Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th February 2019, 11:25   #11
wullie480
This is my second home

Insignia VX-Line & Insignia tourer

Removed mine from the old zt this morning.
I made some wooden packets which were bonded onto the fascia and then used brackets I had lying around to fix the head unit to the fascia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th February 2019, 13:46   #12
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,172 Posts
Thumbs up Ways and means and all that.

Ingenious wulli480 ~ ways and means and all that.

May have to deploy something like that when my 75/ZT Fascia arrives ... we shall see.

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 18:15   #13
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190+ Xpower Grey

I respect the work Wulli has put in to his construction but I would get a cage so you can easily place and remove the unit (quite handy in the first few weeks of using your unit ). A bit more expensive maybe but a lot easier to fit in the fascia/surround

Sjonnie

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 Xpower Grey
MG F 1.8i MK2 in Anthracite
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Executive Sport in Emerald Green
ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. -
Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 13:35   #14
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Some people have found that you might need to cut away some of the sound insulation. These units have all needed some fettling to get in.

One of the problems is making sure the unit is angled correctly to stop light reflection.

I had to shave some plastic off the surround to make sure I had the right angle.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daveluck For This Useful Post:
Old 13th February 2019, 19:40   #15
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up Some progress... looking better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Some people have found that you might need to cut away some of the sound insulation. These units have all needed some fettling to get in.

One of the problems is making sure the unit is angled correctly to stop light reflection.

I had to shave some plastic off the surround to make sure I had the right angle.
Thanks Dave,

Removed the single DIN Fascia and had a first close look at what goes on behind it. I'm encouraged by what I saw. Plenty of clearance for when the £14.34p DD Fascia arrives which could be tomorrow. There's a supporting bracket at the back which almost certainly will support the DD Unit effectively.

Meantime, I dived into my favourite local scrapyard and two latish Vauxhall Vectras provided a couple of nice DD-Cages. Three quid for the pair. Which fit the Unit perfectly as these images show :~

I offered a cage up to the removed single DIN fascia and if the DD fascia is the same sizes, I do not see much problem with the fitting. Remains to be seen …

Also THREE male-female Antenna connectors arrived... 99p posted from ebay. Good grief... would have thought not worth the bother. Anyway one of them was an ideal fit so a simple test gave good radio reception and the CD played well too. Now have two spares... they will come in handy one day... things like that always do... one day...

Old 14th February 2019, 07:00   #16
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Looking forward to the next update on this as I still have mine just shoved into place with no cage, can I ask with this same unit did we all fit them and then fit the surround or fit the surround then push the unit from the front in
Old 14th February 2019, 17:08   #17
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up Fitted up and running fine.

The DD Fascia surround arrived 9 am this morning:~

I was pleased to find a support bracket for the single DIN Unit would also support the DD one. :~

A trial fit was very tight which would make removal from the car difficult. Thus best to use a small file to take away some of the tightness... not much and it did the trick. Removal although still tight now possible :~

DD Fascia in place :~

Only one self-tapper screw available so someone had been here before me. Fortunately, I had a couple of spares. :~

I believe better to insert Unit with DD Fascia secured with its screws in place :~

All connected and fitted. Up and running nicely :~

Went for a few miles including running over a few "speed humps" and unit performed very well. Nice clarity and that is appreciated by my old lugs which have taken a lot of noise bashing over the years …

So I am able to get all my favourite Radio Stations and play a SINGLE CD … so the 6 CD Multichanger in the load space is redundant … or can it be made to play with this DD Unit?

Happy with things so far. One or two loose ends to be addressed but, those will be for another day. Hope that day's weather will be a nice as this one's was. Really a superb reminder that my favourite time of year, Spring is not so far away now... Meantime, still a bit nippy once that old Sun goes down behind the nearby Hills so then it's still I'll time.

I find the Chinese-English translation in the scant literature the unit came with more than a challenge. There are a range of other attractive features available with this unit which I would like to get up and running too. Here any pointers or guidance from those "been there, done that" will be greatly appreciated.

============== EDIT TO ADD @ 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Looking forward to the next update on this as I still have mine just shoved into place with no cage, can I ask with this same unit did we all fit them and then fit the surround or fit the surround then push the unit from the front in
In the final event, I did not use a cage... seems OK as is and that rear support bracket helps here.

Last edited by MGJohn; 14th February 2019 at 17:13..
The Following User Says Thank You to MGJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2019, 18:44   #18
Robti
Posted a thing or two

Can I ask what the self tapper was for ?
Old 14th February 2019, 18:57   #19
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Can I ask what the self tapper was for ?
Look at the first picture on my previous post. You will see a couple of Lug-Brackets at the top of either end of the Fascia with holes in each. That is for the self tappers which locate the Fascia securely against the main body of the Dash assembly.

If still present, you will get a better visual on those if the "Eyelid" above the DD Unit is removed... it is also secured by two self tappers. I used a rear view mirror placed below to see them. Then without the mirror, you will need to look upwards and under the "Eyelid" cover location. If still there, one of mine was missing, to see those screws and/or the metal clips as in another of my images earlier

Old 14th February 2019, 19:00   #20
Robti
Posted a thing or two

hi so they are to screw the new DD facia onto the dash(hope I got this right I have been trying to fit my unit first then the DD facia?
Thanks