Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2010, 00:50   #1
direstraits
Avid contributor

2X MGZT-T190,s 1XMGZT180 X-PowerGrey/Trophy Blue/ Anthracite

Default Speed camera's

I have received a speeding ticket from Cambridgeshire Traffic Camera Unit.

Going at 36 in a 30 mile an hour zone. All nicely typed out and delivered to correct address.

The offence took place on Goldhay Way in Peterborough at 10.11 on the 27/07/2010.

Fair cop you might say, however the car in question and the driver were 140 miles away and the car was sat on the drive and the driver was sitting at this machine.

When I called the number I was asked for the Ref No of the incident and the women looked it up, said in a bored voice, "Oh I can see what has happend, instead of reading the "V" as a "V" it was read as a "W". It was obviously read off wrong on the film as the W and V are well seperated on the keyboard.

I received a letter the next morning with the statement, " Re-examination has confirmed that the vehicle involved was not yours.

The records has been rectified and the matter is now closed."

That's all right then is it.

Moral of the story make sure it is you they are chasing.

I had a worried weekend wondering if my car had been ringed!!!

To the person who owns a Dark Blue MG190T-T 04 face lift there is a letter in the post for you from the Cambridgshire Safety Camera Unit.
direstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 01:45   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Whatever the excuse.... a successful challenge

However, it should be made aware to members that car "cloning" is on the increase

So if you will post pics of your cars onto the forum, please mask your number plates and your VIN's. - Just as a precaution.....

I am as guilty as the next man for not following this protocol

TBH the vehicle number plate recognition cameras are usually precise and can identify between a V and a W....... Maybe the authorities do not want to advertise the number of cloned vehicles on our roads...........

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 7th August 2010 at 02:00..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 04:45   #3
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by direstraits View Post

I had a worried weekend wondering if my car had been ringed!!!

To the person who owns a Dark Blue MG190T-T 04 face lift there is a letter in the post for you from the Cambridgshire Safety Camera Unit.

Hmmmmmmmmm... Unusual for 2 identical cars to be distinguished by just one similar letter, isn't it? A number yes, but............ Dragrad has a very good point about cloning. Mind you, any car a villain sees in the street can be cloned. I can't help thinking ours are just a little more difficult to do than say an Audi or a BM.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 07:42   #4
WIDE LOAD
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi, MGF 1.8i

On a similar note I had a letter saying I was photographed at six in the morning crossing Westminster Bridge in central London without paying the congestion charge. Now I was on 6-2 shift in Wolverhampton nearly 200 miles away. They would not send me photographs or even comment on them. I had to send a copy of my works clock-in card and a letter from my Gaffer. They said they would "review" my case. After 2 weeks they sent me a letter saying "they would give me the benefit of the doubt" no apology or anything even close.
WIDE LOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 08:22   #5
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDE LOAD View Post
On a similar note I had a letter saying I was photographed at six in the morning crossing Westminster Bridge in central London without paying the congestion charge. Now I was on 6-2 shift in Wolverhampton nearly 200 miles away. They would not send me photographs or even comment on them. I had to send a copy of my works clock-in card and a letter from my Gaffer. They said they would "review" my case. After 2 weeks they sent me a letter saying "they would give me the benefit of the doubt" no apology or anything even close.
I run (among other things.) the transport fleet at work, the business is located in central london, so as you can imagine parking tickets and various other offences are quite common, we contest all tickets unless we are bang to rights, so about 90% get contested. Of these about 80% are overturned in our favour, which is alot of tickets that should never have been issued in the first place.

TFL's latest little trick is to send you a fine for driving in a bus lane when you pull in to let the emergency services go by, my guys all have instructions to take down the reg of any police or ambulance they pull in for. What makes me mad is they issue the ticket via cctv so can clearly see what is going on and it is the same footage they review when you object!

we never get an apology for any of these just a snotty letter saying this is a one time only thing and wont happen again.

richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 08:35   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang View Post
TFL's latest little trick is to send you a fine for driving in a bus lane when you pull in to let the emergency services go by...
Proof that the whole thing is a money-making racket! Why don't the emergency services use the bus lane I wonder?

I am not defending TFL or criticising public-spirited drivers who pull over, but I believe that the public is not authorised to break the law on the road unless directed to by a police officer. Vehicles with flashing blue lights and sirens are not included. Note that properly driven police cars will switch off their siren if prevented from making progress behind stationary traffic correctly waiting at traffic lights showing red. Source: Honest John column, Daily Telegraph

Simon.
Old 7th August 2010, 08:44   #7
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Hi all. no speeding tickets here so far, but in Lancs they started to publicise where they "might" be. Doesn't really affect me as my boy racer days are long gone.....BUT... it does annoy when the mobile units deploy
just after a national speed limit reduces to a 40 mph limit. Because its my regular route to work, I'm aware of them but its a main tourist road
between lancs and yorks so bet they make a few bob on that route. If it was an accident black spot, fair play, but it isn't !
Regards Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 08:45   #8
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm... Unusual for 2 identical cars to be distinguished by just one similar letter, isn't it?
actually on the new reg system its not as dealers will be allocated an alphabetical sequence of letters the first one after the number the rest of the plate being the same so you can end of with a lot of similar cars with near identical plates
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 11:04   #9
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Quote:
Having had a couple of letters about congestion charge IIRC they have a photo of the front of the car showing the registration number on them, at least they have in the last couple of years.

I can't understand their attitude as I would have thought this made the matter fairly clear cut. I wonder what would happen if you had no-one to back up where you were.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:08   #10
Penfold
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
It would probably have been easier to challenge that ticket on the grounds that the central London cc zone operates between 7am and 6pm!

The congestion charge penalty notice carries a photograph of the front number plate, usually looking like it has been enhanced with a black magic marker. Uncannily that photograph NEVER has enough background detail to confirm exactly where you allegedly committed the offence
Penfold is offline   Reply With Quote