Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2020, 21:25   #152611
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Been a glorious day here today, that chill wind has gone.

Washed both cars, again. Polished the headlights on the Bear.

Had a Hermes delivery, turned up on time as well. Bought myself a 1.4 lens converter. Oh! My! Stuck on the 300mm and tried it on the 10-25mm wide angle. Will take a trip down to Waterside, on foot of course, to check the converter out.

Done some more gardening, think the weeds wait till my back is turned before reappearing.

Had another roast beef dinner. Cider is flowing well this evening.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 12th May 2020 at 21:27.. Reason: Lost letters located
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 22:47   #152612
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Evening Jeff, in post edit why not try it in black and white, add in some HDR for the cracked look or add in the fem smooth features in portrait to soften those lines, not forgetting the main thing - fun
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 22:59   #152613
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I was going to say the high-key works best.
On the low key image there's lovely rim lighting down the left (as viewed) but with a bit of heavy shadow running down over the eye.
However:
https://karsh.org/photographs/ernest-hemingway/

If it's good enough for Karsh, who am I to complain!
My new trigger system allows me to mix and match my studio heads with my speedlites which is kind of useful.

I was mainly playing just to see how they integrated.
In the low key image my key light (studio head) was 45 degrees to my left using a reflector brolly.
The second light was another studio light on about 1/32 power with no modifier. This was used to separate myself from the background and rim light my hair.
Finally I had one speedlite on the floor between my legs and pointing up. Also on a low output and with no modifier. This was just to lift my neck line and chin out of shadow very slightly.
Shot in my lounge with very little room to manoeuvre lol!
I would have preferred to have the second light further behind me for the rim lighting and then used either a reflector or yet another light for some shadow fill but there just wasn’t enough room.
Besides, I was only playing, I also had the laptop on my lap as I was shooting tethered so I could focus the camera from where I was sitting. All good fun lol.

Portrait Lighting is very subjective, don’t even get me started on the arguments for and against more than one catchlight in an eye

I’m a commercial photographer who went self employed three years ago now. I’m just starting to dip my toes into portraiture to offer other photographic services above my normal trade.
Got to diversify as they say
Old 12th May 2020, 23:03   #152614
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Evening Jeff, in post edit why not try it in black and white, add in some HDR for the cracked look or add in the fem smooth features in portrait to soften those lines, not forgetting the main thing - fun
Already have some B&W edits from the session Phil
Think I made one public on my Flickr if you want to look.
Would post it here but I’m on my phone in bed and the stupid Flickr app doesn’t allow copying the code.
I only use HDR these days if I actually shoot a bracketed exposure, just looks to false and obvious otherwise.
These photos do have a small amount of clarity and texture applied to them already btw .....Don’t want people thinking I have a perfect complexion
Old 12th May 2020, 23:11   #152615
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Already have some B&W edits from the session Phil
Think I made one public on my Flickr if you want to look.
Would post it here but I’m on my phone in bed and the stupid Flickr app doesn’t allow copying the code.
I only use HDR these days if I actually shoot a bracketed exposure, just looks to false and obvious otherwise.
These photos do have a small amount of clarity and texture applied to them already btw .....Don’t want people thinking I have a perfect complexion
No problem Jeff, I see you have the matter in hand. I add, I would like to see the Flickr app improved with bbCode for embedding being available on the mobile. It would make life much easier. Have fun
Old 12th May 2020, 23:14   #152616
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Been a glorious day here today, that chill wind has gone.

Washed both cars, again. Polished the headlights on the Bear.

Had a Hermes delivery, turned up on time as well. Bought myself a 1.4 lens converter. Oh! My! Stuck on the 300mm and tried it on the 10-25mm wide angle. Will take a trip down to Waterside, on foot of course, to check the converter out.

Done some more gardening, think the weeds wait till my back is turned before reappearing.

Had another roast beef dinner. Cider is flowing well this evening.
Hi Bob,

Be careful what lenses you attach to your teleconverter. Some lenses the rear focal part of the glass can come into contact with the converter at certain focal lengths and could become damaged as a result!
I would think your wide angle could be a candidate for that so be careful.
Not sure you would want to use it on that lens anyhow?
All you are doing is turning it into a very mild zoom lens and losing a stop of light along the way.
I’d stick to using it on your telephoto lens(s)
Just remember that stop of light you will lose. They do tend to work best on fast glass
Old 12th May 2020, 23:25   #152617
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
No problem Jeff, I see you have the matter in hand. I add, I would like to see the Flickr app improved with bbCode for embedding being available on the mobile. It would make life much easier. Have fun
I spend my working life in photoshop/lightroom these days Phil.
Was going to say, it’s my job.........but not so much at the moment eek
I’ve had to seriously up my game with my post edit workflow as I can be doing hundreds of images a day (when working).
I do most of my global editing in Lightroom and have made my own presets to do that and speed things along.
One of the great things with Lightroom is to get one image from a set, create a style you like and then apply that with one press of a button to all images selected in that set.....Happy Days !
Then any local editing, re touching, dodging and burning etc. I take edited file into Photoshop to finish off.
That’s basically how I roll lol
Old 13th May 2020, 05:29   #152618
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
I spend my working life in photoshop/lightroom these days Phil.
Was going to say, it’s my job.........but not so much at the moment eek
I’ve had to seriously up my game with my post edit workflow as I can be doing hundreds of images a day (when working).
I do most of my global editing in Lightroom and have made my own presets to do that and speed things along.
One of the great things with Lightroom is to get one image from a set, create a style you like and then apply that with one press of a button to all images selected in that set.....Happy Days !
Then any local editing, re touching, dodging and burning etc. I take edited file into Photoshop to finish off.
That’s basically how I roll lol
Good morning all, good morning Jeff, a sunny start to the day

I could certainly do with a preset for batch editing. So far I have not found one which picks up the feather details of birds and butterflies accurately. I set the camera for super fine jpg and raw. Using a mirrorless camera at high altitude, results in the photos coming out slightly over exposed. I haven’t quite worked out the minus exposure to compensate.

I really like your approach and how you have made it work for you
Old 13th May 2020, 06:11   #152619
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Good morning everyone from sunny Saltash, but just a tad chilly this morning.

More gardening this morning but first a bacon sarnie is needed.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 07:15   #152620
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Good morning all, good morning Jeff, a sunny start to the day

I could certainly do with a preset for batch editing. So far I have not found one which picks up the feather details of birds and butterflies accurately. I set the camera for super fine jpg and raw. Using a mirrorless camera at high altitude, results in the photos coming out slightly over exposed. I haven’t quite worked out the minus exposure to compensate.

I really like your approach and how you have made it work for you
Morning Phil,

In Lightroom, once you have adjusted an image to your liking you can simply save your adjustments as a preset and name it. You can then come back to it and use it when ever you want

Untitled by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Once preset made you can apply it to multiple images all at once...

As for exposure compensation, I shoot in manual so just adjust my exposures on the hoof to suit the image. Using either app, shutter or iso to give me the desired image. If you're not sure.....Just bracket the shot and hopefully you will have nailed it