Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th September 2011, 14:19   #11
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

If they hadn't sold to BMW we would have never seen the 75..if i remember they were re skinning the 600 when BMW stepped in with the new design.

The likes of the production cars from Ford and Vauxhall also gave them fierce competition along with eastern manufacturers.

They always seemed to be on a hiding to nothing.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 14:20   #12
Banjo
Posted a thing or two

MG6 Magnette 1.8 Tci SE

Well said Tony. I have also vowed only to buy a British car, that is why I hope that MG come good. Otherwise it will have to be a JLR product next. Obviously neither are British owned, but they are both investing in plant and talent here.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 14:56   #13
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Hi all
lets not forget that myself (and i suspect a few others) would never have been able to afford a car such as a 75 had rover still been in buisness. Don't get me wrong here, I would gladly drive an 800 again, loved both mine. The demise of Rover put the 75 within reach of my budget so i went for it ! Did this club start as a result of the demise of Rover ?
Regards Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 14:58   #14
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muey View Post
Hi all
lets not forget that myself (and i suspect a few others) would never have been able to afford a car such as a 75 had rover still been in buisness. Don't get me wrong here, I would gladly drive an 800 again, loved both mine. The demise of Rover put the 75 within reach of my budget so i went for it ! Did this club start as a result of the demise of Rover ?
Regards Mark

that is a very good point.
Old 4th September 2011, 14:59   #15
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

b-- raped the company. Who designed and paid for the new mini? Where did the designs for the X3 and X5 come from? Who took the 4x4 info and banned us from building a 4x4 for x amount of years? Who detuned the cdti engine so we could'nt outshine there cars? The workers did the company proud. The media and governments, b-- and them greedy 4 made the company go bust. Them and their 5 year plan. Look at the panic towards the end of them 5 years. By then they'd feathered there own nest. They did'nt have a clue. Even now the workers are being ripped off. The pennies in the trust fund. Still there earning a good living for the people looking after it. They are not going to let it go are they? They would be out of a job.

Last edited by ardvark; 4th September 2011 at 15:03..
ardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 15:07   #16
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Seems strange to me that Rover fail as a UK builder at the same time as Honda/Nissan/Toyota are setting their UK productions up and are still doing 'OK' given the circumstances for all car companies, even exporting back to Japan.

I actually thought the original top gear test of the 75 by Clarkson was fair. It did fit into a niche, not a good thing if you want to sell bucket loads. He didn't say it was c**p, just dated in it's styling.

'not cheap enough for Mondeo man and too cheap for Jaguar man' Maybe that was a problem..

I also think BMW we're a lot smarter than some think and were already planning their attack on Mondeo man using the 3 series and firmly believe they learnt a lot from the Rover boys & girls in order to become the huge company they are now. They were after all still a high price low volume car maker when they bought Rover. Look where they are now!!

I think Jaguar will be next.... How many new XJ's have you seen?? All that investment and virtually no sales. I'd kill for one though........

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 15:10   #17
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by muey View Post
Hi all
Regards Mark
To add to that had Rover not gone to the wall and the 75 was a raving success, would it have stayed the same quality wise and would we have wanted one if every Tom Richard or Harriot had one?

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 15:29   #18
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
To add to that had Rover not gone to the wall and the 75 was a raving success, would it have stayed the same quality wise and would we have wanted one if every Tom Richard or Harriot had one?
Also a good point !
I do get the odd comment about "pipe and slippers" off a few friends, but only the friends who have never been in it. Mine is an SE with lots of toys i want to brag about , but the friends who have been in the car are smitten ! They look at the toys as an after thought !
Polly has now done 101000 miles and drives and feels like a new car, someone got it right , pat on the back for that man/woman.
Regards Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 16:23   #19
psicobra
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

wow quite a debate started i love my rover 75 i only have th mk1 but i think it is stunning the connoisseur trim is fantastic although the SE is better i dont have memory seats or cruise control but for £1000 i am well impressed.

Andy
psicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 16:28   #20
philjudo
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 CDTI Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Lack of investment in new models, lack of Government support to build a new modern factory and negative publicity from the car world's very own Prince of Darkness - Clarkson and his hobgoblins, May and Hammond.
Spot on with that. According to them only the Germans can make cars,They did for Rover what Jasper Carrot did for the old Skoda.