Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th November 2017, 15:18   #11
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
I was giving honest advice don't make me out to be a moron. All of the above from eurocarparts with a 33% discount comes to £147.62, I've just done it to prove a point. So yes you can and yes I have. That's oil and filter, HG, water pump, timing belt kit, bolts 5l of conc antifreeze. I did miss the inlet gasket out though.

Granted I'd not personally fit all those brand of parts but some for example head bolts don't necessarily need replacing.

I'd rather use some other brands in the mix but it can be done.
Yip.....I know someone else who's managed to replace a head gasket with no further issues for around the figure you quoted..........
Old 7th November 2017, 15:40   #12
gary t
Loves to post

rover 75 connoisseur se v6

Default were

what part of this green and pleasant land is the 18 t in ?
gary t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 15:49   #13
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minariman View Post
Hi,
I am going to look at a 2005 (2006 reg) SE 1.8T tomorrow. Is the head gasket going to be the same type as the originals or were they uprated to Freelander spec by then?
Colin.
At the end of the day Colin, have a look at the car. look at the price. And just because its a K series it doesn't mean the head gasket is going to go straight after you buy it. check it over....

If you are happy with it then make a decision. and in the future if the headgasket goes, well it goes..

Headgaskets go on all cars not just Rovers. Then get it repaired, its not a massive job and not that costly. so, dont worry..

Remember - When buying a 75 you are buying a great car so well worth the risk of future problems. Our family runs 8x 75's...

and yes - you can do a headgasket for under £150 properly..

Kev

Last edited by kbonney88; 7th November 2017 at 15:51..
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 20:09   #14
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilSteve View Post
Easier to just purchase a BW750 elastomer gasket. No worries about uneven liners etc then.

Headbolts might be reusable. Yes they should be replaced but you can check they're still within tolerances and much better than cheap ones that'll snap (experienced this before)

Skimming not needed if head is flat

Oil rail unlikely to need swapping out
Good advice. Payen BW750 every time regardless of liner height and I can’t remember the last time I had to change the bolts

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 20:49   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Good advice. Payen BW750 every time regardless of liner height and I can’t remember the last time I had to change the bolts
I have yet to find a K series head bolt that is not fit for further service, and I've done more than my fair share of top end overhauls on these engines.

The only deviation from spec I strictly adhere to is the use of OAT antifreeze, and 370,000 miles on one headgasket is my record to date, all with Unipart Super Cool Blue

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 21:05   #16
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Default Is a 2005 SE 1.8T 's head gasket going to be OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I have yet to find a K series head bolt that is not fit for further service, and I've done more than my fair share of top end overhauls on these engines.

The only deviation from spec I strictly adhere to is the use of OAT antifreeze, and 370,000 miles on one headgasket is my record to date, all with Unipart Super Cool Blue

Brian

Totally agree with Brian... on all counts

Head bolts can normally be used 3 or 4 times, depending on torque. It used to be practice to put a punch mark on top of bolt each time it was reused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote