Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2011, 12:28   #11
Spanky
Gets stuck in

Other (Ex ZT owner)

Its clear that people don't realise that there are aftermarket HID kits for reflectors too, which are different to the projector ones.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 18:12   #12
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Only problem I have with them is when 4x4s have them fitted. Their headlights are positioned so high compared to most people's driving positions in regular cars that they can dazzle. Esepcially when they are close behind you, in your rear view mirror.

But in most cars they are fine... the problem is that many people who fit them don't get their alignment checked afterwards. Correctly adjusted HIDs should not dazzle at all.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 19:09   #13
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
Correctly adjusted HIDs should not dazzle at all.

Not quite right, it is the light scatter that is also the problem. HID bulbs need a lens to focus the beam. Fitting aftermarket HID bulbs into a standard halogen filament lamp unit is a compromise. Great for the driver dazzling for others!!

I have a set of Halogen Nightbreaker two bulbs. They are excellent, legal bright and do not dazzle!!
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 19:24   #14
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Not quite right, it is the light scatter that is also the problem. HID bulbs need a lens to focus the beam. Fitting aftermarket HID bulbs into a standard halogen filament lamp unit is a compromise. Great for the driver dazzling for others!!
Correctly adjusted = making sure it has the right beam pattern in the right place.

It's perfectly possible to get this from a projector OR reflector (many OEM's used Xenon reflectors in the early days, with no dodgy beams...), as long as the enclosure was designed to do it.

I don't think theres a massive problem with the lack of self-levelling / powerwash with a correctly installed kit, but people installing HID's in unsuitable housings is a problem as it seems bright as light is going in all the wrong places

(I hold my hands up, I fitted HID's to my ZT with halogens... but I saw the error of my ways!)
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:22   #15
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post

I have a set of Halogen Nightbreaker two bulbs. They are excellent, legal bright and do not dazzle!!
I have aftermarket HIDs, from hids4u.They do not dazzle anyone, now passed 3 MOTs. Surely the MOT would pick up if lights are wrong.
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:10   #16
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

when i fitted my hids i had them on the machine to set them upto the legal pattern ..no blinding anyone whilst sitting behind them in traffic and the light is reflcted where i need it and not up in the air ,so the simple answer is to have them set up right when fitting them,that way your happy with brighter lighting and on coming traffic is happy as they wont get blinded
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:17   #17
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Sorry to put a damper on things, or perhaps to shed some light on the matter rather than heat (pun entirely intended). Surely lights as designed and supplied by the car manufacturer, or at least deemed to be suitable for the vehicle by the maker, are adequate for all forseeable normal uses? Otherwise would they not leave the way open for massive legal actions following crashes? In my jaundiced view these lights are designed to impart a sadly aggressive or flashy appearance and are part of the general attitude of 'bling' at every opportunity. A basic rule is to drive so that you can stop within your seeing distance. If you require an increased seeing distance then by definition you are lacking in visual awareness or driving faster than you should be. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an improving mod if it is safe but the rush to 'outdo' is to be regretted.

Last edited by wraymond; 22nd April 2011 at 18:37..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:55   #18
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Hi all. the vast majority of these lights don't worry me. The "boy" racer wrongly fitted/adjusted types do though. When I get the said boy racer type behind me and all my mirrors (including auto dim rear view mirror ) are blinding me from what's in FRONT of me, something needs doing is my opinion ! There, off my soap box now, .
regards Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:00   #19
CFS75
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

I suggest to any driver who feels that his/her car's lights are not providing sufficient illumination for safe night driving, that it is time for an eyesight test for visual awareness. Many people are reluctant to admit, or are unaware that their eyesight has deteriorated. Everyone over 40 should have regular eyesight tests!
Colin.
CFS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:50   #20
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS75 View Post
I suggest to any driver who feels that his/her car's lights are not providing sufficient illumination for safe night driving, that it is time for an eyesight test for visual awareness. Many people are reluctant to admit, or are unaware that their eyesight has deteriorated. Everyone over 40 should have regular eyesight tests!
Colin.
Personally I can't go along with this view, my dipped beam was very poor on A&B roads when faced with oncoming traffic and bends in the road making it difficult to see nearside edge; and almost had me thinking the setting was too low (even when fully up on the dashboard adjuster) - now I admit my age is no help, but do have annual eye tests and my 21 year old son had similar problems, my answer was Xenon bulbs, no blue tint when viewed from front of car.

They help a great deal giving a better spread and improved distance, I did not self fit but had the bulbs and alignment done by local garage who also do my MoT, alignment checked before and after, and never been flashed since fitted.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote