

A lot fo them walked out and it just went down hill from there.
nobody worked there now for the last 13 years, I'd love to have had a job there, this is sort of thing I wanted to do was mechanical engineering that, but stuck with automotive as my dad kept saying that the engineering trade is dead, but in the 60's 70's and 80's engineering work was constant and jumping from one job to other was easy.

My grand father used to work, yes my dad's father that's German which I mentioned before, he worked there he died in 68, my dad said he was there for a good few years and he used to take my dad with him to show him what work was being done how it was done.

In 1969 Princess Margret and president Nixon came to Caernarfon to visit the site, and yes right on my door step, if you fast forward to 4:05 on the video link you see the Bungalow on the top conour on your right that's where I live lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWdEFT9hN8w

Got some pictures as well on what the factory looks like now.
sad sight to see, once the pictures are up I'll show them here.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:43   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
Hiya all, well got something interesting here if anyone wants to take a look, plus a bit of history as well.

I don't live far from a factory from mine, it was owned by Ferodo which was a braking lining factory, they did pretty much everything from parts maniffcatiruing to brakes, pipes clutch flywheels the lot.

I remember years ago when I was wee kid I heard the machines going like anything, you could smell the brakes being tested for heat resistant's.
But overtime the firm was going down hell and strikes were constant, every time I used to go to school I'd always used to say workers with signs and ranting like mad to owners of the firm, mainly down to cut wages and pensions which angered a huge majority of the engineers.

A lot fo them walked out and it just went down hill from there.
nobody worked there now for the last 13 years, I'd love to have had a job there, this is sort of thing I wanted to do was mechanical engineering that, but stuck with automotive as my dad kept saying that the engineering trade is dead, but in the 60's 70's and 80's engineering work was constant and jumping from one job to other was easy.

My grand father used to work, yes my dad's father that's German which I mentioned before, he worked there he died in 68, my dad said he was there for a good few years and he used to take my dad with him to show him what work was being done how it was done.

In 1969 Princess Margret and president Nixon came to Caernarfon to visit the site, and yes right on my door step, if you fast forward to 4:05 on the video link you see the Bungalow on the top conour on your right that's where I live lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWdEFT9hN8w

Got some pictures as well on what the factory looks like now.
sad sight to see, once the pictures are up I'll show them here.
Hey nice bit of local history on that Vid Dave, especially your house. very cool.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:48   #3
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Hey nice bit of local history on that Vid Dave, especially your house. very cool.
It was major operating plant, the rail away is now a cycle track so more trains now.

hasn't been a train on there, in fact 1969 that train you saw in the video was the last to be used on that rail way.

There's been talks of redoing the factory and turning it into other engineering plant, but there is one major problem with that, Asbestos LOTS OF IT, in fact nearly the whole building its self is made from the stuff.

getting rid of that is going to cost millions. One time they wanted to turn it into a prison, fine god it was in Wrexham and not here, if they did would have been pretty NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to live here then.

imagine that prison right outside your own home, no thanks rather have a nosey engineering plant any day of the week.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 4th April 2016, 18:52   #4
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 4th April 2016, 18:53   #5
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Sorry if photos isn't great, used my phone its god awful.

can't beat a camera.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 4th April 2016 at 18:58..
Old 4th April 2016, 18:57   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Those places built back them are full of the stuff, my old neigbour just replaced his old 1950's asbestos garage for another one & it cost him a fortune to have that removed, they were all kitted out in those bio warfare type suits with breathing apparatus, It seemed a bit over the top to me. I demolished my old one with a sledge hammer & used it for infill for the base for my new garage.

We used to go to a huge car show at RAF Woodford in Southport until they discovered huge quantities of old asbestos buildings just under the turf. They closed it down straightaway.

Old 4th April 2016, 18:59   #7
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

It's a crying shame to see places like that derelict, all those jobs/liveihoods gone forever.

Old 4th April 2016, 19:10   #8
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Those places built back them are full of the stuff, my old neigbour just replaced his old 1950's asbestos garage for another one & it cost him a fortune to have that removed, they were all kitted out in those bio warfare type suits with breathing apparatus, It seemed a bit over the top to me. I demolished my old one with a sledge hammer & used it for infill for the base for my new garage.

We used to go to a huge car show at RAF Woodford in Southport until they discovered huge quantities of old asbestos buildings just under the turf. They closed it down straightaway.
Really just for a garage to be demolished Jesus, then again I can see why, once that stuff gets in your lungs doesn't ever truly go away.

But still cost it just blows your mind. can't remember what year they banned the use of Asbestos, but the same it did was the same time that engineering industry's were getting hammered on health safety protocols.

Oh yes my dad remembers it well where he worked in pant which was a joint venture with Ferodo at the time that was in 1974, my dad would have been 18 then.

I do hope in the future they do something within it, In Wales work isn't great as it is and say we need lots more jobs we can get, instead local councils spend on stupid and silly projects while this plant could boost the welsh economy, not into politics, but when I see a factory which can produce tons of materiel and plenty of jobs locally, its hard not to be angry about it.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 4th April 2016, 19:14   #9
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
It's a crying shame to see places like that derelict, all those jobs/liveihoods gone forever.
Sure is where work could be done here and create lots of jobs in the local area.

Went there as well on a mission to find a file containing documents of employment records, you see don't have anything about my grand father at all, only dad's info about him,

so I went in today to see if I can find that file find my grand fathers name, I saw the file years ago when I was kid, but I can't remember which part of the building complex it is, so many rooms and they look the same.

BURNT OUT AND DESTROYED.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 4th April 2016, 19:30   #10
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Default I did find something tho.

found these and some engineering text books as well, with measure ments machinery operation.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.