Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2017, 16:10   #1
bilzin
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V6 Connoisseur

Default Front Spring Failure

I'd just driven down from Coventry and upon returning to 'Ruby' after a brief rest, when I started to reverse from my drive I heard an awful bang from the front end, and after having the car recovered to my fave garage, I was told that the F/O/S spring had broken and taken a couple of other parts with it.
I'm having it repaired (reasonable at 300) but my question is......

Does this happen to 75s often and should I have both front springs replaced whilst they have it on the ramp ?

Thanks Bill
Old 6th December 2017, 16:30   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Hi Bill, it's advisable to change springs in pairs. I have had 1 spring go in 3years ownership so I wouldn't say often and it's not just our cars that suffer. There are protectors that can be fitted under the spring to prevent damage if it snaps, not sure who has them though. Lee.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:30   #3
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

I had my drivers side spring break in September after moving it from being on SORN. Managed to get it to a repair garage near Ledbury who confirmed the problem and said the top mount strut also needed replacing which was all done inc. parts for £188. – which seemed reasonable?
The other side was left unchanged.
Nothing then or since suggests that both need replacing at the same time.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable might confirm whether that's a good idea or not?
Old 6th December 2017, 17:35   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Tyre protectors were on a to do list from MGR as a safety precaution.
As these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Rover-...sAAOSwh2xYBnPK
Old 6th December 2017, 17:55   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

That is unlucky, it does happen, and as suggested not just to Rovers. Lucky that you were off the road I think.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 20:14   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Tyre protectors were on a to do list from MGR as a safety precaution.
As these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Rover-...sAAOSwh2xYBnPK

One of the first things I bought when I got my 75 about 2 years ago - only got round to fitting them this summer though.

Simple to fit once you have the car jacked up and the wheel off about 10 mins a side.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 20:36   #7
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

As already mentioned - the 75's are not the only cars that suffer spring breakages.. it happens on all makes of modern cars. We just hear about it on our cars more due to the forum..

and as far as replacing in pairs.. up to you.. some say you should.. some not..

and I don't under normal circumstances.... that's just me though..

I will say that "normally" the top bearing and/or the isolator normally need changing after a spring snaps. That's what I have found when doing my cars..

Kev

Last edited by kbonney88; 6th December 2017 at 20:39..
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 20:46   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Front coil springs on our cars to fail from time to time in fact in the three cars that I run I have replaced a coilspring on each one in under three years so that’s three springs in three years, so I would suggest that the fail rate is reasonable, when compared to other makes and models, however with our cars we can put tyre protectors on to protect the tyre from the coil spring snapping and popping the tyre, protectors are quite important as you don’t want a coilspring going through the car tire whilst you’re driving

I’d always recommend to replace suspension and braking components on both sides of the same axle at the same time, wherever possible. (Well that’s what I do)

Both will currently be the same age - if one has failed, it is likely that the other is in a similar condition and so could easily fail soon. In the case of springs, the constant flexing of the metal can eventually lead to fatigue, which is presumably the cause of the first failure - the other spring will be similarly fatigued. Similar arguments apply to other components such as shocks and bushes, which all wear out over time.

Additionally I suspect that the spring rate will change over time and use, so a new spring would be slightly harder than the old one - if that is the case then it would or could result in uneven handling, which would be very dangerous. This is certainly the case with shock absorbers, which lose their damping ability as they wear.
Oh and top mounts, don’t even get me started on them.. little rock side to side with the steering wheel and once they are past their best you’ll be getting knock knock who’s there? oh it’s me the top mount and I need changing

These are only my opinions based on my experience as a user of these vehicles and as a dismantler.
People are free to make their own decisions, however I would always recommend doing a job right first time rather than doing a job over and over
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 22:18   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Some good advise there. I personally would get them done in pairs too. Both my rear ones went last year and got them both replaced at the same time. One front end went this year which has been replaced. One more to do which I hope to get done very soon. And spring protectors is a must so get these fitted. They can be bought new from Rimmers I believe and they’re not expensive.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 22:38   #10
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Oh and top mounts, don’t even get me started on them.. little rock side to side with the steering wheel and once they are past their best you’ll be getting knock knock who’s there? oh it’s me the top mount and I need changing

These are only my opinions based on my experience as a user of these vehicles and as a dismantler.
People are free to make their own decisions, however I would always recommend doing a job right first time rather than doing a job over and over
Mick
What exactly are these top mounts - bearings?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote