Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th February 2016, 20:57   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default 9/11 - The Diversions

The horrors of 9/11 are pretty familiar to us all, aircraft used as missiles, horrific, the aftermath catastrophic; to me one of the lesser known facts is what did they do with the aircraft in the air and on way to New York and America which had to divert when the U.S. airspace was immediately closed.

I just watched a film called "9/11 Diverted" and it is about the people of Gander who opened their doors and town to the 6700 passengers of 39 diverted aircraft (with some poetic licence).
Then I checked on the stories and facts of the days, and this was interesting....
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/diverted-planes/
An interesting picture from Halifax airport in a similar predicament, where parking was very methodical....
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 21:13   #2
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

We flew out to vegas for our Anniversary on the 18th Sept,

When we got to McCarran Our Virgin atlantic jumbo was the only plane there on the tarmac..

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 21:26   #3
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Thanks for the link, I was at home on 9/11 listening to Steve Wright, heard him say unconfirmed reports that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. Couldn't believe it so switched on TV, just as live broadcasts came through. Like so many, I thought it was a terrible accident, until I saw the second tower being hit.

Having previously been to the top of one of the towers, my long term thoughts have been, sorrow for the victims and somewhat selfishly, thank God it didn't happen when I was there.

So up until now, never given a thought to what happened to all the planes heading for JFK and other U.S. airports.

So many thanks for posting this informative link.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 22:15   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

What an amazing photo with some remarkable stories behind the scenes.

I remember the day well, I was working in a cold store and called round to the office to get the next picking list for loading.
What I saw on the PC screen I thought was the IT manager watching a movie.
Sadly it was no movie.

The whole World changed that day.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 00:11   #5
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

We were actually in Los Angeles staying with friends when it happened. It was about 06:30ish in LA when our friend came bursting into our room saying that a plane had gone into the towers. I mumbled something about it still being there in the morning however Mrs Guru insisted we got up which we did just in time to see the second one go in
It was a very strange day to say the least, the Americans love their flags at the best of times but that day the stars and stripes were everywhere. We couldn't make calls to other states let alone back to England and the Internet slowed to just a crawl.

Later that week we took a drive up to Pismo beach and stayed there overnight. Sitting round the pool we got chatting to a couple of NY firefighters who were very worried about their colleagues, sadly quite possibly with good reason.

We ended up having to stay a few days longer then planned however we did manage to get one of the first flights out of LAX. Security in some respects was insane but in others still quite lacking compared to now. Certainly a day I won't forget in a hurry.
Old 26th February 2016, 04:20   #6
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
What I saw on the PC screen I thought was the IT manager watching a movie. Sadly it was no movie.
I too thought that it was a movie or some kind of advertising stunt when I first saw it. The reality which unfolded sickened me and none more so than the images of glee which were flashed around the world from certain parts of it at that time.

Halifax Nova Scotia, Gander and Goose I have fond memories of and those memories pre-date the subject event. Well done they and all others for there efforts and compassion.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 05:25   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Excellent link - I remember watching a film on this a while back.

I too heard the initial reports on the radio whilst driving. At that stage it was thought that "a light aircraft had hit one of the Twin Towers".

I then called into a Motor Factors to pick up a part for my old Range Rover and they had a TV on and we saw the horrific reality.

By coincidence - as Bill Turnbull leaves BBC Breakfast this morning - as I type there is a review of the Lockerbie atrocity as he covered it for the BBC.

Makes you think what it will take to stop these attacks on innocent civilians.....
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 06:35   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

There are several mentions of a documentary done by Tom Brokaw originally aired on February 27, 2010, as part of NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Olympics, the content of which is the basis of the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbx...ature=youtu.be
Old 26th February 2016, 10:34   #9
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Whilst the images will never leave us the one image i remember most is that of a security man whispering in Dubya's ear what had happened.

Bush just sat there looking for all the world like a lost wee boy .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 11:21   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Whilst the images will never leave us the one image i remember most is that of a security man whispering in Dubya's ear what had happened.

Bush just sat there looking for all the world like a lost wee boy .
Can you imagine what must have gone through his mind? regardless of what one thinks/thought of him, his position called for some rapid thinking.