Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th July 2011, 21:25   #31
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyp View Post
Add to all of that the fact that the horror Scotchloc only works by cutting through some of the strands of the wire, thereby reducing it's current carrying capacity. They are hideous and should be outlawed.

Ah.... I think i know what you mean now.... We have some pond lights that have 2 spikes that are trapped to the wire thus piercing it.. Or is supposed to... Always going on and off.... Same thing.?
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:27   #32
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark d3 View Post
crimps aluminium ,wires copper neither should be in a damp environment anyway,sorry poppy i have now totally forgotten what your threads about scotch locks will work if assembled correctly the aluminium v copper v electrolytic corrosion wont matter in the least,they are not likely to get wet end of argument but crimping is a far better way of doing things i was just looking at ways around your problem of not owning a crimping tool

Hiya Mark... Well, by what I have read, and what starman did in his brilliant how to... I shall be going for the crimping method me thinks...
Old 7th July 2011, 21:59   #33
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Well this thread moved on while I was walking the dog and putting the kids to bed....or was it the other way around? ... Man flu has struck me down so I'm a lil confuzzled

To scotchloc or not to scotchloc...whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the effects of galvanic corrosion, OR to bide thy time to buy a crimping tool, and together, have a better connection for your Marmite!

Scotchlocs are a pain in the pooper to be true. Sometimes they are all you can use due to space, and or access. Rover supply a version of them in the TrafficMaster upgrade kit to go behind the dash. Ok they are of better quality. But many Scotchlocs are sold. Many are used, but as many have found do not replace a good old fashioned crimp.
Mind you I crimped my drivers side so tight it cut through the LED wire, so work that one out!!

Again it's what YOU are happy to use vs personal skill, monies, space and time.

If I had the choice and time, crimp.....if I was eager to use whatever I had including an Easter egg wrapper and blue tack, I'd use it if it was enough to get a result...
Temporarily like

Poppy you reference re garden spike and a scotchloc is bang on!

Regards. Steve.

Last edited by Starman; 7th July 2011 at 22:03..
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 22:01   #34
jontyp
Avid contributor

ZT CDTi

Crimps are much better than scotchlocs. Trouble with scotchlocs is mainly that you only get edge/point contact between mated parts, and that can break down. An even better way is soldered splice connections which are really easy to do with basic soldering tools.
Anyway, we've kind of knocked the back out of this topic . Go with crimps.
Jonathan
jontyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 22:19   #35
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
Well this thread moved on while I was walking the dog and putting the kids to bed....or was it the other way around? ... Man flu has struck me down so I'm a lil confuzzled

To scotchloc or not to scotchloc...whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the effects of galvanic corrosion, OR to bide thy time to buy a crimping tool, and together, have a better connection for your Marmite!

Scotchlocs are a pain in the pooper to be true. Sometimes they are all you can use due to space, and or access. Rover supply a version of them in the TrafficMaster upgrade kit to go behind the dash. Ok they are of better quality. But many Scotchlocs are sold. Many are used, but as many have found do not replace a good old fashioned crimp.
Mind you I crimped my drivers side so tight it cut through the LED wire, so work that one out!!

Again it's what YOU are happy to use vs personal skill, monies, space and time.

If I had the choice and time, crimp.....if I was eager to use whatever I had including an Easter egg wrapper and blue tack, I'd use it if it was enough to get a result...
Temporarily like

Poppy you reference re garden spike and a scotchloc is bang on!

Regards. Steve.
Hiya Everyone.. Wow, to crimp or not to crimp.. that is.... . Well, Steve, I have tried my bodge job in the dark and WOWEE... IMPRESSED... I think that i am going for two led in each door... Have not chamfered them off as you have done yet, but i LOVE the look.... What ever made you think of doing that.? I cannot wait until all 4 doors are done properly... A £4 mod..... Who ever would have thought of it... lol. ( Well, apart from your good self that is.) lol. Poppy.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:20   #36
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Anyone for SOLDER ?????
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 22:21   #37
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Anyone for SOLDER ?????

AND, WHERE MAY I ASK HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING JOHN.??
Old 7th July 2011, 22:40   #38
Starman
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Hiya Everyone.. Wow, to crimp or not to crimp.. that is.... . Well, Steve, I have tried my bodge job in the dark and WOWEE... IMPRESSED... I think that i am going for two led in each door... Have not chamfered them off as you have done yet, but i LOVE the look.... What ever made you think of doing that.? I cannot wait until all 4 doors are done properly... A £4 mod..... Who ever would have thought of it... lol. ( Well, apart from your good self that is.) lol. Poppy.
Cheers Poppy. You know it was an accident this came about. I got the idea after the puddle lights I installed made a nice subtle lighting effect in the rear when the doors were closed. I was thinking of putting an orange LED in the roof light just to be quirky anyway and then it hit me! Wires in doors already in place and wired exactly right. What better! And I love reflected concealed lights.
I'm working on the footwells and recessed LEDs in the door opener scallops now.

I like this for the rear....

Oh once you start........

Regards. Steve.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:42   #39
Starman
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Anyone for SOLDER ?????
John....that's when I melt things... The wrong things....

Regards. Steve.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:24   #40
jontyp
Avid contributor

ZT CDTi

Quote:
Anyone for SOLDER ?????
AHEM

I said
Quote:
An even better way is soldered splice connections which are really easy to do with basic soldering tools
It's alright, I'm not upset
jontyp is offline   Reply With Quote