Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2013, 16:09   #11
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click4 View Post
Looks like a good buy! Will buy one myself I think lol

They are handy to have around and I don't presently have one, sometimes u doing nuts can be quite stubborn work.

Really don't know why garages love doing things up though with these kinda things good for undoing but a torque wrench is for doing up and most manufacturers state a torque figure for almost every bolt and nut on the car, so no excuse really.

Ed china on wheeler dealers keeps using an airgun on wheel nuts, setting a bad example... But then again also saw him on last episode showing people how to do something extremely dangerous which was sticking an injector inside a plastic bottle! The pressures involved there are massive and if the bottle slipped off and diesel sprayed onto the skin or in an eye it would blind or cause serious injury. Certainly something which shouldn't be shown on tv pretty sure health and safety would also have something to say about it.. That's not how to test diesel injectors.
Mr China does seem to love his air gun, although on the DB7 it wasn't used to get the wheels on..........

As far as testing the injector goes, it's not as bad as it seems. Pressure after the injector is not that high and the fuel mist got caught in the bottle. I tested petrol injectors that way
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 16:19   #12
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I remember being told at college that the mist was so fine and under such pressure it would penetrate flesh and cause serious problems.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 16:21   #13
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
I remember being told at college that the mist was so fine and under such pressure it would penetrate flesh and cause serious problems.
Only when close to the nozzle. A few inches away and the pressure is far less
Old 9th March 2013, 16:26   #14
Click4
Loves to post

None at the moment

It's still not something that should be shown on tv, the safer way would of been to remove the suspect injector, put in the known working injector and see if it still misfired and logged an error code.

If it did, well he knew injector was good, so that only leaves wiring.
Click4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 16:32   #15
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click4 View Post
It's still not something that should be shown on tv, the safer way would of been to remove the suspect injector, put in the known working injector and see if it still misfired and logged an error code.

If it did, well he knew injector was good, so that only leaves wiring.
There are far worse things that are shown on tv. A few simple, yet save, tips for the home mechanic won't hurt
Old 10th March 2013, 12:48   #16
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

The tool didn't work They are incredibly tight. I'll have to take it to a garage. I'm very annoyed
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 15:36   #17
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Default More Grunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahajrb View Post
If you've got a pencil blow torch & apply some heat & perhaps an extension bar to give you a little more torque you might have some success, (suprising how heat can help stubbern nuts & bolts give up), John
Try the above and also using a socket on a T bar with an suitable extension eg piece of scaffolding will help. The extra long wheel braces that are periodically on offer in Lidl's/Aldi are good especially for older drivers. Got one for an 80 year old friend whose wrists aren't what they used to be.

If you've got access to one a 3/4 drive socket set will give more torque although the bigger wall thickness of the sockets means it won't sometimes go on a recessed bolt.

Anybody on here ever try to undo a factory fitted driveshaft off a Rover 800? One of the tightest nuts I've ever sweated over! 8 foot bar to shift it and another to stop it turning. On the Montego one diy manual states that 'the home mechanic may not be able to remove'

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Finally as my kids tell me "Righty Tighty - Lefty Lucy"
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 16:16   #18
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post
The tool didn't work They are incredibly tight. I'll have to take it to a garage. I'm very annoyed
Bit of a pain that is. So far managed to get mine undone with it and now keep it as a back up.

Also when the car's been to the tyre shop first thing I do is get the torque wrench and undo/re-torque.

I think that sometimes the bolts tighten even more due to the driving.
Old 10th March 2013, 16:33   #19
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Last time that wheel was off was when it had a clutch fluid change which was only a few months ago. I've given up on it now, the garage can sort it out. But I will check the torque when I get it back as you say.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 18:37   #20
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
Anybody on here ever try to undo a factory fitted driveshaft off a Rover 800? One of the tightest nuts I've ever sweated over! 8 foot bar to shift it and another to stop it turning. On the Montego one diy manual states that 'the home mechanic may not be able to remove'
yes!! 3/4" Britool socket, 32mm I think and a long extension arm.

I bounced up and down on it and a few hits with a lump hammer and it shifted!

I was young then probably wouldn't bother doing jobs like that now.

Ed.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote