Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th March 2013, 16:48   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Drop links How long should they last ?

On our diesel which we have owned since new and is well maintained by myself I replaced the front drop links at approx 109,000 miles.
As it was a high mileage and with thoughts about the car possibly being replaced I used after market ones costing just over £31
Some five months later and with approx 3,000 miles added they were completely shot so I replaced them with the "proper OE" ones costing about £66 The company refunded the price on the original after market ones.

So far so good until this week

With the car now at 122,000 miles, in other words 10,000 miles since the "OE" ones were fitted, today on inspecting a rattle from the from suspension I have found that the drop links are again completely shot with the top joint gone.

At the same time my V6 which I have owned for two years now and have covered 13,000 miles the car with a total of 49,000 miles since new and it still has the original drop links.

Obviously the drop links fitted at the factory are of a much better quality than the so called OE parts replacements.

Bearing in mind that my diesel was off the road for 4 months last year undergoing a full suspension overhaul the operational time of the drop links fitted has been just around 12 months although by date since purchase it is 16 months.

I have today spoken with the supplier whom I spend rather a lot of money with purchasing all my MG Rover parts to see what can be done.
I will wait with anticipation that at least they can meet me somewhere in the middle regarding further replacements.

At the end of the day "genuine parts" should last more than 10,000 miles

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 16:52   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
On our diesel which we have owned since new and is well maintained by myself I replaced the front drop links at approx 109,000 miles.
As it was a high mileage and with thoughts about the car possibly being replaced I used after market ones costing just over £31
Some five months later and with approx 3,000 miles added they were completely shot so I replaced them with the "proper OE" ones costing about £66 The company refunded the price on the original after market ones.

So far so good until this week

With the car now at 122,000 miles, in other words 10,000 miles since the "OE" ones were fitted, today on inspecting a rattle from the from suspension I have found that the drop links are again completely shot with the top joint gone.

At the same time my V6 which I have owned for two years now and have covered 13,000 miles the car with a total of 49,000 miles since new and it still has the original drop links.

Obviously the drop links fitted at the factory are of a much better quality than the so called OE parts replacements.

Bearing in mind that my diesel was off the road for 4 months last year undergoing a full suspension overhaul the operational time of the drop links fitted has been just around 12 months although by date since purchase it is 16 months.

I have today spoken with the supplier whom I spend rather a lot of money with purchasing all my MG Rover parts to see what can be done.
I will wait with anticipation that at least they can meet me somewhere in the middle regarding further replacements.

At the end of the day "genuine parts" should last more than 10,000 miles

JYJ
years and years ... there must be something wrong else where with the suspension and the drop links are taking a bashing .the drop links are just one conponent of the suspension system
Old 6th March 2013, 17:11   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
years and years ... there must be something wrong else where with the suspension and the drop links are taking a bashing .the drop links are just one conponent of the suspension system
Dont get me started on droplinks, just changed both sides on SWMBO's Freelander Delphi make, lasted about 10k miles, Rattling fit. Have now fitted genuine LR, so we will see how long they last.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 17:15   #4
Goodtimegaz
Avid contributor

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Dont get me started on droplinks, just changed both sides on SWMBO's Freelander Delphi make, lasted about 10k miles, Rattling fit. Have now fitted genuine LR, so we will see how long they last.
I bought the cheapies off the bay, shot after 3k
Gaz
Goodtimegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 17:17   #5
myrover2013
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE in copper leaf red

any pictures of these drop links
myrover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 22:18   #6
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrover2013 View Post
any pictures of these drop links

Here's a link to the work I did just last year. The car was off the road for 4 months. The links were checked then and were fine but they were re painted as new.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=111878

I now wish I had stripped off the rubbers to re pack them with grease but with them being almost new at the time I didn't think it was neccesary.

JYJ
Old 7th March 2013, 10:01   #7
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

on about set number 4 oem ones lasted 90k unipart ones around a quater of that .next set fitted last year are now banging again this after around 8k.managed to get some oem ones from b.o.b.thanks to dave stocks which will time and weather permitting be fitted nxt week.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:28   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

After a nice phone call to the suppliers, "Rimmer Bros" they have kindly agreed to replace mine with a new set of aftermarket ones.

I reckon that's not bad considering my OE ones were purchased back in October 2011 so they're out of the 12 month warranty, even if they did only cover 10,000 miles.

When they arrive I think I will have a good look at them to see just how much grease is packed in them, also when I remove the duff OE ones they will also come under the same scrutiny.

In the meantime thank you Rimmers.

JYJ
Old 9th March 2013, 08:29   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I am beginning to think that's where the rattle on my 75 is coming from, the ones I got came from Ebay and haven't even done 3000 miles.
Mind you Jim and myself stay in Ayrshire and the roads are awful
Old 13th March 2013, 11:40   #10
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

As promised the new aftermarket drop links arrived FOC from Rimmers.

I decided to have an investigation just how much grease there would be in the joints and found this.

Absolutely none !

Now I may be just a bit fussy but I really do think some grease should be in these joints instead of just a smear of oily substance, even if it's just to keep the moisture and grit away from the bearing surfaces.

I did a further inspection on the OE ones fitted to the diesel and I can see that the top of the rubber seal although it is clipped onto the strut it can move about a bit and shows some rusty substance underneath.

When I do replace these links I will pack them with grease and on removing the "old" OE ones I will carry out a further inspection just to see how much grease is packed in them.

I will be monitoring the new ones fitted as to what mileage I get from them as opposed to the previous two sets.

On a happier note my V6 passed its' MOT with flying colours yesterday
with the front discs it failed on last year still fitted.

JYJ