Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th May 2020, 19:16   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default World population control anyone?

"The world's population is now 6.7Bn, roughly double what it was when I was born. I simply cannot understand why no-one discusses this impending calamity, and why no world statesmen have the guts to treat the issue with the seriousness it deserves. We seem to have given up on population control." - said Boris Johnson 25 October 2007 in the Daily Telegraph.

Well that didn't work out then, did it?

(PS Being of simple mind but a curious nature a few months ago I lodged a FOI request to the Cabinet Office, asking "How many children has the PM?" After some delay the reply came: "I am writing to advise you that following a search of our paper and electronic records, I have established that the information you requested is not held by the Cabinet Office." I bet they didn't look very hard . . .)
Old 6th May 2020, 19:38   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I thought china tried some control with a 1 child policy.

Science is a reason our population increases, we cure illnesses. I'm not going to, but perhaps I should include lockdown as a reason our population is not able to decrease enough. May be mother nature has its way of controlling the population but science comes along and thwarts it.
We try to cure famine in the 3rd world, another add to the population for the "few" that survive.

I have no idea how you could easily control the population growth.
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 20:55   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The population is increasing quicker in the poorer parts of the world. In these parts of the world with a higher child mortality rate and needing more children to work families with several children is considered normal. With the mortality rate reducing it does not take many generations especially with them having babies at a young age before there is a big increase in numbers.

The other thing is we have not had a major world conflict for 75 years or bad pandemic for 100 years. 40 million 1st world war, 50 million Spanish flu and 85 million 2nd world war.

Most modern developed countries population stays consistent or even decreases, places like Japan have a problem that they have an ageing population as many couple have only had one child for a few decades.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 07:59   #4
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

On top of all this we are now being told that by 2070 a considerable area of the world will be too hot to sustain life, so there will be ever increasing migration to more temporate climes. I wonder where that will be?....
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 12:18   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

A World War always used to drop the population count

Short of a war or some natural cataclysm the only way to control population would be by totalitarian rule!
Not something we would want I'm sure.

Time to start exploring space and finding other worlds for us to populate and pillage.

Happy Days
Old 7th May 2020, 12:27   #6
M17TT
Banned

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
A World War always used to drop the population count

Short of a war or some natural cataclysm the only way to control population would be by totalitarian rule!
Not something we would want I'm sure.

Time to start exploring space and finding other worlds for us to populate and pillage.

Happy Days
Finding new worlds is the relatively easy part, its getting to them.
M17TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 13:11   #7
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Given the historic greed and vandalism by mankind, I wouldn't criticise Mother Nature. She is incredibly generous and patient in the extreme. She is gentle and takes her time to provide the means of sustenance of her sometimes wilful children. Not unlike a real Mother.

The problem is to some extent down to indiscriminate casual procreation and the fall from grace of social respect and tolerance. People read all kinds of dubious meanings into pandemics, often as some sort of retribution - there are notable old books full of it - but in the end it's a simple equation. The nature of Man is at fault, from greed, fear, and territorial ambition.
Old 7th May 2020, 14:31   #8
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

If every country in the world progressed up to the standard of America. Then the world would need to be 5 times it's size to create the energy needed.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 17:34   #9
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Jakeatesme is quite correct, consider also why the rest of the world (in general) cannot be brought up to western standards, there is not enough energy, raw materials or food to do so.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 20:34   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Given the historic greed and vandalism by mankind, I wouldn't criticise Mother Nature. She is incredibly generous and patient in the extreme. She is gentle and takes her time to provide the means of sustenance of her sometimes wilful children. Not unlike a real Mother.

The problem is to some extent down to indiscriminate casual procreation and the fall from grace of social respect and tolerance. People read all kinds of dubious meanings into pandemics, often as some sort of retribution - there are notable old books full of it - but in the end it's a simple equation. The nature of Man is at fault, from greed, fear, and territorial ambition.
can you help me understand how greed, fear, and territorial ambition
connects to the title of the thread, World population control anyone?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote