Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2019, 18:05   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool The mini tours are back........................

.................................On for 2019.

And we are off up North, well anywhere over the Tamar is up North these days.
The Bear will be the car going as we cannot risk Banana at the hotel where we are staying, a very tight car park. But the Bear was there last year and she coped ok.

We are off to the White Feathers hotel in Ledbury Herefordshire. We was there last year for the Morgan experience. So I’m meeting Michael there, he is travelling from North London by train. He is gradually losing the want to drive anywhere these days.
Every year we do something for our birthdays, last year it was when he hired a Morgan. Was ok but could have done without my niece and her fella being with us. Let’s just say there were a few disagreements.

In the past Michael and I have gone on steam train trips, but it seems pointless to me for me to drive up to London to get a train to Penzance and back.
We will be having a few days out and a day exploring Ledbury. There used to be a firework factory on the outskirts a few years back, I know as I used to deliver firework igniters there. Be interesting to see if it is still there.

My plan is to drive up there via the A38-M5-M50 and onto Ledbury.

So should you hear a Bear growling along don’t forget to throw us a wave or a bun, toot your hooters or just a flash of those lovely restored headlights.
I’ll keep the diary running as I know we have a few followers.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 05:22   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Have to keep the reports short..........

....................................... As the Wi-Fi here is not very good. My ipad deems the network to be unsecure and keeps blocking me.

Good run up yesterday till we got to the other side of the M4 then we was lead car in a rolling roadblock. The X5 police vehicle pushed everyone into the outside lane. The rolling matrix with my reg no on show kept slowing me down till I was told to stop.
I counted 6 police and 4 fire engines hurtling down the hard shoulder towards more blue lights in the distance. We was held for about 20 minutes before being allowed to continue.

Once past the incident, involving 4 cars, we planted the loud pedal up to Warp Factor 3. The Bear lifted up her nose and we was back on track. Soon onto the M50 and turning off to Ledbury on the A417. Had very impatient Range Rover behind me till we got onto a open stretch and then the Bear left them in her dust.
Now the hotel has changed the entrance to their car park so I needed to find how to get in. Up and down a few streets before locating the very narrow entrance.
But as I was early I went down to the station to await Michael's arrival on the Iron Horse. Once there I phoned him expecting to get the answerphone but he answered.

Not long to wait till the train pulled in. Loaded his bags into the car. Now to find my way back remembering that the car park entrance was in a one way street, so after a few u turns we found the car park entrance. Oh! My! It was tight and only one space left as well. Still the Bear was parked up. Unloaded and checked in. And the hotel had made a mistake in our rooms. Michael stood his ground and eventually it was sorted out.
But before finding our rooms we opted for a pint to settle the dust. The porter offered to take our bags up for us.
£11.36 for 2 pints of beer, just ordinary bitter. Even Michael was shocked, dearer than London prices.

Then to our rooms. And we agreed to meet up for a wander around the town before dinner, eating in the hotel this evening.
Found my room up in the gods. Had to walk up the room to get to the bed but it was downhill to the bathroom. Lovely old OK panels on the walls. Canopy over the bed. Coffee and tea making facilities. All the usual stuff you would find in a top notch hotel.
Had my tea and went and waited for Michael. As per norm he was late, fell asleep. Spent the journey down asleep on the train.
Still we had a nice walk around the town before stumbling across a cute tea room set a square off of the High Street. I do like a cuppa.

Then we found our way up to the church aptly named St. Michael's. Absolutely beautiful best describes it. There is an amazing leaded window that was put in in 1971. A son had the window made and was dedicated to his late Mum and Dad. We had a very uplifting feeling within those hallowed walls. Made me remember a few memories from distance past, happy memories.
We found a watering hole, The Prince of Wales and stopped for a swift half before return g to the hotel for dinner.

To be continued
Excuse the spelling mistakes but using the small ipad.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 13th August 2019, 17:28   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Lovely meal at the hotel.................

........................................ and so it should have been judging by the bill, still the food ate beautifully and the Merlot went down a treat. Dessert was different as well, chargrilled pineapple over meringue with pineapple liqueur. Yummy!. We split up after dinner, Michael went up to his room and I popped out to check on Bear. Tucked up in the car park in the rain.
As I came back I thought I might have a wee malt to round the evening off. Had to have a second to get over the price of the first one.

Slept like a baby till about 6am. Then up and showered, dressed and made some tea. We was meeting for breakfast 08.00-30. I went down at about 08.10 and was surprised to see Michael already seated there. He had already ordered his breakfast. And it arrived whilst he was still eating his cereal. Now Michael likes to talk, and I mean talk. I had my cereal and had eaten my full English and he was still eating his cereal.
On and on he droned about his journey home on Friday, what train he was getting, when it would arrive......................blah! blah!

Even the people on the table behind us were getting bored by his constant talking, I heard the woman say, “why doesn’t he shut up and eat his cold breakfast”. I turned round and said to her, “thank your lucky stars, I’m stuck with him all day”. Michael wanted to know what was being said, I had to be diplomatic in my answer. “I tell you later Michael, now eat your breakfast as we need to be gone soon as they will be serving lunch”. And with that he started eating his breakfast, but he ordered more tea and this was his 4th pot.

Eventually I made my escape saying that I needed the loo. We agreed to meet by the car at 10am. He was late. After he had eaten his breakfast he went to buy a newspaper and decided to have a look in the bookshop on the way back to me.
I had already set the sat nav up for our visit to Hidcote gardens, 40 miles away in Gloucestershire. Now remember we are parked in an enclosed car park, so I left starting the Bear up until he was in the car. Mmmm!!!!! What a noise. But we was away. Tight getting out but we did it ok.

Michael insisted on getting his map out and told me where to go, but I said I’ll let the sat nav guide me. I had to keep telling Michael to lower the map as I could not see out of my n/s mirror. But he still did it. Finally I stopped before joining the M50 and explained if he wanted to keep looking at the map then he would have sit in the back. Result as the map went back into his bag and he finally stopped talking..............................for about 20 minutes. Then out came the map but he kept it low.

Soon thundering our way through the villages till we found the gardens and parked next to Rover 75 Tourer, 3 letters different on the number plate to ours.
Beautiful gardens, would have been better if Michael would stop yapping. Finally I had enough and pulled him to one side and told him what the woman had said at breakfast. He was very annoyed but I explained he had not stopped talking since 08.10 this morning and it was now nearly Noon. And it was getting on my nerves. Supposed to be having a relaxing couple of days.
Well, that finally shut him up..............................for about 20 minutes before he apologised.

Carried on around the gardens in almost total silence, I found I was relaxing a bit and started pointing out the different flowers, most I know the name of. But Michael then started again, this time that the woman at breakfast had no right to talk about him like that. I wandered off and left him rabbiting on. I thought to myself, “if I could borrow a shovel I could bury him somewhere, the judge would take pity on me maybe and I would get a reduced sentence”.
Just my luck he found me before I found the shovel. But he said that he would apologise to the woman in the morning. From then everything returned to normal.

To be continued........................ it’s dinner time, and off to the pub we go.

onen hag oll
Old 13th August 2019, 20:37   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Pork n cider pie...............

.................................... with a jacket potato and minted mushy peas washed down with a couple pints of Robinson’s Flagon cider. Much needed after today. No single malts this evening, early start tomorrow.

So after we left Hidcote gardens we drove back to Toddington to the preserved railway. We are going tomorrow but we wanted to see what was running, and we go past the place on our way back to the hotel. Michael seemed to be in better frame of mind, and I decided to leave best alone.
By the time we got to the railway the dark clouds had gone and the temperature had climbed to 23 degrees.

We checked out the times of the trains for tomorrow and we decided on trying to get on the first one at 10am. Michael said that we could do it ok providing he ate his breakfast quicker than this morning, without talking so much.
We decided on another pot of tea and a bun before wending our way back to the hotel. I said that when we left I would need to get some juice for the Bear.
And with that we left. Stopped just before the M5 and tanked up.

Soon thundering back to the hotel. Took a chance on seeing if there was any space in the car park, and there was. Parked in the same spot as yesterday. We decided to go for a wander before dinner, we was pubbing it tonight. We went back up to the church as I wanted to get a photo of that stunning leaded window I mentioned in yesterday’s report. And we found the heritage centre on our way back. And that was very interesting reading about Ledbury. I knew it was a market town but was unaware of it’s history in jam making. Plus this is where Atora suet came from originally.
Then there was the wool trade, plus the cider making and where the Tilley car was made. That had a short life span.

Back to the hotel to freshen up before dinner. We met up in reception at 7pm and wandered over to the Prince of Wales for dinner.
Very interesting old pub, low ceilings. 2 bars and a smokers beer garden. The bill for our food plus beer came to £30, about the same price as a bottle of Merlot over at the hote.
I was getting tired now, been a long eventful day what with one thing and another.

Let’s hope tomorrow fares better.................................
Note to self, buy a shovel just in case!!!!!!

Many thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 14th August 2019, 18:40   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool No shovel required today....................

.................................................. , well not for what I had in mind. Coal? Yes. Burying a body then no.
Early start this morning on a very special day, well for me anyway. Full English breakfast consumed in near silence, Michael never really said much other than he spoke about Donald Trump but he could see I was not really interested. My mind was elsewhere.

10 years ago today my Val was transferred from the hospital to the nursing home, for where she would stay till the angels came for her. Most of us remember certain dates like anniversaries or birthdays, or when you bought your first car or your last pint. But special dates to me are a bit different like me remembering about today.
Plus today we going to visit The Toddington GWR centre, and it was one of Val’s favourite railway centres, although her all time favourite was the Bluebell Line in Sussex.

So I knew that at some point today the memories would roll down my cheeks. I had explained to Michael this morning about today’s special date.
After breakfast we headed out in the rain towards Toddington. The Bear taking it all in her stride. I knew where to go but let Michael guide me.
We got there early and got our OAP special rate tickets, and boarded. We found a empty corridor carriage and settled down to wait our departure.
Our engine was of the 2087 class, think I have that right, and was built in 1905 as a freight engine. She had 10 carriages to pull up towards Cheltenham race course. And it was still raining, not that it mattered to me. Just the memories mattered.

Our gallant engine pulled us through to the sun shining Cheltenham. We got off and had a wander round before getting back on the train for our journey back to Toddington and then onto Broadway, the sun was out now. Soon we was heading back to our starting point where waiting for us was the 1948 built King Edward the 2nd. She was our push engine as we had a few inclines to go up to get to Broadway. Michael gave me a running report, and I actually listened to him. Masses of info is held between his ears about the various networks that once ran in this country.

To be continued as the pub is calling.

onen hag oll
Old 15th August 2019, 03:21   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool More tea?...................

............................................... Oh! Go on then, seeing as there was a buffet carriage. I declined the chance of some cake but not Michael. We had a nice chat about life on our train trip back to Toddington. Once back on the platform we wandered over to the narrow gauge that runs alongside the main track. Only goes about half a mile but the engine shed is worth a visit where you will find a ex-sugar cane engine that worked it’s socks off in South Africa. Still operational.

Parked behind is a ex-sugar beet engine that hails from Poland, again still up and running. Waiting to be finally to get it’s boiler fitted is a ex-first world war German engine used to carry supplies to the troops.
Also in the sheds are some of the open carriages including the only Wembley carriage know to exist out of the 15 made. Found in a garden in Tewksbury and being used as a garden shed. Now fully restored. Plenty of history including some very rare footage of the carriages been hauled by a tractor.

Either side of the original track, for these carriages were pavements. The engine or tractor that pulled the carriages had it’s rear driving wheels straddling the track. The front wheels of the tractor sat on a bogie on the rails and was coupled to the carriages, could only pull three at a time. This idea was the way forward or so the designers thought. It never caught on hence the demise of the carriages.

After our narrow gauge ride it was back to the cafe for more tea but this time I had some cake, and Michael had some as well. The weather had turned to showers again.
We were off to another National Trust house in the back of beyond in the quaint village of Snowshill close to Broadway. This house is worth a visit being owned by a very eccentric gentleman who collected the most amazing things. I won’t spoil the description but if in the area it is worth a visit, if you can find it.

Then after even more tea we left and drove back to the hotel. Lost our usual parking space but there was plenty of room to park.
To our rooms to freshen up and out to dinner at the Prince of Wales.
Believe it or not but Michael follows in his late fathers footsteps at going to church. Michael like his Dad wanted to go to the Catholic Church in the evening for prayers. So after we had eaten he went off and I stayed in the pub for another cider, and to pay the bill. My turn tonight.

Then I strolled back to the hotel as far as reception where I waited for Michaels return. Once he was back then we ventured around the corner to the Talbot for another pint. Very nice hotel as well, and better prices. Food looked good but limited choice.
After leaving there Michael phoned his daughter, after a brief chat she asked to speak to me. Laura had some very kind words to say about her Aunt, my Val. Cheered me up.
Then Michael and I had a look at the Royal Hall, no idea where the entrance was other than behind those massive gates. Turns out it is a function hall for weddings and such. The hall is on the market for £395,000. Blast I’ve just bought the house.

Then we strolled back past the Royal Oak hotel, bar entrance in the car park. That didn’t stop Michael trying to get in through the locked front door. And onto our hotel. We agreed to meet for breakfast at about 8am. We are off for another stroll down memory lane plus another trip to a National Trust house, nothing like getting your moneys worth.
Now very tired after a very emotional day, so early night for me.

Many thanks for reading, and the pm’s about how to bury a body. I worry about you lot at times. Night night.

onen hag oll
Old 15th August 2019, 21:32   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Well, it had to happen sooner or later....................

................................................we lost the car. Had it been Banana we would have spotted her ok, but alas we could not find the Bear. We was parked on the end, on the tarmac, not on the grass. Being Silver did not help. We walked around the various car parks at Croombe House. Then out of the corner of my eye I spotted a familiar grill. Found her. We was still on the end of the tarmac but two larger cars were now parked on the grass between us and the gate.
Thus that ended a fabulous day at Croombe House.

What an amazing place, fantastic grounds. Beautiful house, which will be even better once they have got the refurbishment done and some furniture in. The church is in fine condition and stands on top of the hill overlooking the estate.
Capillarity Brown laid out the fabulous lake, which fooled us as we thought it was a river, but no it is a lake that twists and turns through the estate.
There is a beautiful Chinese style bridge over part of the lake.

But for me the icing on the cake had to be the unknown RAF base that was there. RAF Derriford, home of the radar spotters. An operational base which at one point housed over 3000 staff. The Radar for spotting U-Boats was pioneered here. Plus in 1945 the first automatic landing happened for aircraft. Wellingtons, Lancaster’s, Mosquitoes, Spitfires and Hurricanes flew from here. There was also quite a few unknown aircraft that took part in the various trials.

After WW11 the jet age arrived but the end of the base was on the cards. It kept going till it ceased to be an operational base in 1957. It continued up to 1981 as a supply base, but that was it. Over and done with. A few of the RAF buildings are still there, the NAAFI is now the restaurant, the ambulance station now houses a Canberra cockpit. A former Canberra pilot now works in the museum.
The medical centre is now the National Trust entrance.

We stopped for tea, and a bun. We had been there for nearly 5 hours, so much to see. Very enjoyable and well recommended to visit.
We then went in search of the Bear. Once finally found and loaded up we set off back to the hotel via the scenic route via the Malvern Hills. Again the weather had been kind. Lots of sun and very few clouds.
We got back to the hotel car park and squeezed into a space close to the wall. Unloaded the car, she is still quite clean but will be treated to a thorough clean once home.

We arranged to meet in reception at 4.45pm and head across to the tea room we had found tucked away in Ledbury. Off we set, the weather had turned warmer so no coats were needed. I still had my camera with me though.
But our tea shop was closed. So we headed to another one we had seen earlier in the week, but that was on the point of closing at 5.30pm. Michael wanted to argue the toss with the owner as it was only 5.29pm so therefore still technically open. I chose to ignore and carried on walking, but not Michael. No, he had to argue but the owner then said it is now 5.32pm and I’m now closed.

We carried on walking till we came across an ice cream parlour that sold hot drinks, but our luck was out yet again as on the door their was a notice politely explaining that they had no hot water and was waiting on the water engineers to come out. But that still did not stop Michael as he now wanted to have a look inside. But what was the point ? I asked. “cake” replied Michael. He had seen some ice cream citrus cake and he wanted some. So just to keep the peace I bought him a slice.
By now I was wishing I had bought that shovel. As he was now getting on my nerves again.

The staff put the cake into a take away box for him. Michael was surprised that I did not have any cake, I was hoping he was going to offer me some of his. But no chance, although I did make a comment about it but it fell on deaf ears.
We sat on a bench outside whilst he scoffed the cake. But I got up and wandered off to look in a shop window. Basically I was counting to ten, slowly and under my breath.
Shame the iron mongers was shut as they had some shovels on show.
Not even a thank you from him. But that was soon rectified by me making another comment about not only did I buy him the cake but I got no offer to try some.

After the grovelling apology he bought me a cider in the Prince of Wales pub.
After I had calmed down we sat in silence whilst we drank the Mortimer cider. Nearly six per cent. Would have had another one but we had a table booked at the hotel at 7pm for our evening meal.
We arranged to meet in reception at 7pm for dinner. Guess who was late? Guess the reason?
The remote control on the telly would not switch the telly off. He had to go and report it at the desk. Why not just turn the on/off off. No he had not thought of that.

Well, dinner was different as they stuck us down by the back door and forgot about us. The waiter finally appeared and took our order for starters, mains and the wine.
He managed to muck, (there are better words to use but the swear filter will kick in, but just use your imagination), up the entire order. We got the wrong starters, they were meant for another table. Instead of getting a bottle of Merlot we got 2 pints of Lager. We complained and the waiter was never seen again.
No doubt someone else had bought a shovel, hopefully.

Got the right starters, then the wine and finally our dinners except mine was wrong. I wanted the saddle of lamb but got a veggie burger. How on earth could they get that wrong. Then the duty manager appeared with another bottle of Merlot for us to drink. No charge for the meal. My veggie burger was taken away, and replaced it a piece of sirloin steak.
Still at least it ate ok. By now neither of us were very happy with the service. But the meal was free and we had a 2nd bottle of wine to drink.

Homeward bound tomorrow and I cannot wait to go. This will be the last time I go away with Michael. I’ll even consider not stopping with him as, and, when I travel up to London, which will not be that often now.

But thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 16th August 2019, 05:42   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Homeward bound today..........

............................................ so be leaving about Noon.
Michael is catching the 12-17 train to Paddington, I said I would drop him back to the station. I can top up theBears tank at the Esso station close by, that will get me home.

So should you see a Silver ZTT hurtling along don’t forget to wave, toot or flash us.

onen hag oll
Old 16th August 2019, 16:07   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Horrendous journey home.....................

......................................... through the torrential rain, but the Bear never missed a beat over the 180 miles home. We had both front and rear fog lights on but the amount of vehicles that had no lights on was frightening. The amount of people that just think that their DRL’s at the front is enough is also frightening.
Still the Bear kept me safe and we still have ‘alf a tank left.

After breakfast this morning we went for walk around the bookshops in Ledbury, and I actually bought a book, “Ten squadrons of Hurricanes”. Looks interesting, love any stories to do with the Hawker Hurricane.
Time for a cuppa before we made our way back to the car. We had already loaded the Bear up. Then I was dropping Michael off at the station. Once done I returned to the petrol station and topped up the tank for the journey home.

TOTAL MILEAGE COVERED. 549 miles.
No oil or water used.
MPG. Oh! The noise.

Many thanks for reading. Will post up a few photo’s later on.

onen hag oll
Old 16th August 2019, 17:59   #10
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Was good to hear you had a trouble free journey and week away car wise,not sure about the human type lol lol