Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th August 2013, 14:44   #1
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Default MAF cleaner.

Hi all,
My cdt lost power coming home from work yesterday. Had a quick search on here and the Maf sensor soon became the chief suspect . I unplugged it and "bingo" ! All was fine again.
Whilst doing the search, cleaning the Maf could be on option rather than buying a new one, provided I use the correct cleaner. I couldn't find what the "correct " cleaner is. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what cleaner I should try ? Hope someone can Help.

Regards Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 14:52   #2
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by muey View Post
Hi all,
My cdt lost power coming home from work yesterday. Had a quick search on here and the Maf sensor soon became the chief suspect . I unplugged it and "bingo" ! All was fine again.
Whilst doing the search, cleaning the Maf could be on option rather than buying a new one, provided I use the correct cleaner. I couldn't find what the "correct " cleaner is. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what cleaner I should try ? Hope someone can Help.

Regards Mark
Either something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRC-AIR-SE...586#vi-content

or a good contact cleaner http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255223

Just stay away from carb cleaner as it will leave a residu and rather than cleaning the MAF you'll make it worse
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 15:16   #3
muey
Loves to post

Thanks Vmax. A trip to Halfords tomorrow for me then. Thanks for the swift reply. Watch this space and will post up the results of cleaning the Maf . Polly (my car) is running fine with the maf unplugged but will give cleaning it a go.

Regards Mark.
Old 17th August 2013, 16:20   #4
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

IPA 170 from Maplins worked for me, standard electrical cleaner did not.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 16:58   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
IPA 170 from Maplins worked for me, standard electrical cleaner did not.
you beat me to it, I was just going to suggest that, a litre tin from Maplins will cost you about a fiver. IPA = Isopranol Alcohol.
Old 17th August 2013, 17:02   #6
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Weird, as the cleaner from Halfords contains the same amount of Isopranol Alcohol as IPA 170
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 17:10   #7
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

The one I used was a cheap contact cleaner, if it contains Isopranol Alcohol in the same amounts it must work.

Just to add these will only work on a dirty MAF as apposed to a damaged one.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 17:14   #8
muey
Loves to post

Thanks Spyder & RPWC. We use ipa at work in an ultrasonic tank. If Halfords spray doesn't work, will try the ultrasonic tank. Worst case scenario is a new Maf so willing to try all suggestions.

Regards Mark
Old 18th August 2013, 16:30   #9
muey
Loves to post

Hi VMax, spder, rpwc.
I havn't had chance to do anything today. On Our hols to Turkey in 2 weeks and weather here this morning ruled out a visit to Halfords because I don't have a garage ! Spent today sorting suitcases out etc and calculating funds, My wife ,Joanna , at short notice was in Australia for 2 weeks for her sister's graduation as a Doctor of summat or other. She was in Brisbane and did all the whale watching trips and basically fitted a month into a fortnight........ then missed her flight home ! As a a result and £875 ish later, funds are also tight. When she got home, she got a 3 minute telling off swiftly followed by a big hug !
Reading advice on here, Polly will be fine for a couple of weeks with an unplugged Maf. Our hol is all inc so will have some spare pennies when we come home.
Once again, Thanks for your help and advice and I will post up results of the cleaning attempts and/or replacement results.

Regards Mark
Old 18th August 2013, 16:52   #10
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Your car will be fine for more than a few weeks. I have run mine with the MAF unplugged for about 10k miles now. It runs fine and pulls well. Average mpg = 47.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote