Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th November 2010, 18:26   #11
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
I have been getting an average of 43.6mpg - with a best of 50.5 and a worst of 36.1 - and yes I am dull enough to have kept a spreadsheet of my consumption for the past year
I've been keeping a spreadsheet too, for the 5 months I've had the car. I've changed the air filter, the PCV, the MAF and cleaned the EGR. Consumption has changed little, no matter what my driving style. it's always 28 - 30 urban and 30 - 35 touring. Best ever brim to brim was 34.5.
The thermostat is now the only common suspect left (coolant temperature in the low to mid 80s), but I'm beginning to doubt whether running at 90C - 92C is going to get me the manufacturer's stated average of 40ish combined and the high 40s on a run. There's got to be some other factor. What about the injectors? Anybody changed them and noticed an improvement in consumption?

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 18:44   #12
Samuelle
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTI 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Buying an MG = sports car?? and looking for economic motoring is a contradiction in terms innit?

You either have to drive your MG like a granny, which defeats the purpose of owning one, or get a smaller car..

A manual gearbox will give better mpg than an auto. Apart from that you will end up spending more money than you save by doing loads of modds to your car trying to improve the mpg..

I hear Mini's are nice?
But your MPG can indicate whether your car is running as it should, or not. A car that has some problem that is resulting in poor mpg may also be gimping performance.
Samuelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 18:48   #13
sof007
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
I've been keeping a spreadsheet too, for the 5 months I've had the car. I've changed the air filter, the PCV, the MAF and cleaned the EGR. Consumption has changed little, no matter what my driving style. it's always 28 - 30 urban and 30 - 35 touring. Best ever brim to brim was 34.5.
The thermostat is now the only common suspect left (coolant temperature in the low to mid 80s), but I'm beginning to doubt whether running at 90C - 92C is going to get me the manufacturer's stated average of 40ish combined and the high 40s on a run. There's got to be some other factor. What about the injectors? Anybody changed them and noticed an improvement in consumption?
I forgot to mention that I used an STP injector cleaner additive and it did seem to make a difference but i'm not sure how much as I upgraded a few bits and pieces during the same brim to brim run.
sof007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 19:57   #14
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Hi all, I have a cdt tourer, had it 18 months now. Apart from basic checks, I just keep to maintainance schedule . Apollo (she moonstone green) returns 39ish on a 9 mile commute on mainly A roads and 52 ish on (long leisurely take my time) days out. I have done a few brim to brims and the message centre is within a mile or two on all occasions. My wallet and local knowledge backs the figures up too. I'm not computered up enough to do a spreadsheet, but i probably would if i could.
Regards Muey
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 20:00   #15
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sof007 View Post
I do still have the thermostat to do as my car rarely gets above 70deg as per the OBD (think I'm gonna try the quick fix way outlined on here by Wuzerk for this). There seems to be varying reports as to whether this will increase the mpg or not but either way it can't be good for the engine to be running consistently 18-20deg below what it should.
My feeling is that it should help in colder weather as it will get the car up to running temp much quicker and hold it there. But mine seems to be running in the low 60's in the quite warm weather now - I should have checked in the depths of winter last year - the heater was certainly dire for the first 10 or so miles and not that good even then.

I should get my Meziere thermostat next week, I'll fit it and run about as soon as I can. I've got a 300 mile run in the early part of the following week which should be interesting.

Just a thought for those with fuel consumption issues - it might be useful to note if you habitually use the air con what happens to a tankful if you turn it off.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 20:36   #16
Samuelle
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTI 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
My feeling is that it should help in colder weather as it will get the car up to running temp much quicker and hold it there. But mine seems to be running in the low 60's in the quite warm weather now - I should have checked in the depths of winter last year - the heater was certainly dire for the first 10 or so miles and not that good even then.

I should get my Meziere thermostat next week, I'll fit it and run about as soon as I can. I've got a 300 mile run in the early part of the following week which should be interesting.

Just a thought for those with fuel consumption issues - it might be useful to note if you habitually use the air con what happens to a tankful if you turn it off.
I've just contacted Meziere for a price delivered to Ireland. My thermostat got killed last week at the NCT (Irish MOT) after the examiner red-lined it in neutral 9 or 10 times

Do you have any idea how long the delivery takes? I guess they may get held up in customs while they work out the taxes? (apologies for sidetracking your thread a little here Frank)
Samuelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 22:10   #17
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelle View Post
Do you have any idea how long the delivery takes? I guess they may get held up in customs while they work out the taxes?
According to the USPS track and trace website mine was sent by them on Friday 28 Oct (the day I ordered it ) but it did not leave LA till the evening of the Wednesday 3rd November. I have no idea when it will get here! I hope sometime early next week. I have no idea who is delivering it at this end either.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 22:16   #18
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

I moved this into technical help forum just to get a bit beter coverage and to see if anyone else had anymore ideas as to why your consumption is low.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 23:07   #19
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Buying an MG = sports car?? and looking for economic motoring is a contradiction in terms innit?

well if the ZT is a sports car.......surely it's just a slightly revved up Rover 75 with all that implies?? Seriously though if anyone wanted a sports car they'd have bought a 190 wouldn't they? And actually a sports car isn't such a bad economy, our TF does better mpg than our ZT especially round town
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 00:57   #20
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Even well maintained cars vary like mad when it comes to MPG, and in my experience it is very hard to get an improvement..

A badly maintained car is a diff story altogether innit..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote